Ok Boys N Girls I got JL AUDIO CLEANSWEEP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We just did a 2005 BMW X5 where I would have loved to have had the Clean Sweep on the fixed-level OPs of the HU to the amp, instead of the multi-LOC-and-summing-outputs-and-watching-the-phase-cancellation-in-the-stopband that I had to then solve.

Unfortunately, retaining the OEM steering wheel volume was a contingency of the sale. (I think the OEM 7-band graphic EQ lives in the OEM amp as well, and retaining that was also a contingency.)

I'd love to see a version of the CS with variable filters to sum overlapping outputs back together again.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
I would say that you do want to insert some kind of signal correction on the fronts. I hereby officially restrict any past comments of mine about to Clean Sweep to non-3G TL owners.
eldude:

A bit off topic, but if one were to incorporate CleanSweep into a 3G TL, what would you recommend for aftermarket speakers, considering your approach to keep the highs and mids up front?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
2005 WDP TL

So are you guys saying the Cleansweep is absolutely necessary or not in the 04-5 TL?

My system is being installed Thursday and they are holding a CLEANSWEEP for me. I was going to install a system very similar to the JL employee's with the exception of Focal coax speakers in the front and rear. I would prefer to have my car apart only once and everything perform (control wise) as if it were stock. I only own to DVD-As, one that I like, so losing the center in exchange for staging isn't a big deal. I also don't want any trunk rattling so if anyone could post pics of their sub install (box) that would be great.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

for those in the thread who don't know what the cleansweep is, it's a four channel device that automatically adjusts itself to take all the equalization done by the factory radio (it's different at lower and higher volume levels) to make the factory speakers sound better and neutralizes it. this way you have a nice even signal to work with. it also takes the signal and boosts it up to 8v wich is higher than most aftermarket decks. if you want to retain the 5.1 and the other functions there is one way to do it. just get 2 cleansweeps, use one for the 4 regular speakers, and the other for the sub and the center. WIRE THEM UP ANYWHERE BETWEEN THE FACTORY AMPS AND THE SPEAKERS. this will give you the strongest signal to work with. the only down side is if you want to use the aux in, you have to split it to go into both cleansweeps. this allows you to keep all the functions of the factory system.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:04 AM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by 2evil05
for those in the thread who don't know what the cleansweep is, it's a four channel device that automatically adjusts itself to take all the equalization done by the factory radio (it's different at lower and higher volume levels) to make the factory speakers sound better and neutralizes it. this way you have a nice even signal to work with. it also takes the signal and boosts it up to 8v wich is higher than most aftermarket decks. if you want to retain the 5.1 and the other functions there is one way to do it. just get 2 cleansweeps, use one for the 4 regular speakers, and the other for the sub and the center. WIRE THEM UP ANYWHERE BETWEEN THE FACTORY AMPS AND THE SPEAKERS. this will give you the strongest signal to work with. the only down side is if you want to use the aux in, you have to split it to go into both cleansweeps. this allows you to keep all the functions of the factory system.
I know what it is.......I want to know two things about it/the car......Is the onboard eq noticeable when the speakers and amplifiers are replaced?

What do I need to do to input my ipod mini and be able to access the controls of the ipod? Long cable to Cleansweep unit?

Did the JL guy install the cleansweep in the kick panel or in the trunk of the vehicle?

Thanks ahead for any information...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
Did the JL guy install the cleansweep in the kick panel or in the trunk of the vehicle?
The CleanSweep was mounted in the trunk. I think it's a bit too big for the kickpanel. Plus, on the JL install, they retained the stock amp in the kick panel solely for HFL and Navi voice to run through the center channel.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

question

Originally Posted by Silver Sultan
What are your rims and tires? By the way I had a 8 inch Momo sub installed and an Alpine amp. I disconnected the stock sub and it sounds amazing. My friends who own TL's love the sound. The bass is rock solid, deep, and tight. I love being able to control the sub output. I just bought everything from crutchfield and had a local installer put it together. I wish I had the skills to put it together on my own.
hey i was wondering did you install the sub in the rear deck in place of the stock? if so how and does it sound that much better?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

