Options for using aftermarket amps

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for using aftermarket amps

Hey,

Just bought myself an '05 TL w/ Navi. I'm really into car audio and as such the system in my car is very important to me. The previous owner put some crap in the car and I'm honestly not even sure what's going on in there, but all the speakers are connected to one amp in the trunk.

The problem is, the system sucks. You can hear a really loud hiss, the amps are always on when the car is on.. (There is some switch under the steering wheel to turn them off.) The front left speakers are having some issues with distortion and make noises when running over bumps. Basically it's a mess. I want to rip the whole thing apart and start fresh.

The first area I really want to focus on is the pre-amp. I'm not sure how everything is currently connected, but I'm pretty sure the installers didn't have the foresight or brainpower to tap into the stock headunit before the OEM amps and just used LOCs. The noise floor is really high currently and the hiss is quite annoying.

What is the best way to get a clean signal from the stock HU? I saw this adapter here:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28

Will that do the trick? Will I need to worry about balanced vs unbalanced at my amp's end?

Also, this is only 4 channel, and I would like to also have a separate sub amp. Is there a way to achieve the same thing for the sub out?

And last, do any of you have any better solutions?

Sorry for the super long post and all the questions, just very confused about how to proceed and frustrated with the current state of affairs.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got any pics of the install?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Well, not sure why pics would really be helpful since it's just an amp in the trunk with 2 RCAs connected to it, and the speaker wires for each channel connected to each of the 4 channels on the amp.

Under the steering wheel, there is a little red switch which presumably sends the REM signal for the amp turn on.

That's about all I can see..

Either way the concept of connecting post OEM amp makes me cringe and that's what I'm trying to solve here..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
TL owner

Originally Posted by hundreth
Well, not sure why pics would really be helpful since it's just an amp in the trunk with 2 RCAs connected to it, and the speaker wires for each channel connected to each of the 4 channels on the amp.

Under the steering wheel, there is a little red switch which presumably sends the REM signal for the amp turn on.

That's about all I can see..

Either way the concept of connecting post OEM amp makes me cringe and that's what I'm trying to solve here..
To possibility see what they did wrong and try to give some advise on how to they caught the signal, where they could of etc. Just trying to help...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Question

hey ur better off just takeing everything out an let apro do the job
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

I'm using this device and it works fine.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by turbocivic94
I'm using this device and it works fine.
Had to create a new username.

Did you use this unit to hook up speakers or a subwoofer as well?

How did you make it work? Is the signal strong and clean?

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by daddytl
hey ur better off just takeing everything out an let apro do the job
Unfortunately a "pro" did the current job I am sure. Not all pros know what they are doing honestly...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
First off good luck with your install; the TL is a fun car for audio mods.

Second, the amps should be on when the car is in ACC or ON. This is because of the HFL and the navi; you will need the audio for these systems so the car is designed to have the audio on when running or in accessory.

There are many A'ziners who have had good success tapping the audio after the stock amp using LOCs so going before the stock amp is not the only way to go.

If you do tap before the stock amp you can just splice into the stock cable assembly or you can build a connector as others have.

Good Luck and check out the many install threads on the site.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
First off good luck with your install; the TL is a fun car for audio mods.

Second, the amps should be on when the car is in ACC or ON. This is because of the HFL and the navi; you will need the audio for these systems so the car is designed to have the audio on when running or in accessory.

There are many A'ziners who have had good success tapping the audio after the stock amp using LOCs so going before the stock amp is not the only way to go.

If you do tap before the stock amp you can just splice into the stock cable assembly or you can build a connector as others have.

Good Luck and check out the many install threads on the site.
Thanks for the good luck, I am going to need it.

I haven't thought about the HFL and navi requirements for the amps to always be on. Currently it is slightly annoying because I can still hear the speakers hiss when no audio is playing at all. This feels like even more reason for me to go the pre stock amp route to lower the noise floor.

I was reading through all the threads about splicing into the stock assembly, but I just don't really understand all the details. There are worries over balanced vs. unbalanced, etc. I feel as though that PAC OEM interface solves those issues for me, but I am simply not sure. Which is why I created my own thread.

