Non Navi/ Carputer?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Navi/ Carputer?...

If I get a non navi 04 TL, is it possible to do the touch screen carputer like many people have done on the site..I'm not sure what I would need to buy, or install to do this, but thought maybe you guys could help..So if I want the carputer with the non navi, I think you have to cut the stock head unit, so it fits a 8' screen? Can you guys show me what I need, and the prices..Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black04
If I get a non navi 04 TL, is it possible to do the touch screen carputer like many people have done on the site..I'm not sure what I would need to buy, or install to do this, but thought maybe you guys could help..So if I want the carputer with the non navi, I think you have to cut the stock head unit, so it fits a 8' screen? Can you guys show me what I need, and the prices..Thanks
Check out the applicable threads by moahdib, King of Pain, and ITL over at mp3car.com forums section. The screen most use in the non-navi is a 7" Xenarc or Lilliput touch screen...this will let you install for an almost perfect fit with no enlargement of the screen opening where the stock LCD panel was...but some have cut to fit an 8". You have a lot of reading and research to do, and will have to decide on a computer, how to power the computer, brand/type of screen and control, which front end to use, how you are going to get sound out (soundcard, auxilliary adaptor for stock radio or output to aftermarket amps and new speakers), and what you're going to do about the OEM LCD where the screen goes (cut and extend 44 wires to put it anywhere else, and no real PC interface for AC data on the TL exists yet, afaik)...if you're willing and have the time, it's a great solution, but a drop-in-and-forget it is not.

From the point of view of someone just starting out, I'd look at it as a continuous hobby rather than a short-term project, unless you pay to have the install done for you. It's kept me busy for the past 6 months, but I am nearing completion.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

As "Hi There" was sayin, its not a small thing to do. First you need a good knowledge of computers. Because your gonna have to build and install alot of things for the first time of your life.

You also need to be good in electronic, because you have lots of wires to pass or cut.

You also need a good budget, cause you'll see that day after another you'll need another little parts.$$$$

The best way to begin a project like this, is to get the most information you need depending on what is your goal. Ask questions to the guys who already did it in their car. Then you'll need to create a sheme(electronic and visual) of what you intend to create. After you have enough information find someone that could help you for the installation and for the computer configuration (2 brain is always better).

I've just began my project so keep reading im gonna begin an STEP-BY-STEP soon with pictures as I go on with my project (with details)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi There
Check out the applicable threads by moahdib, King of Pain, and ITL over at mp3car.com forums section.
They have threads on this forum as well. A quick search for carputer will bring them up.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Check : www.mp3car.com you'll find everything you need and more!