No NAVI TL Options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No NAVI TL Options.

I am using DELL Axim x50v + TOMTOM Navigator 2004 Bluetooth GPS.
Pretty happy, total cost $400.00 (Axim) + 250.00 (TOMTOM).
What about other people? Original optional NAVI cost a lot and not everybody getting/happy with this, I am sure.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

umm the original navi added more to the cost but i think if you read most the other posts about is the navi worth it i think all owners have found it very worth while. your axim + tom-tom software gives you some gps capabilities but the factory navi is a lot better solution. the axim's screen is so tiny i think it would be somewhwat dangerous to use trying to squint at the thing to see where you are. teh database for points of interestet on the dvd is far greater than what a pda can hold. voice activated/guidance features again add to to the safety of using navigation while driving. this is my second car with navigation, the first one i got an aftermarket navigation which cost me more than $2K, so when acura offered navi for extra 2K it was a no brainer. i have used in many times before nad it has proven to be very useful.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
umm the original navi added more to the cost but i think if you read most the other posts about is the navi worth it i think all owners have found it very worth while. your axim + tom-tom software gives you some gps capabilities but the factory navi is a lot better solution. the axim's screen is so tiny i think it would be somewhwat dangerous to use trying to squint at the thing to see where you are. teh database for points of interestet on the dvd is far greater than what a pda can hold. voice activated/guidance features again add to to the safety of using navigation while driving. this is my second car with navigation, the first one i got an aftermarket navigation which cost me more than $2K, so when acura offered navi for extra 2K it was a no brainer. i have used in many times before nad it has proven to be very useful.

This is interesting. What about VGA screen and best 3d maps, what about using portable GPS in other 2 cars I have, what about going on vacation and rent other car and use it. What about using Internet and my bluetooth phone to get connected . etc. Can you do it with build in?
Need more? What about 624MHZ processor in Axim and 2-4 GIG of memory in small Axim?
You could play DVD on your build one, what a good use .... And this is not dangerous you said?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
Can you also give me exact GPS map size on build in? I garantee that 3 times cheaper Garmin device could have same size and better maps and points.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crm_codder
What about other people? Original optional NAVI cost a lot and not everybody getting/happy with this, I am sure.
As you say not a lot of people are happy with the Navi, as many would say that they are not happy with a PDA GPS. I have both and prefer the NAVI primarily due to a larger screen. I find it difficult to read a small screen (even high res) when I am driving 55 or in a crowded city street. I am also not fond of the mounting hardware for the PDA. Yes is not as flexible, load lots of app's, watch DVD's....but it's not my preference. I would expect that in the near future you will find some car manufacturers offer some sort of PDA functionality or perhaps even a Windows Mobile operating system in the NAVI's

Also note you will never see an In-dash navi that plays dvd videos due to liability.

I concur with Caball88
Old 03-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by longdrive
As you say not a lot of people are happy with the Navi, as many would say that they are not happy with a PDA GPS.

I have both and prefer the NAVI primarily due to a larger screen. I find it difficult to read a small screen (even high res) when I am driving 55 or in a crowded city street. I am also not fond of the mounting hardware for the PDA. Yes is not as flexible, load lots of app's, watch DVD's....but it's not my preference. I would expect that in the near future you will find some car manufacturers offer some sort of PDA functionality or perhaps even a Windows Mobile operating system in the NAVI's

Also note you will never see an In-dash navi that plays dvd videos due to liability.

I concur with Caball88.

As I said I prefer PDA, somebody prefer Garmin, and other (I guess lame one) prefer build in. I respect anybodies choice and was looking for somebody using PDA oro other device.
My points of using PDA is much brighter and more colors screen, ability to upgrade and install as much software as memory holds, ability to use Bluetooth connecting to the phone and web while I am on road, ability to use my Contact list for GPS navigation, ability to use my PDA/GPS in any car/bike/boat I have or will have. And pay much less!!!
Screen size not argument, as I said actual screen size on build in not much bigger then PDA or Garmin type device. Watching it all the time? Sorry? I prefer watching my road not GPS. Mount? I don’t need mount it is Bluetooth; I could pass it to the passengers behind to hold it.