kyle-wdp: as i'm sure you already know, the auto eq that the els has changes the eq curve pretty dramatically as you raise and lower the volume levels. mainly for more lows and less highs @ low volume and the opposite for higher volume. if you change out the amps and speakers you will first of all have a signal that is not clean at all, and the eq will give you too much bass and too little trebe when it's turned down and the opposite when you turn it up. it will be very noticable. the cleansweep fixes all this. as for the ipod, you have the right idea. some companies such as pie and blitzsafe are making them so that we can use factory controls but i don't think they have one for the tl. so you have to run a cable from the cleansweep up to where you are.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:40 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by msmith
It's possible we may do a 5.1 version in the future, GoBig.

How many of you guys listen to DVD-Audio discs in your cars on a regular basis? I'm just curious what the ratio of CD to DVD-A listening is among TL drivers.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
I LOVE the 5.1 feature.

In all reality, I would not install anything in my car that would lose that functionality.

Lee
Old 08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2evil05
kyle-wdp: as i'm sure you already know, the auto eq that the els has changes the eq curve pretty dramatically as you raise and lower the volume levels. mainly for more lows and less highs @ low volume and the opposite for higher volume. if you change out the amps and speakers you will first of all have a signal that is not clean at all, and the eq will give you too much bass and too little trebe when it's turned down and the opposite when you turn it up. it will be very noticable. the cleansweep fixes all this. as for the ipod, you have the right idea. some companies such as pie and blitzsafe are making them so that we can use factory controls but i don't think they have one for the tl. so you have to run a cable from the cleansweep up to where you are.
Very well said, its even more noticeable when you have aftermarket subs.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by khungerf
I LOVE the 5.1 feature.

In all reality, I would not install anything in my car that would lose that functionality.

Lee
I wouldn't either, but isnt it possible to intall the clean sweep and keep the center ch. running on the stock amp?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

We used the inputs to the factory amplifier (rather than the outputs).

I thought the inputs from the factory stereo to the amp were digital? that's what my local stero shop told me. I have a ton of stuff from my previous auto I want to move to my TL, Mostly JL by the way you guys make great stuff. I was told there is another company working on a digital analog converter.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
could you not....if you want, use 2 cleansweeps and therefore solve the 5.1 problem?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
could you not....if you want, use 2 cleansweeps and therefore solve the 5.1 problem?
that's actually the perfect way to do it.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Hey Silver Sultan, your ride looks sic on your avatar. could you post a pic of it?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

how do u use the aux input on that thing from buttons on the dash? If i wanna plug an mp3 player or a carpc into my systems audio, how would i change from xm/fm/cd to the aux input? thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 08:06 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

btw, when you put in the cleansweep and new amps/speakers, do you still have the functionality where the GPS mutes the front speakers while the voice directions are being said? i assume all the steering wheel controls for am/fm/xm/navi/bt are still in tact correct?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:00 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by Chita79
btw, when you put in the cleansweep and new amps/speakers, do you still have the functionality where the GPS mutes the front speakers while the voice directions are being said? i assume all the steering wheel controls for am/fm/xm/navi/bt are still in tact correct?

you keep all that funcionality.. cleansweep is great.. you get used to the volume knob and it becomes second nature.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:01 AM
321 whp SAE

how do u use the aux input on that thing from buttons on the dash? If i wanna plug an mp3 player or a carpc into my systems audio, how would i change from xm/fm/cd to the aux input? thanks

when you push in the volume knob on the Cleansweep, it switches to the aux source.. very easy... works great
Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

bklynpanman, how about the center channel? what did u do with it? im assuing you kept it connected to the stock amp. Do you hear the BT/GPS from there still? Does it still mute the front speakers when a call comes in or when it tells u directions? thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

msmith.... let me just confirm something real quick with you, when you put in the cleansweep, the volume up/down controls on the steering wheel are pretty much useless? (since u should use the JL volume knob)
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 AM
321 whp SAE

bklynpanman, how about the center channel? what did u do with it? im assuing you kept it connected to the stock amp. Do you hear the BT/GPS from there still? Does it still mute the front speakers when a call comes in or when it tells u directions? thanks
center channel is still connected to the stock amp.. the bt comes through the front 2 speakers like it always did .. yes calls still mute the front speakers..
Old 10-20-2005, 05:48 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

would you guys suggest the JL Audo XR 6.5" component and coaxial systems for the TL? i want to make sure i get speakers that would be more or less drop in replacements for the stock speakers. Any suggestions? XR components for front and coaxials in the back. I already have an eclipse 12" with a kicker sub in the back. I would def. be getting the cleansweep as well! thanks guys
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Racer

