No NAVI TL Options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crm_codder
You have about 10 years before you will speak about, I guess this is the age you are getting wife’s here?
For now using build in NAVI you could get to the Walgreens and get pampers for your dog and yourself.
First off learn to read and speak proper english. If you read above, I said that I don't have a wife. "You have about 10 years before you will speak about" - wtf does that mean? Yes I need Pampers!! (I don't understand where that is coming from, maybe you are saying I will need them in 10 years due to age, but apparently you are 39 so you must go through a lot of them then). BTW ass, my dog is 13 yrs old and has cancer so she can't control it, but I guess you think that's funny.

I like how you had nothing to say in response to my upgraded tires comment, instead you say I need Pampers.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamNJ
First off learn to read and speak proper english. If you read above, I said that I don't have a wife. "You have about 10 years before you will speak about" - wtf does that mean? Yes I need Pampers!! (I don't understand where that is coming from, maybe you are saying I will need them in 10 years due to age, but apparently you are 39 so you must go through a lot of them then). BTW ass, my dog is 13 yrs old and has cancer so she can't control it, but I guess you think that's funny.

I like how you had nothing to say in response to my upgraded tires comment, instead you say I need Pampers.

Confused, sorry. Instead, because ... to much ..
I am trying to say that at your age I have something better to do rather then poking NAVI. You are giving suggestions and getting them back.
Is this English OK to you son?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:52 PM
loves his TL!

i too use a Dell AX30 -- but mainly as a PDA -- contacts, calendar, etc. furthermore, this is just like comparing apples to oranges. the Acura NAV is just that, a NAV system. and a PDA is just that, a PDA. both do well in what they were designed to do. IMHO, a PDA NAV device CAN be compared to the Acura NAV, but the Acura NAV beats it hands down. PDAs are great, dont get me wrong, but as a NAV device, i think the Acura NAV has it beat.

PDA Pros:

1. Portability
2. Programmability
3. Cost

Acura NAV Pros:

1. Voice Command
2. Points of Interest
3. integration with HFL
Im sure there are more Pros (and Cons) but like i said, its just like comparing apples to oranges! peace!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly Hello!!!

PDA can do anything, same like your home pc. Write program and it will do it.
Voice - activation known technology and first created for PC and not by Acura.
Need example, Microsoft Voice Commander.
Mount is worthless, PDA using Bluetooth connection and I could pass it to my wife to hold it and read instructions. As well as listen. Can you pass build in to somewhere?
Can you pass your Acura GPS to another car or track or bike or boat?
Portability, expandability and independence. As well as speed, colors and memory (price!!!!).
Stop by Starbacks, drink coffee and get your emails. Connect to your Bluetooth enabled phone and get connected. Can you get connected? Can you transfer huge Contact list in seconds without tapping screen inside your Acura?
It's about having the right tool for the job. For PDA functions, I carry a Treo 650. It is constantly synched with my corporate and personal email, contacts, to-do, etc. I don't even need to be near a computer. For portable GPS, I have a small Garmin unit which is fun for hikes, geocaching, etc. For a computer, I have a PC and a couple of Macs. For in-car navigation, I have the built-in system in my TL. To log into a wireless hotspot, I use a PowerBook.

You conveniently ignored the things I mentioned that can ONLY be done with the built-in system, regardless of the software you install in your PDA. Maybe it's because English is not your first language, but your writing style makes you seem like an intolerant ass. You don't come into a forum full of enthusiasts and blast them for the objects of their enthusiasm. I love PDAs and am glad you've got a setup that you're happy with. Leave it at that. Don't belittle people who chose a different route to navigation happiness. By your logic, you would be bashing people who opt for a nice sound system in their car because you just use an MP3 portable with headphones in yours. The advantages are about the same: Cheaper, transferrable to different places, sounds great, etc.

If you don't mount your PDA system, how do you see the map while driving? What if your wife isn't in the car with you to hold it?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by bluenoise
but your writing style makes you seem like an intolerant ass.