On another separate note, I've noticed the car is very rattle prone. Have any of you found any specific areas of the car where sound deadening really helps?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

I'm in the process of doin this in my 07 tl its kind of a pain in the ass I don't know how rude your trying to make your system sound but I bought the line output converter and you have to splice into the factory sub and I'm using the factory hole for airway. You obviously run the power and the remote seperate u can't tie it into the converter but my buddy has the same setup and it hits pretty hard the hardest part is jumpin the remote wire in somewhere without messin anything up what type of subs and amps are you planning on using
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by slow07
I'm in the process of doin this in my 07 tl its kind of a pain in the ass I don't know how rude your trying to make your system sound but I bought the line output converter and you have to splice into the factory sub and I'm using the factory hole for airway. You obviously run the power and the remote seperate u can't tie it into the converter but my buddy has the same setup and it hits pretty hard the hardest part is jumpin the remote wire in somewhere without messin anything up what type of subs and amps are you planning on using
I'm actually more concerned with front speakers sounding good than the sub. I'm not trying to make my system sound rude, just really clean and accurate for me. Don't really care if the block hears it. The sub I'll be using can get loud though.

TC Sounds LMS-R 12 mated to a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 for the sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-658

For speakers, I'm not sure yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Invest in a processor.

Not some bs like a cleansweep

Look into the rockford 3sixty.2, audison bit.1, and jbl ms8
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Invest in a processor.

Not some bs like a cleansweep

Look into the rockford 3sixty.2, audison bit.1, and jbl ms8

Is the processor going to be used to correct the OEM amp's craziness or can they be connected directly to the stock HU and used only as a line driver/EQ?

The reason I ask is because it seems that PAC harness totally removes the need for a cleansweep or anything like it.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get yourself a 3sixty.2 you will i went your route with a LOC and after everything still ended up with a 3sixty. The sound is 10x better than any LOC out there.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by eduardmc
get yourself a 3sixty.2 you will i went your route with a LOC and after everything still ended up with a 3sixty. The sound is 10x better than any LOC out there.
Is the 3sixty.2 connected pre or post OEM amp?

Everyone keeps mentioning processors, but I fail to see why these complicated processors are needed when that harness gives a flat response. The cleansweep and the 3sixty.2 are primarily meant to compensate for the stock headunit's warped frequency response. The only other benefit would be the EQs and crossovers, but I can achieve most of that with a much cheaper unit such as an AudioControl processor.

I don't see the purpose in spending all that money compensating for the stock headunit when that PAC harness does it for you, with less noise to boot.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Are you gonna be using amps?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Are you gonna be using amps?
Yes, I will be using amps for both the sub and aftermarket speakers.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

It sounds pretty good with loc.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 AM
chase

how do i find the stock amp
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by turbocivic94
It sounds pretty good with loc.
I thought the point of the device is to not need a LOC..

I'm now more confused...
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hundrethfoo
I thought the point of the device is to not need a LOC..

I'm now more confused...
I meant to say pac audio.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
9th Gear

I was looking at this thread, I want to do the same thing with my system, 07 TL w/Navi.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 PM
9th Gear

Hey Hundreth, please let me know what setup you plan on using.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Racer

I am using a 3sixty.2 and installing it after the factory amp, as suggested in threads around here and from RF themself.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hundrethfoo
Is the 3sixty.2 connected pre or post OEM amp?

Everyone keeps mentioning processors, but I fail to see why these complicated processors are needed when that harness gives a flat response. The cleansweep and the 3sixty.2 are primarily meant to compensate for the stock headunit's warped frequency response. The only other benefit would be the EQs and crossovers, but I can achieve most of that with a much cheaper unit such as an AudioControl processor.

I don't see the purpose in spending all that money compensating for the stock headunit when that PAC harness does it for you, with less noise to boot.

like i said, i had different LOC from crap like raptor to good one like soundgate and to me LOC are crap to what 3sixty can do. i'm glad i got it cause my system sound 2x better and can do thing not possible with any LOC.

This is what i'm running

front - BOSTON PRO60 COMPONENT (cross to 70hz)
rear - coaxial polks (fillers)
sub - JL 12W7 2cubic ported box tune 30hz (cross to 63hz)
4channel - PDX 150.4 running passive might go active soon.
mono amp - pdx 1000.1 powering jl 12w7

my system sound loud but more important sound very clean and detail not really overpowering. Super clean bass with good midbass (second skin dampering pro sealed doors).