No Caller ID on the HFL??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Caller ID on the HFL??

OK, I am a newbie. But... If I program a number into my HFL via the voice, then how come when that number calls me, my HFL does not tell me who it is?? It just says I have an incoming call. I want it to tell me who is calling me if I have stored that number into the HFL. Has anyone done this??
Old 11-20-2004, 12:46 AM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't matter if the number is programmed into your TL, if they block their number, you won't see it. It will show the number of anyone that calls, so long as they don't block their number... works the same as caller ID at home.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Cruisin'

Actually, I have a blackberry 7100t, and dont get ANY telephone numbers displayed on the MID with incoming calls, blocked/private or not. It just says "Incoming Call". Is there a fix for this?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

U misunderstood

Hey Moe (picture Curley saying that)-
I think you misunderstood. The issue I was trying to explain was if I store your number in my HFL, then you call me, I do see your number in the MID. However, my TL just tells me I have an incoming call. It does not tell me it is from Moeronn, even though I stored you into my HFL. When you store a number in your cellphone, and call it msilvia, and I call you, doesn't your phone display msilvia and my number? I hope that is clearer.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Advanced

The HFL system just does not have that function. You would have to type in the name for it to display, we can only record our voice for recognition.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
10th Gear

Agreed

I agree Stocks, but. If when you type in a phone number into your phone memory, and then it displays the next time it calls, then why can't the TL playback the voice recording of the person's number calling you if you have it stored? Sounds pretty easy to me. Anyway, they just missed it, blew it in my opinion. Still love my TL!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
This apparently depends on the phone that you have paired to the car. My Brother tells me that the incoming phone number does display on his HFL screen. He has a Siemens phone.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 PM
8th Gear

My 7100T displays the incoming number when available. In fact there is a thread about the 7100T appending _129 to the incoming phone number. My does this as well. I haven't seen any fixes for this yet. By the way you don't have to program the phone number into the HFL for it display.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
10th Gear

Hold on

My HFL DOES display the phone number. My point has been if I stored the phone number (by voice) into the HFL, then my TL should tell me (in my voice), the name I associated with that number that is calling. That seems easy.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro

I don't think it does this, and I think it may work out for me.

I'm hoping the database is one way so that it looks up the number from the voice tag. Then I can store teh same number with more than one voice tag.

Why would I do this??? Because my wife and I both drive teh car and we both have BT phones. When either one of us says "Call Home" we want it to do it, so I need to put in two voice tags that both call my house.

If the lookup works bidirectionally, I won't be able to do this. I'll give it a shot and post back if anyone is interested.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
7th Gear

My phone, a Sony Ericsson T637, works great with the TL, and there are a lot of phone numbers stored in the phone. The numbers in the phone got ther by keying them in and whenever one of them calls me I see the caller's name displayed on the phone's screen. I'm an engineer and techaniaclly there's no reason why the caller couldn't also be displayed in the MID, but it appers this capabilty simply is not there - maybe in 2006.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:05 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by msilvia
My HFL DOES display the phone number. My point has been if I stored the phone number (by voice) into the HFL, then my TL should tell me (in my voice), the name I associated with that number that is calling. That seems easy.
that would've been a cool feature. instead of "You have an incoming call" you get "whatever voice command you give to call the number" instead. now i'm wondering why they didn't do that
Old 12-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Advanced

I would hate that....I hate listening to my own voice.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by H2sails
My phone, a Sony Ericsson T637, works great with the TL, and there are a lot of phone numbers stored in the phone. The numbers in the phone got ther by keying them in and whenever one of them calls me I see the caller's name displayed on the phone's screen. I'm an engineer and techaniaclly there's no reason why the caller couldn't also be displayed in the MID, but it appers this capabilty simply is not there - maybe in 2006.
I'm an engineer too, or more accurately a software engineer.

Technically, you could do damn near anything. The trouble is that if you do too much, the specs get bloated, compatability issues arise, and legacy issues get complicated.

Oh, and you have to get somebody to pay for the development too.

I know you understand what goes on, but alot of people don't. I've even heard of other people within our company who think the software engineers have teh easiest job ever because they just go download it off the internet.

So, I'd be really careful about posting that this technically can be done on a forum like this. We're likely to get a lot of people posting about how crappy Acura is or the HFL is because they didn't do it but they could have. In reality it is probably part of the Handsfree Profile Spec with BlueTooth, but I didn't look it up.

Sorry about the mini-flame. Its been a long week and I think its time to go to bed. :P
Old 12-03-2004, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

Don't believe the hype!

I love my TL, and basically bought it largely on the interior, bluetooth included. But this is a feature I would like to see in the car, and I believe it would be easy. I too am in the software applications business. Don't think this is a stretch to have. But anyway, can't think of everything, huh? Do you think if they come up with enhancements in the future, there would be a way to update the system??? I am sure you'd have to do it at a dealer, but it does seems possible, no?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro

Possible yes, even a good idea yes. Would I like to see it yes.

Perhaps I was too short. I just meant that telling people who aren't familiar with software development processes that it can be done is like begging them to complain that it hasn't been done.

There is a lot that the hands free profile supports that the TL does not. Those items I would expect/hope for in a future version. However, if looking up the name stored in memory in the phone is not one of those options, I wouldn't expect Acura to add it until BlueTooth does.

So, please accept my apologies for over generalizing.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:50 PM
10th Gear

NO problem Hype, and no apology needed. What are your thoughts on if it does become available, in say 06, we could upgrade our 05 system?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro

Well, IF it is supported in the BlueTooth spec and IF Acura decides to write software to support that function and IF they use the same BT module that is in our car ...

THEN you have to convince a dealer to flash your module. Really, though I wouldn't expect it to happen. I doubt that Acura will make any revisions to the BT module software unless major incompatabilities arise.

So, the next opportunity for it to show up would be on the next gen car in a few years. At that point in time, the hardware will probably have changed which would mean the new stuff wouldn't be compatible with ours.

Its possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Drifting

If its just a software upgrade, they would be able to do it for you at any time.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:59 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by msilvia
OK, I am a newbie. But... If I program a number into my HFL via the voice, then how come when that number calls me, my HFL does not tell me who it is?? It just says I have an incoming call. I want it to tell me who is calling me if I have stored that number into the HFL. Has anyone done this??
HFL will not play the name recording you've made for the person in your 'phonebook'. That's a missing HFL function in TL's. I think other cars (like some of the Lexus) with Bluetooth functionality actually display the name of incoming callers that you have in the car's phonebook.

However, mine phone HFL combination displays the number of the person calling (that comes from the phone) but not their name (or the recording of their name). At least, that's enough for me to recognize who it is.