If you don't mount your PDA system, how do you see the map while driving? What if your wife isn't in the car with you to hold it?
Well since he has "something better to do rather then poking NAVI" my guess is that his wife is always 'poking the NAVI' for him because she doesn't have anything better to do.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i use dell pda + bt gps reciever too. works great.

most of the time, you drive the same route everyday. so pda option is good enough.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
i too use a Dell AX30 -- but mainly as a PDA -- contacts, calendar, etc. furthermore, this is just like comparing apples to oranges. the Acura NAV is just that, a NAV system. and a PDA is just that, a PDA. both do well in what they were designed to do. IMHO, a PDA NAV device CAN be compared to the Acura NAV, but the Acura NAV beats it hands down. PDAs are great, dont get me wrong, but as a NAV device, i think the Acura NAV has it beat.

PDA Pros:

1. Portability
2. Programmability
3. Cost

Acura NAV Pros:

1. Voice Command
2. Points of Interest
3. integration with HFL
Im sure there are more Pros (and Cons) but like i said, its just like comparing apples to oranges! peace!

Ok and what for you are using PDA (and a PDA is just that, a PDA)?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamNJ

Well since he has "something better to do rather then poking NAVI" my guess is that his wife is always 'poking the NAVI' for him because she doesn't have anything better to do.
Confused again... Who is poking whom? Plus this interesting picture with two male near with AdamNJ ...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leo221
i use dell pda + bt gps reciever too. works great.

most of the time, you drive the same route everyday. so pda option is good enough.

Finally I am getting people without Acura NAVI!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nickademus
Personally, I've owned many PDA's, and currently use a Garmin GPS on my motorcycle.
1. The lower cost Garmins don't give turn-by-turn directions.
2. They're just not even close to the ease of use and hands-free capabilities of the Acura system.
3. What are you so angry about? You have a nice car. Some people probably like you.
According with people on other forums (not lame/build NAVI oriented) best software for GPS is made by TOMTOM and some other companies. GRP receiver for TOMTOM device is also one of the best in GPS sensitivity tests. Garmin having maps issues and much worse in compare with 3D Tomtom maps. TOMTOM is only GPS software for PDA yet suporting true VGA screen.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Instructor

And what would you do to transfer these constantly synched contacts to build in GPS? What is the point to have 5 devices if you need one? I guess you need toys?
I have vacuum cleaner and dishwasher, so what?
I am super enthusiast of my TL but I don't like when people could not provide arguments except - I love it, looks better, could play dvd with small change, could find restaurant with voice ...
Also title saying NO NAVI, and i wouldn't enter if this is not for me. Don't you know that Acura TL could be without NAVI?
My logic is simple in this case - if you are inserting messages about this topic, should you at least open web page and take a look what is PDA? ... etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Instructor

It's about having the right tool for the job. For PDA functions, I carry a Treo 650. It is constantly synched with my corporate and personal email, contacts, to-do, etc. I don't even need to be near a computer. For portable GPS, I have a small Garmin unit which is fun for hikes, geocaching, etc. For a computer, I have a PC and a couple of Macs. For in-car navigation, I have the built-in system in my TL. To log into a wireless hotspot, I use a PowerBook.

You conveniently ignored the things I mentioned that can ONLY be done with the built-in system, regardless of the software you install in your PDA. Maybe it's because English is not your first language, but your writing style makes you seem like an intolerant ass. You don't come into a forum full of enthusiasts and blast them for the objects of their enthusiasm. I love PDAs and am glad you've got a setup that you're happy with. Leave it at that. Don't belittle people who chose a different route to navigation happiness. By your logic, you would be bashing people who opt for a nice sound system in their car because you just use an MP3 portable with headphones in yours. The advantages are about the same: Cheaper, transferrable to different places, sounds great, etc.