You should read this forum before saying nobody watching DVD on build one....
Old 03-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

As I said I prefer PDA, somebody prefer Garmin, and other (I guess lame one) prefer build in. I respect anybodies choice and was looking for somebody using PDA oro other device.
My points of using PDA is much brighter and more colors screen, ability to upgrade and install as much software as memory holds, ability to use Bluetooth connecting to the phone and web while I am on road, ability to use my Contact list for GPS navigation, ability to use my PDA/GPS in any car/bike/boat I have or will have. And pay much less!!!
Screen size not argument, as I said actual screen size on build in not much bigger then PDA or Garmin type device. Watching it all the time? Sorry? I prefer watching my road not GPS. Mount? I don’t need mount it is Bluetooth; I could pass it to the passengers behind to hold it.

You should read this forum before saying nobody watching DVD on build one....

The build in NAVI has at least 100% of the viewing area....have you done the measurements? I would agree that the garmin has somewhat comparable viewing size....but a PDA...no way....also....don't the Garmins cost over $1200??? Also...I did not mean that you do not watch the road...but it is easier to glance at a 7in diag screen vs a PDA....it think that there is no way you can win that one....You are correct about BT....so no need to mount...

Yes...evrybody has a choice...you state that you were wondering about other people...here it is....you have my opinion as you will get many others...take them for what you want....

your qoute "lame one".....???

why not re-word your thread "Attention PDA GPS Users / Wana-be's" or some of the like
Old 03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Instructor

The build in NAVI has at least 100% of the viewing area....have you done the measurements? I would agree that the garmin has somewhat comparable viewing size....but a PDA...no way....also....don't the Garmins cost over $1200??? Also...I did not mean that you do not watch the road...but it is easier to glance at a 7in diag screen vs a PDA....it think that there is no way you can win that one....You are correct about BT....so no need to mount...

Yes...evrybody has a choice...you state that you were wondering about other people...here it is....you have my opinion as you will get many others...take them for what you want....

your qoute "lame one".....???

why not re-word your thread "Attention PDA GPS Users / Wana-be's" or some of the like
Garmin cost between $600 and $900, I am watching it same way you do, perfectly founding my destinations, many times on much brighter and colorful device then you. As well as faster and with 1000 times more abilities.
Glance on my a..s if you cant see what is exact title of this discussion. I am not looking for one paying extra $2000 for this option, or somebody installing DVD player to use it. I know many people owning TL 04/05 and don’t have this option; this is with whom I wish to talk.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Garmin cost between $600 and $900, I am watching it same way you do, perfectly founding my destinations, many times on much brighter and colorful device then you. As well as faster and with 1000 times more abilities.
Glance on my a..s if you cant see what is exact title of this discussion. I am not looking for one paying extra $2000 for this option, or somebody installing DVD player to use it. I know many people owning TL 04/05 and don’t have this option; this is with whom I wish to talk.

1000 times more....did you count them all???? I saw the title and know what you meant...and also read your first response to the other member....somewhat bashing the TL navi with some notable points and some less of the sort...your sarcasm drew more attention than your facts....

we discussed opinons...fine I agree and value mine as wells as yours....If you are going to criticize the TL Navi (as you have above) be prepared to be criticized as well b/c there are as many people using the factory who are very pleased with its finctionality. Its probably the most complete factory installed NAVI system out there.........again.....another opinion.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Instructor

1000 times more....did you count them all???? I saw the title and know what you meant...and also read your first response to the other member....somewhat bashing the TL navi with some notable points and some less of the sort...your sarcasm drew more attention than your facts....

we discussed opinons...fine I agree and value mine as wells as yours....If you are going to criticize the TL Navi (as you have above) be prepared to be criticized as well b/c there are as many people using the factory who are very pleased with its finctionality. Its probably the most complete factory installed NAVI system out there.........again.....another opinion.
As i said I don't care, some people installing space shuttle type of equipment and some just driving without an GPS. My point is different, I am getting same GPS functionality, on much!!! less cost device. Device which is amazing and powerful as real PC. It is pc, with OS, memory and ports and sound etc. And you are saing that because build in is 7 inch big then it is better ... What else? Let’s count.
It is same like comparing PC and calculator.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

The Navi is worth it. I also have a PDA with GPS. But the Navi gives you the special AC feature, the nice screen, the voice control, always on(do don't have to wait for the GPS to acquire, the calendar, calculator, address book.