Quick question, if I'm just installing an sub and amp for the sub, do I really need the cleansweap? Can't I just run the tapped wires into the amp without anything in between? Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Originally Posted by encrypted03
Quick question, if I'm just installing an sub and amp for the sub, do I really need the cleansweap? Can't I just run the tapped wires into the amp without anything in between? Thanks in advance
I've got an aftermarket sub/amp in the back without cleansweep.... but the problem is... you will never get the proper sound outta the bass until u get the cleansweep because my factory navi head unit isnt giving my sub the low frequencies that it should be getting. That is why im gonna get that JL CleanSweep, aftermarket speakers & amps. Hope that helps!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:06 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

hey guys... im gonna putting a JL Audio XR system/Cleansweep in my 05 TL next weekend, so ill post some pics when its all done... it should sound sweeeeet
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
2005 WDP TL

does anyone have pics of one installed? Can the volume knob be installed in the punch out panel to the left of the steering wheel?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
does anyone have pics of one installed? Can the volume knob be installed in the punch out panel to the left of the steering wheel?
yes... i have mine installed to the right of the steering wheel in the panel...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:22 AM
lilvinnyb

My Thread

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
yes... i have mine installed to the right of the steering wheel in the panel...
I have a thread titles "audio mod pics" where I show some pictures of the installation of the clean sweep knob!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
2005 WDP TL

WHat kind of cable is required to connect the ipod into the cleansweep? How long would I need if I wanted an ipod in my center console? I am guessing 10 ft???

Is it just a rca to ipod cable?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
04 TL Black on Black

So now would I need a clean sweep if im just installing a mono amp with a subwoofer?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msmith
It's possible we may do a 5.1 version in the future, GoBig.

How many of you guys listen to DVD-Audio discs in your cars on a regular basis? I'm just curious what the ratio of CD to DVD-A listening is among TL drivers.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
I just got my TL, had 1700km on the dash. I just learned how to burn DVD-A from DVD video discs!!! It is awsome to have this feature.

I have the Tiesto in concerts and Armin Only DVDs. Got the DTS 5.1 sound ripped off the DVDs and damn..... At one point I was happy with the stock ELS system. ONce I try the DTS dvd-a I burnt. I found that I will be happier if the 5.1 ELS system can gives me that powerful theater aura!! The studio soundscape/stage ELS wants to reproduce is awsome but I, personally, preferred a set of somewhat more powerful speakers/amps.

It rocks to be able to burn your own 5.1 DVD-A from DVD video concerts. Now i'm itching to put my old system in the TL. I have the u-dimension and HCCAs sitting in my storage.

So I'm learning and observing from reading what you guys said. I wish we could find a good way to implement aftermarket audio components in the TLs while we can keep the 5.1 feature of the stock system.

My old system sound super crisp and loud with the u-dimesion and orion amps. But I like the fact that the ELS system is very well researched and fine tuned.

The chances of listening to 5.1 DVD-A are great man! If you are not lazy to find good DVD Video concerts and burn your own DVD-A discs.

I know this is an old post but I just wanna voice my opinion.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Cleansweep a great product, but not needed on the TL.

Originally Posted by elduderino
Well, here's the deal:

1) Acura systems use a "single-ended" preamp output. That means that it's the same signal carried by an RCA cable, it just doesn't have an RCA end on it.

The Clean Sweep is designed to interface with head units that don't have "single-ended" outputs - speaker wire outputs or balanced line outputs, which Acura's don't use.

So that type of interface, which would be useful, say, in a 2005 BMW X5, is not needed by an Acura owner.

2) Other Acura systems lack any sort of signal equalization (i.e., built-in "tuning" for the car) inside the HU. When they have it, its in the amp or another external device.