And what would you do to transfer these constantly synched contacts to build in GPS? What is the point to have 5 devices if you need one? I guess you need toys?
I have vacuum cleaner and dishwasher, so what?
I am super enthusiast of my TL but I don't like when people could not provide arguments except - I love it, looks better, could play dvd with small change, could find restaurant with voice ...
Also title saying NO NAVI, and i wouldn't enter if this is not for me. Don't you know that Acura TL could be without NAVI?
My logic is simple in this case - if you are inserting messages about this topic, should you at least open web page and take a look what is PDA? ... etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

If you have a dishwasher and a vacuum, would you rather they both be contained in the same device so you could more easily transfer them from house to house? There are more arguments besides the ones you listed. Since you aren't reading all of the posts, here's a quick recap of a few things the "lame" built-in navi can do that you can't:

- Adjust airflow from the vents to keep the cabin temperature more even.
- Turn down the audio system to provide directions
- Display a large map/directions on the dash without obstructing any other functionality/glovebox/airbags.
- Respond to voice commands after a flick of a steering wheel button.

Yes, the TomTom Go looks like a great box. I considered getting one for my wife's car now that we love having navi in my car. Of course, the TTG can't sync contacts, run different software or connect to the hotspot at the local coffee house, so I'm not sure why you like it.

If you truly want to discuss Nav options for non-nav TLs, then do it. But don't cry when we Nav guys call you on your "Lame build-in nav" BS and your insulting comments. I have nav, but opened this thread because I'm interested in what others are doing with technology. Your setup sounds great. I am just put off by the crap you post with the useful information.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Instructor

I have mount, sure I have. People giving stupid arguments that you still need to glue your PDA to the dash or tape it ... etc. Then I have no choice just to explain that it is connected wirelessly to the receiver using Bluetooth and no needs for mount. And if I need I could pass it to the passenger....daaaaa or to my wife.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I have mount, sure I have. People giving stupid arguments that you still need to glue your PDA to the dash or tape it ... etc. Then I have no choice just to explain that it is connected wirelessly to the receiver using Bluetooth and no needs for mount. And if I need I could pass it to the passenger....daaaaa or to my wife.
The bluetooth link sounds cool. I love bluetooth for this sort of thing. The reason I'm asking about the mount is because I'm wondering how you look at the screen while driving, unless you're holding it in your hand or it's sliding around on top of your cup-holder cover.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Instructor

- Adjust airflow from the vents to keep the cabin temperature more even.
- Turn down the audio system to provide directions
- Display a large map/directions on the dash without obstructing any other functionality/glovebox/airbags.
- Respond to voice commands after a flick of a steering wheel button.
OK, sound better, this is all?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Instructor

The bluetooth link sounds cool. I love bluetooth for this sort of thing. The reason I'm asking about the mount is because I'm wondering how you look at the screen while driving, unless you're holding it in your hand or it's sliding around on top of your cup-holder cover.
I have mount, see my post above.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

OK, sound better, this is all?
No, there are more things. Those just came to mind first. For example, another thing the built-in does that I'm guessing your solution doesn't is dead-reckoning when it's out of GPS range (in tunnels, parking structures, etc.). It uses the car's speedometer and a set of accelerometers to try to track the car's movements when it can't establish a signal from the GPS network. Another thing is that it is relatively hard to steal, compared to aftermarket nav systems. And, no, the list is still not complete.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:05 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I have mount, see my post above.
Which post? This one?
Mount? I don’t need mount it is Bluetooth; I could pass it to the passengers behind to hold it.
or this one?
I have mount, sure I have.
Where do you mount it?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Instructor

No, there are more things. Those just came to mind first. For example, another thing the built-in does that I'm guessing your solution doesn't is dead-reckoning when it's out of GPS range (in tunnels, parking structures, etc.). It uses the car's speedometer and a set of accelerometers to try to track the car's movements when it can't establish a signal from the GPS network. Another thing is that it is relatively hard to steal, compared to aftermarket nav systems. And, no, the list is still not complete.
Sounds better but still will not pay $2000 for this.
Axim fits to the small pocket before I am leaving my car. If they (people who still car stereos) will take your NAVI (with all wires from dash out, and they are doing this!!!) then hope your insurance could do total lost .... nobody will fix it.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Which post? This one?
I said COULD; have ability to do, can you? I have mount, suction type.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Sounds better but still will not pay $2000 for this.
Fair enough. As they say, "To each, his own." Everyone gets to buy what they feel is worth buying. Some feel it's worth getting the factory system; some don't. Neither is right or wrong.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I said COULD; have ability to do, can you? I have mount, suction type.
OK....