It is a tadbit expensive but worth it.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red05TL
The Navi is worth it. I also have a PDA with GPS. But the Navi gives you the special AC feature, the nice screen, the voice control, always on(do don't have to wait for the GPS to acquire, the calendar, calculator, address book.

Wow, again Axim x50v has true VGA screen, voice, always on as long as battery is charged, calculator? What a lame .... sorry.
What about WIFI and Bluetooth for example? What about scientific calculator and any other you could imagine in your head?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Instructor

BTW whatever is shaking on GIF looks good!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, again Axim x50v has true VGA screen, voice, always on as long as battery is charged, calculator? What a lame .... sorry.
What about WIFI and Bluetooth for example? What about scientific calculator and any other you could imagine in your head?
Battery charged??? Sorry...I do not have that problem...Scientific calculator...Who the hell figures out cos and co-tan in their car??? BT....there is value there....WIFI....worthless while you are driving......you would be out of range of any access point w/i seconds. Why these may all be good reasons why someone should own a PDA but I am sure most people who want a NAVi will end up paying for the factory due to the inegration with the car..
Old 03-14-2005, 07:43 PM
VTEC HoooA

From the post I have gathered that you are quite satisified with your Dell Axim........CONGRATULATIONS!!

I for one would NEVER trade the functionality of the Acura navi for a PDA (regardless of the additional capabilities a PDA provides). This is the point you seem to be missing in all of the responses you have received. Each time someone points out a differing viewpoint, you chastise them and call them lame. While you are touting the extra capabilities of your superior PDA, you might want to check out a basic English diction program. Your verbal skills appear to be the only 'lame' component within this post!!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
From the post I have gathered that you are quite satisified with your Dell Axim........CONGRATULATIONS!!

I for one would NEVER trade the functionality of the Acura navi for a PDA (regardless of the additional capabilities a PDA provides). This is the point you seem to be missing in all of the responses you have received. Each time someone points out a differing viewpoint, you chastise them and call them lame. While you are touting the extra capabilities of your superior PDA, you might want to check out a basic English diction program. Your verbal skills appear to be the only 'lame' component within this post!!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Nice to see you're have a good day.

He can't use all those neat features of a PDA and navigation at the same time.

I got the HP 5555, with PocketMAP GPS and Pharos GPS installed. Both programs are memory hogs. Switching between the anyone of those GPS programs and anything else sucks!

Step back and drink a beer and calm down, I was never saying which was better, I said for the price the Navi is worth it. I a PDA man, I got both my PDAs with me at all times, th HP and the Dell AX30, they bought sit in the passegner seat while I drive. My life would he chaotic without them.

But would I chose to use my GPS on my PDA over the Navi on the TL? I believe the Navi option is worth it.

Geez!! Why do people use these forums to reduce stress, find a strip club near by!

There is never any need to flame!

But really, have a good day.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004

Could be iPAQ, Axim just small example. Lame give me argument with calculator inside or contacts you could not connect or synch with anything. What about entering 200-300 new one? What about altering software or get another one instead of one Acura selling you?
Lame is to keep speaking about screen size all the time and keep forgetting about number of colors, memory size, speed etc.
You could like or don't anything, sorry for English it is my 2-nd language as you could guess.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
VTEC HoooA

Could be iPAQ, Axim just small example. Lame give me argument with calculator inside or contacts you could not connect or synch with anything. What about entering 200-300 new one? What about altering software or get another one instead of one Acura selling you?
Lame is to keep speaking about screen size all the time and keep forgetting about number of colors, memory size, speed etc.
You could like or don't anything, sorry for English it is my 2-nd language as you could guess.
HAHA!! My point exactly!!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

But really, have a good day.

Good night, shake it!!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Good night, shake it!!!!
That's more like it!!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Instructor

That's more like it!!
What about photo then?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Racer

Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your PDA track the sun's position relative to the car so it can tell the ventilation system which vents to use to counter the sun's heat? Does your PDA duck the volume of the music in the front speakers when it gives voice guidance? Does your PDA respond to voice commands after you flick a button on the steering wheel? Try this with your PDA:

You: "Find nearest Italian restaurant."
Nav: "Finding nearest Italian..." (List shows up of nearby Italian restaurants)
You (seeing that the fourth one listed looks interesting): "Four"
Nav: "Would you like to calculate a route to <restaurant name>?"
You: "Call"
Nav: "Calling" (via your Bluetooth phone)
Restaurant: "Hello?"