The Clean Sweep is designed to have an equalizer inside to reverse the effects of such equalization and give you as flat a frequency response as possible.

But that feature is not applicable if the signal is already flat. So I was asking if JL has actually RTA'd (measured with an audio analyzer) the signal to the OEM amp. I am open to believing that the signal is EQ'd, but in the absence of evidence I am more inclined to believe that the signal was flat until it got inside the amp, and there was an EQ circuit inside the amp.

If the signal is flat out of the HU, then the Clean Sweep is not needed to reverse any OEM EQ effects.

3) I have not yet tested the 3G TL. However, the TSX has a clean and undistorted single-ended preamp output all the way to 40 on the volume control. I have had IASCA-winning installers tell me that the TSX is the cleanest-sounding OEM HU they've ever worked with. I'd put my OEM HU TSX system up against any Clean Sweep car for SQ comparison (it has $800 of MSRP gear in it).

So "cleaning up the sound" is also not an issue, if the 3g TL HU is as good as the TSX HU (and I beleive that it is). I've heard a 3G TL with all aftermarket amplification and I didn't hear any distortion in it at all that I would associate with a crappy HU preamp signal.

In conclusion, I wouldn't want to recommend the JL Clean Sweep to anyone as a $400 solution to a problem that they don't have... so that's why I asked for RTA (audio analyzer) information. That's the only reason that anyone who doesn't work for JL would want to put one of these in their car.
I have to agree with elduderino, cleansweep isn't the best way to go for the TL. You're better off spending that $$$ on a EQ like the audiocontrol DQS for SQ or USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y for iPod/aux.

I just put a cleansweep in my wife's scion xB with factory head unit since it does DSP processing / EQ in a volume sensitive way (turn the volume up, bass goes down). It worked great in that application since it was a) heavily EQed at the factory deck (auto eq helped here), and 2) HU did volume sensistive EQ using DSP (seperate volume control helped here). In this situation, the cleansweep external volume control and auto EQ gets rid of the volume dependent EQ in the factory HU and gives a clean, flat preamp signal (although with the extra component in the system I did notice a little more noise in the system, but that could have been due to other factors like line noise, connectors, etc.).

In my 04 TL we interfaced the factory HU preamp outs directly to the DQS which gives you 6 independent channels with a 30 band DSP graphic EQ for EACH channel for $500-$700. If you're looking to build a SQ system I'd go with an DQS. This way the installer can fine-tune your car to eek out the absolute best response after the xover and levels are set correctly.

For simpler jobs on the TL, a basic line driver (<$100) or 2/4 channel EQ (<$200)would do the trick. Not to mention, why have a separate volume knob when you don't have to? It just adds clutter to your car and breaks the expected behavior of the factory volume knob AND the steering wheel volume control which totally sucks. If you need iPod or Aux get a USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y. With the USA-SPEC you can change to iPod/Aux and toggle between the two from the factory deck using CD changer controls while retaining XM too.

Don't get me wrong, the cleansweep is a great product for certain situations, but we don't need it on the TL and you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere. The sweet spot for the cleansweep is:

1) trying to solve the volume sensitive DSP auto EQ that's being added to a lot of factory HU these days

2) 30 band 4 channel auto eq. of heavily EQed factory decks for
- people doing a self install that don't have and/or know how to tune a system using a spectrum analyzer
or
- installers that just want to slam something out instead of taking the time to properly interface with the factory HU to shave a little labor off the install and still make the $$$ on cleansweep markup.

Here's what cleansweep needs to do to really shine:
- volume autosensing (which admittedly would be really tricky) so you didn't have to have a seperate volume knob and could retain steering wheel controls
- provide adjustable EQ so you can tune the system (everything else is already there, it's a waste of a 30-band 4 channel EQ not to expose it)
- 6 channels instead of 4

TL doesn't have volume sensistive DSP or a heavily EQed factory deck, so what exactly is the cleansweep doing for $400, or $800 for 2 to support 5.1???

Audiocontrol DQS
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.?fus...roduct_ID=1256

USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1006
Old 09-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bTwix
I have to agree with elduderino, cleansweep isn't the best way to go for the TL. You're better off spending that $$$ on a EQ like the audiocontrol DQS for SQ or USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y for iPod/aux.