Where do you mount the suction cup thing? To the windshield?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 PM
loves his TL!

Talking

crm_codder, i didnt say this in my previous post coz i thought it would "offend" you. but ill say it now. this entire thread is just your lame attempt at justifying why you did not opt for the NAV option in your TL. probably coz your lame ass could not afford another $2000. there, i said it. now i feel so much better!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Fair enough. As they say, "To each, his own." Everyone gets to buy what they feel is worth buying. Some feel it's worth getting the factory system; some don't. Neither is right or wrong.
Please read my post from the beginning. There is one smart old Chinese (I am not Chinese) story. It is simple please read:
You can't throw stones inside glass made house.
Think about.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

OK....

Where do you mount the suction cup thing? To the windshield?
yes, and what's wrong with this
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Please read my post from the beginning. There is one smart old Chinese (I am not Chinese) story. It is simple please read:
You can't throw stones inside glass made house.
Think about.
That's typically worded, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones," and it means, "Don't criticize other people when you yourself have faults and weaknesses." In your opening post, you said, "Original optional NAVI cost a lot and not everybody getting/happy with this, I am sure." When someone pointed out that statement was not accurate, you attacked with, "As I said I prefer PDA, somebody prefer Garmin, and other (I guess lame one) prefer build in." Those of us with Nav see that you just called us "lame" for choosing the built-in.

I'd say you're the first to throw a stone in the glass house.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Instructor

crm_codder, i didnt say this in my previous post coz i thought it would "offend" you. but ill say it now. this entire thread is just your lame attempt at justifying why you did not opt for the NAV option in your TL. probably coz your lame ass could not afford another $2000. there, i said it. now i feel so much better!
Derek what should I say, please look one more time on picture bellow yor name it is exactly what I am thinking about you. Visual represantation of word idiot.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

yes, and what's wrong with this
Nothing. I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I was just curious where you mount it because I couldn't think of any other locations that wouldn't interfere with controls or airbags. I'm sure the windshield is the best place to mount it.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
loves his TL!

you're a waste of my time crm_codder.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Instructor

That's typically worded, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones," and it means, "Don't criticize other people when you yourself have faults and weaknesses." In your opening post, you said, "Original optional NAVI cost a lot and not everybody getting/happy with this, I am sure." When someone pointed out that statement was not accurate, you attacked with, "As I said I prefer PDA, somebody prefer Garmin, and other (I guess lame one) prefer build in." Those of us with Nav see that you just called us "lame" for choosing the built-in.

I'd say you're the first to throw a stone in the glass house.

Read again, I said lame first time to the lady saying about contacts on NAVI, then something else in same stile, for example looks good on dash. For me this lame a lot, what should I say?
Glass house is for all, not for some ... this is idea.

Technically speaking I would just need some other people who doesn't have NAVI and using some PDA's or Garmin type devices to talk, instead almost get smashed by proud money spenders.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Nothing. I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I was just curious where you mount it because I couldn't think of any other locations that wouldn't interfere with controls or airbags. I'm sure the windshield is the best place to mount it.
As I said, I am not using PDA/GPS all the time (as some of you watching movie instead of road or maps without needs), so mount is out as well as PDA. And once again I don't need mount, Bluetooth ....
Old 03-15-2005, 07:44 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Read again, I said lame first time to the lady saying about contacts on NAVI, then something else in same stile, for example looks good on dash. For me this lame a lot, what should I say?
Glass house is for all, not for some ... this is idea.
I'm having too much trouble parsing this paragraph to understand what you're trying to say.