How do you have your killer PDA rig mounted in the car? Do you have to take it out everytime you park, or does no one steal things in your world?

The beauty of the built-in system is that it is precisely that: Built in. I admire your ability to cobble together a satisfying PDA solution. I don't admire your starting a thread in which you bash people who chose to buy the factory system. If your posts were just to point out your workable system, then great, but you shouldn't bash on people just because they don't agree you have the best possible navigation system.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

What about photo then?

LOL!!

I don't think the mods allow photos like that here, but for now, just watch my avatar bounce.

It entertains me so much!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Does your PDA track the sun's position relative to the car so it can tell the ventilation system which vents to use to counter the sun's heat? Does your PDA duck the volume of the music in the front speakers when it gives voice guidance? Does your PDA respond to voice commands after you flick a button on the steering wheel? Try this with your PDA:

How do you have your killer PDA rig mounted in the car? Do you have to take it out everytime you park, or does no one steal things in your world?

The beauty of the built-in system is that it is precisely that: Built in. I admire your ability to cobble together a satisfying PDA solution. I don't admire your starting a thread in which you bash people who chose to buy the factory system. If your posts were just to point out your workable system, then great, but you shouldn't bash on people just because they don't agree you have the best possible navigation system.

Exactly Hello!!!

PDA can do anything, same like your home pc. Write program and it will do it.
Voice - activation known technology and first created for PC and not by Acura.
Need example, Microsoft Voice Commander.
Mount is worthless, PDA using Bluetooth connection and I could pass it to my wife to hold it and read instructions. As well as listen. Can you pass build in to somewhere?
Can you pass your Acura GPS to another car or track or bike or boat?
Portability, expandability and independence. As well as speed, colors and memory (price!!!!).
Stop by Starbacks, drink coffee and get your emails. Connect to your Bluetooth enabled phone and get connected. Can you get connected? Can you transfer huge Contact list in seconds without tapping screen inside your Acura?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Instructor

LOL!!

I don't think the mods allow photos like that here, but for now, just watch my avatar bounce.

Are they same?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mount is worthless, PDA using Bluetooth connection and I could pass it to my wife to hold it and read instructions. As well as listen. Can you pass build in to somewhere?
If I wanted to hear my wife tell me directions (If I had one), I would jsut give her a map and a highlighter. Sounds like you need someone else to help you use it, instead of the car just telling you what to do through the speakers.

As it has been said before with all the features that built in Navi gives your for 2k its worth it. Besides IMO the interior looks a lot better with the Navi screen in the middle instead of two ugly LED screens. Yeah your PDA idea works great for you, but how can you not admit that the built in system has its advantages in working well with the car.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Downshift Then I'm Gone!

By the way CRM is acting I would seriously doubt he even has a TL. This guy is supposedly born in 65 and he comes on a car site to argue and name call because he made a decision that he came to regret later on after he "bought" his TL. See CRM I have a Tungsten T5 but I use that to keep track of contacts and appointments because that's it's main purpose. Eventhough my T5 could be used as a GPS device doesn't mean that it's better than an In-Dash Navi in all situations. If I was camping yes the PDA will be much more practical and will win hands down but when I'm on the freeway punching 80 it's all In-Dash Navi man.

Me: Find CRM a Hobby!
Nav: PDALovers.com
MeL Thank You!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluenoise

Here's an experience that I had this past weekend. First of all, though, I have a TL with Navi.

We went from Ohio to Virginia to one of my son's soccer tournaments and since there were seven of us, we rented a van. One of the other parents going with us brought his NEW Garmin 2610, which he bought last month.

Now, my mom lives in Virgina and when I went to see her last month, I went in the TL and just for fun used the navi. (I already knew the way). It guided me straight to her door.

Using the Garmin and going the exact same way because we had to drive past my mom's to get to Richmond, I was surprised at the difference. WHY? the software is different and the Garmin several times told us to get off the freeway, travel a bit, then get back on the freeway. And don't forget, he's had this for about a month.

My point is that Acura's guidance software seems to be much better, imo. Going back from Virginia to Ohio was much worse. We finally turned it off.

