Old Navigation Topic Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Navigation Topic Revisited

I too am getting the “DVD Disc reading error please consult your dealer” message. I’ve spent numerous hours poring over all kinds of Acura threads trying to figure out what how to address the issue. Looks as though the vast majority of people first check that the disc is clean and free of scratches (which mine is), then they try the method of cleaning the lens (which I tried), but if that doesn’t work then they simply send in to Alpine along with $400+ to be fixed. However, times are tough and money is tight plus I enjoy tinkering. So, I currently have my navigation unit on my work bench completely disassembled. Does anyone have a trouble shooting manual, tips, or any general expertise that may help me to problem resolve and fix my 2004 TL navigation unit so I don’t have to send it off for repair?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
you have your nav unit or the DVD drive in the trunk on your bench? The drive is the culprit.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:10 PM
10th Gear

I pulled the navigation unit out of the trunk.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:05 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The most common problem is that DVD drive mechanism itself is shot. Alpine wound up replacing mine.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

Is there any way to test/trouble shoot the issue with the unit out of the car?
Any suggestions as to where purchase the drive?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
You may want to buy a used trunk navi unit from LKQ pick your part in Cincinnati. They currently show 9 2000-2003 2G cars in stock. Cost=approx. $30. Experience tells me that the probability of at least one of those nine cars being navi equipped, is quite high. If you decide to try a used DVD drive, make sure to get the VIN number from the salvage car. You will need the vin # and the DVD drive serial # in order to retrieve the "unlock" code from the Acura owners web site. After having issues with the DVD drive in my 03 TLS two years ago, I bought a used unit from a salvage car, and it has worked perfectly ever since. The only down-side to buying a used unit, is that if the DVD drive removed from the salvage car, has been replaced in the past, obtaining the correct unlock code could be an issue. You can eliminate the code issue, as well as the possibility of selecting an in-operable navi unit, by purchasing an LKQ warranty. The warranty is available for an additional cost of approximately $10.00. This alternative resource is much more practical,cost wise, than having the original DVD drive repaired.