New AT&T Moto Q (new ver. questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 12:23 PM
Pro

Question New AT&T Moto Q (new ver. questions)

I'm in the market for a new cell phone that is Bluetooth compatible with my '07 TL (non-navi). According to the HFL website, the Motorola Q works with Verizon. I've searched and come across numerous threads on this and the minor problems (with the phone call ended up at the phone and having to send it back to the HFL).

AT&T just received a new version of the Moto Q, with WM6 on it. The previous Q had WM5. The in-store rep told me this new version has been out for about a week now. It's currently on the 'testing' list for the Acura HFL.

Has anyone bought this new version with AT&T yet? How does it work with the TL? Please include your year / model of TL. What about the Q9m through Verizon, any experiences?

Also, I'm just looking for something to go online to check my email with, visit websites, etc. Instead of paying the $80 / month for a PDA type phone, I was considering doing the iPhone with AT&T for $60 / month, because this will get me on the internet to do what I want to do, from what I understand. Perhaps those knowledgable with cell phones can comment on this too. It's about $100 - $200 cheaper in the long run, by purchasing the $400 iPhone, when you take into account the money I'd save monthly on the service.*

*AT&T does not offer the insurance on the iPhone and there's a 10 % restocking fee if I return it. Also, they won't insure the new Moto Q either! This really discouraged me, when thinking of spending this much money on a cell phone.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-20-2007 | 03:56 PM
Pro

Anyone.......?

Anyone tried out this phone yet?
Old 11-21-2007 | 08:26 PM
Pro

Alright, well I'm going to take the plunge and buy it anyways, haha. I actually went into AT&T tonight and they did the credit check, employer discount look up, etc. Then, I reminded them that I did NOT want a new number, I wanted to transfer mine. Well, they just realized I needed my Nextel bill with me (they girl was new that they handed me over to, so it's not really there fault).

Anyway, I'm heading back Friday now (on that dreadful shopping day) to finish up. I'll let you guys know how it works with the TL.

On a side note; I took my friends Verizon Moto Q and paired it with the TL tonight. This has been known to have problems displaying battery life, signal stregnth, etc. I had no problems at all with that part. So, I'm optimistic about the AT&T Moto Q
Old 11-22-2007 | 07:01 AM
9th Gear

I have Verizon Q9M (the WM6 version) and am using it with my '06 TL. For the most part it works fine, especially compared to my last phone (VX6700). However there is one little quirk that I haven't been able to resolve. About 1/3 - 1/2 the time I dial the phone using the HFL, the phone will dial, the HFL will show connected, but all communication (talking, listening) will be coming from the phone! All I hear is a faint "Hello" from the phone instead of the car. I have to go to the phone and select "Handsfree On" from the menu to transfer the audio to the car.

Other than that, I like the phone.
Old 11-23-2007 | 08:28 AM
Pro

TriBruin - thanks for the input. I was wondering about this phone too, as I was considering Verizon, but the phone is still listed as "currently testing" on the Acura HFL website. I'm going shortly to the AT&T store to pick up the new Moto Q, w/WM 6. If it doesn't work or I'm not happy with it, I think I'll give the Verizon Q9m a shot.

One question - when you say you have to go into the menu to transfer it to the car, is there anyway on the phone you can create a 'shortcut' so that one of the main buttons is assigned to "transfer", rather than having to go into the menu each time? How about battery life, signal strength, etc. Are those all displayed?
Old 11-23-2007 | 02:50 PM
Pro

well, just to update everyone I'm posting this from my phone right now. I picked up the new Moto Q with WM6 through AT&T. So far so good with the HFL. I was able to make and receive calls no problem and had battery and signal strength indicators!
Old 11-23-2007 | 11:01 PM
Pro

One last, more thorough update. I'd highly recommend this phone to anyone considering switching to AT&T. I don't need a very powerful phone, just something to get online, check emails, download / edit attachments, etc. This phone has been great so far. It's very fast when in a 3G network area, which Blackberry's are not compatible with.

In regards to the Acura HFL. I haven't found one feature that doesn't work yet! The HFL will even "Receive Contact" via BT signal with this phone. I don't have Navi, so I can't comment on importing the entire phone book, but one by one, via BT works