The Garmin's good points? I wish the TL had an in-progree- trip report as comprehensive as this. I love how it shows you the correct speed, and it calculates arrival time much better. I also like how you have the ability to enter a destination using latitude and longitude.

And by the way, the screen was MUCH smaller and I did NOT notice any better color. They did seem to use the same person to guide us, tho. :-)

I bought the TL mainly for my wife, cause she can't find her way to our bathroom. However, we liked the navi so much, I stole the TL from her and bought her a TSX/navi.

YMMV
Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R11S
Here's an experience that I had this past weekend. First of all, though, I have a TL with Navi.
<snip>
whoops
I meant "the TL had an in-progress- trip"
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
If I wanted to hear my wife tell me directions (If I had one), I would jsut give her a map and a highlighter. Sounds like you need someone else to help you use it, instead of the car just telling you what to do through the speakers.

As it has been said before with all the features that built in Navi gives your for 2k its worth it. Besides IMO the interior looks a lot better with the Navi screen in the middle instead of two ugly LED screens. Yeah your PDA idea works great for you, but how can you not admit that the built in system has its advantages in working well with the car.

Sounds like you are getting books because they are looking good inside your bookshelf?
No I am just saying - IS THIS FORUM FOR NAVI OWNERS ONLY? IF NO, THEN WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE?
I AM TIRED TO TALK WITH PROUD ACURA NAVI OWNERS!!! IT IS LOOKING GOOD INSIDE THEIR CARS THIS IS WHY THEY GET IT!!! ALSO YOU COULD ALTER TL AND INSTALL DVD PLAYER PLAYING DVD INSTED!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kamikaze MEI
By the way CRM is acting I would seriously doubt he even has a TL. This guy is supposedly born in 65 and he comes on a car site to argue and name call because he made a decision that he came to regret later on after he "bought" his TL. See CRM I have a Tungsten T5 but I use that to keep track of contacts and appointments because that's it's main purpose. Eventhough my T5 could be used as a GPS device doesn't mean that it's better than an In-Dash Navi in all situations. If I was camping yes the PDA will be much more practical and will win hands down but when I'm on the freeway punching 80 it's all In-Dash Navi man.

MeL Thank You!
BTW Kamikaze, I gues it is your time now ... which plane are you using?
I don't say that it is better, read from the beginning. I said that no any arguments only emotions of multiple proud navi owners. Yes you spent money and now should be proud; I didn't and never will spend for build-in navi on any car. Why because it is overprized toy, which I could replace with my regular PDA.
TL is wonderful in any aspects car, engine, body, style, sound!!! but NAVI is NAVI, good to have but nothing more.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kamikaze MEI

MeL Thank You!
BTW. Asked my son about navi in TL (he is almoust your age boy) he said I don't care I need power, no needs for toys.
And this is why he is not going to drive my TL ....
Old 03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by R11S
I bought the TL mainly for my wife, cause she can't find her way to our bathroom.
I hope she doesn't pee on the rug all the time like my dog does. Its a pain to clean up. :dog:
Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

but NAVI is NAVI, good to have but nothing more.
Apparently you don't realize that when you spend the extra 2k you get more then just a screen that shows a little triangle on a map. Oh but that's right...your PDA can be programmed to do anything...including upgrade the tires on the TL.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
I hope she doesn't pee on the rug all the time like my dog does. Its a pain to clean up. :dog:
You have about 10 years before you will speak about, I guess this is the age you are getting wife’s here?
For now using build in NAVI you could get to the Walgreens and get pampers for your dog and yourself.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Instructor

You have about 10 years before you will speak about, I guess this is the age you are getting wife’s here?
For now using build in NAVI you could get to the Walgreens and get pampers for your dog and yourself.

Just say "I need Pampers" and NAVI will direct you to Walgreens.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Instructor

LOL!!

I could give you my email ...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Personally, I've owned many PDA's, and currently use a Garmin GPS on my motorcycle.

1. The lower cost Garmins don't give turn-by-turn directions.
2. They're just not even close to the ease of use and hands-free capabilities of the Acura system.
3. What are you so angry about? You have a nice car. Some people probably like you.

Red05TL, those boobs in your avatar are WAY too distracting. It took me 30 minutes to write this cuz I was staring at them.........bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.

Quick Reply: No NAVI TL Options.