...almost get smashed by proud money spenders.
If you don't want to get stung, don't poke sticks into the hornets' nest.

As I said before, there are polite ways to get the responses you're looking for and then there's your way (confrontational, defensive, insulting). Had you been polite about it, you'd not have gotten "smashed" by us "proud money spenders."
Old 03-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Instructor

you're a waste of my time crm_codder.
Derek sorry, but please change this picture. It is confusing.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

As I said, I am not using PDA/GPS all the time (as some of you watching movie instead of road or maps without needs), so mount is out as well as PDA. And once again I don't need mount, Bluetooth ....
Apparently, we're not connecting here. The only reason I was asking about the mount was because I was interested in understanding how you view your PDA's screen while driving without having to hold it in your hand or let it slide around loose. I like to see people's custom installs of aftermarket toys, such as navi, subwoofers, etc. It's the main reason I read this forum. You started off describing an interesting navi solution and then bashed the factory system instead. I'm trying to converse with you about your setup, but you're being evasive and confrontational. I guess you're not as proud of your setup as I thought you were.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I'm having too much trouble parsing this paragraph to understand what you're trying to say.
And you could be proud or not but I have other place to spend my $2000 and have wonderful GPS/PDA at the same time.
Some people proud to drive Hundai, some Rolls Roys. But we both driving same car with one small overpriced option difference...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Apparently, we're not connecting here. The only reason I was asking about the mount was because I was interested in understanding how you view your PDA's screen while driving without having to hold it in your hand or let it slide around loose. I like to see people's custom installs of aftermarket toys, such as navi, subwoofers, etc. It's the main reason I read this forum. You started off describing an interesting navi solution and then bashed the factory system instead. I'm trying to converse with you about your setup, but you're being evasive and confrontational. I guess you're not as proud of your setup as I thought you were.
OK, simple. Take small peace of velcro and stick it bellow clock. Axim is very light device. I like suction mount since it is easy to remove and I could place in any inch a front of me.
Many other real solutions besides velcro, just go on Aximsite.com to see them.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

And you could be proud or not but I have other place to spend my $2000 and have wonderful GPS/PDA at the same time.
Some people proud to drive Hundai, some Rolls Roys. But we both driving same car with one small overpriced option difference...
Agreed, but one small nitpick: "Overpriced" is an opinion. The true definition of overpriced would probably be that no one is buying it because it is not worthy of their dollars. When a large enough portion of the TL buyers choose the navi option that it maximizes profit for Acura, then they've priced it perfectly. After all, Acura only is in business to make money. If they charged $20,000 for the nav option and so few people bought it that it doesn't cover the cost to make the option available, then we can call it "overpriced." Likewise, if they only charged $200 for it and virtually everyone bought it, but the additional $200/car didn't adequately cover the cost to the company, then it would be tragically underpriced. There is some point between $200 and $20,000 that is optimal for Acura and I suspect they've found that point.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:04 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

OK, simple. Take small peace of velcro and stick it bellow clock. Axim is very light device. I like suction mount since it is easy to remove and I could place in any inch a front of me.
Many other real solutions besides velcro, just go on Aximsite.com to see them.
I agree that I'd be against sticking Velcro in my car. The suction cup leaves no trace. I forgot that you have space on the dash where I have a navi screen, so I can see where some would opt to Velcro it there, too.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Wow...this thread got so much better since my last post. This is hilarious.

Highlights:
- a character from Halo is the visual representation of the word idiot
- the built in navi option only puts a dot on the screen, apparently there exists no other value/features for your 2k
- I am a proud money spender (I guess that's accurate, I'm happy with my TL)
- "You can't throw stones inside glass made house."
- a thread titled "No NAVI TL Options" really should have been called "Aftermarket GPS options" or "GPS using a PDA" if you didn't want all these Navi people reading it...your title sucks because in English it makes no sense

Quick Reply: No NAVI TL Options.