I just put a cleansweep in my wife's scion xB with factory head unit since it does DSP processing / EQ in a volume sensitive way (turn the volume up, bass goes down). It worked great in that application since it was a) heavily EQed at the factory deck (auto eq helped here), and 2) HU did volume sensistive EQ using DSP (seperate volume control helped here). In this situation, the cleansweep external volume control and auto EQ gets rid of the volume dependent EQ in the factory HU and gives a clean, flat preamp signal (although with the extra component in the system I did notice a little more noise in the system, but that could have been due to other factors like line noise, connectors, etc.).

In my 04 TL we interfaced the factory HU preamp outs directly to the DQS which gives you 6 independent channels with a 30 band DSP graphic EQ for EACH channel for $500-$700. If you're looking to build a SQ system I'd go with an DQS. This way the installer can fine-tune your car to eek out the absolute best response after the xover and levels are set correctly.

For simpler jobs on the TL, a basic line driver (<$100) or 2/4 channel EQ (<$200)would do the trick. Not to mention, why have a separate volume knob when you don't have to? It just adds clutter to your car and breaks the expected behavior of the factory volume knob AND the steering wheel volume control which totally sucks. If you need iPod or Aux get a USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y. With the USA-SPEC you can change to iPod/Aux and toggle between the two from the factory deck using CD changer controls while retaining XM too.

Don't get me wrong, the cleansweep is a great product for certain situations, but we don't need it on the TL and you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere. The sweet spot for the cleansweep is:

1) trying to solve the volume sensitive DSP auto EQ that's being added to a lot of factory HU these days

2) 30 band 4 channel auto eq. of heavily EQed factory decks for
- people doing a self install that don't have and/or know how to tune a system using a spectrum analyzer
or
- installers that just want to slam something out instead of taking the time to properly interface with the factory HU to shave a little labor off the install and still make the $$$ on cleansweep markup.

Here's what cleansweep needs to do to really shine:
- volume autosensing (which admittedly would be really tricky) so you didn't have to have a seperate volume knob and could retain steering wheel controls
- provide adjustable EQ so you can tune the system (everything else is already there, it's a waste of a 30-band 4 channel EQ not to expose it)
- 6 channels instead of 4

TL doesn't have volume sensistive DSP or a heavily EQed factory deck, so what exactly is the cleansweep doing for $400, or $800 for 2 to support 5.1???

Audiocontrol DQS
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.?fus...roduct_ID=1256

USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1006

Right on, kudo to bTwix and elduderino. This is exactly what I was wondering. Using a 6 channel EQ with RCA outputs may do the work. This thread confirmed my thoughts!!!

Now the only question/confusion I have is (I'm still confused even if i read so many posts): Do we still get 5.1 if we bypass the digital stock amp, means taking the signal directly from the headunit and taking the stock amp away, then connect the signal it to the EQ? Just want to make sure.

Peace
Old 09-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Have any of you tried this out? Rockford Fosgate has come out with a signal processor called the 3sixty. This would solve all of your problems.

3sixty
Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
Have any of you tried this out? Rockford Fosgate has come out with a signal processor called the 3sixty. This would solve all of your problems.

3sixty
The 3SIXTY.2 looks pretty good on paper: user customizable EQ, xovers, etc.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...7&locale=en_US

The 3SIXTY.1 doesn't have user customizable EQ and less frequency centers.

However, most amps have xovers built in so xovers wouldn't matter that much. Also the 3SIXTY external volume control is just a useless feature when used in the TL and it just adds clutter and potentially line noise.

If you're getting it professionally installed or have a RTSA, I think a DQS or other standard EQ paired is the best choice for the TL. If you're doing it yourself the 3SIXTY.2 could be the way to go since it has autoeq.

But in the TL you're not going to want to spend $$$ on an EQ unless you've taken care of the basics first: clean signal, good amps, speakers, deadening, xover, levels. So save $300-400 on the EQ and go for a line driver to get clean signal and spend the extra $$ on install/deadening and you'll end up with a much better sounding car.

You really only need EQ to fine tune your system.