new sub install help 04 navi

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
The stickiest of the icky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new sub install help 04 navi

hey guys i am really starting to get bored with the car's stock audio system and i have some money to spend/ christmas presents to redeem, so i think i am going to put a new sub or 2 into the tl. since the stock speakers are excellent quality, the only thing i want to toy with is the sub, and of course to go with that a new amp. i have a few questoins for those who have done it already or know about these topics:

1. is it extremely difficult to install into the stock head unit? i am not going to take it out because i have navi and obviously there is no sense in refmoving the stock head unit. (note: i can not do my own installation. i am really not handy at all and dont feel like tearing up the insides of my own car with no knowledge as to what i am doing. this is not an option) Should i try to specifically find a shop where they have done a TL before or is it really not that complicated?

2. will i be able to keep all of my functions, such as navi, voice, handsfree, and steering wheel controls?

3. i need space in my trunk to carry basic things, maybe a golf bag sometimes, so for those of you who have done it, what size should i go for? i am thinking at most 2 12s, at minimum 1 10 or 2 8s.

4. i have contemplated buying parts on the intenret, like the sub(s) and amp, but my friends have bought and had their stuff installed at circuit city and best buy, and they say that there is a lifetime warantee. i really like the idea of a lifetime warantee, but i dont think that circuit city will be able to do such a complicated install nor do i trust them to take apart my car. do most audio specialty shops have lifetime warantees like that or only a manufacturer based warantee?

thanks a lot in advance as you can see i am a bit lost right now
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 PM

bump...anybody?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Racer

hey man...

Well you could do a single 12" easily and the box will go back to where the line is to access the spare tire on the floor.

I did this in my TSX and it looked real nice and did't take up too much room at all.

IF you get a really nice sub and put enough power to it it will play WAY LOUDER THAN your stock speakers in the car and overpower them.

I would recommend something along the line of a JLw0 or something. does alot more than stock and if you put a small amp to it and put like 150W or something it will still sound real nice and not overpower the speakers. It's ALL ABOUT THE BOX with JL subs though so make sure you go to a place that knows how to build them. Don't get one of those prefab POS's.

that should be fine. Should total no more than $600. Sub can probably buy it for $100-$150, box $250 and a couple hundred for the install MAX.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

BTW you can use the Low pass from the stock sub to get signal.

Or you could just replace the stock sub with somethign else, but that won't add MUCH, just sound BETTER.

Ryan
Old 11-30-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by vidoprof
hey man...

Well you could do a single 12" easily and the box will go back to where the line is to access the spare tire on the floor.

I did this in my TSX and it looked real nice and did't take up too much room at all.

IF you get a really nice sub and put enough power to it it will play WAY LOUDER THAN your stock speakers in the car and overpower them.

I would recommend something along the line of a JLw0 or something. does alot more than stock and if you put a small amp to it and put like 150W or something it will still sound real nice and not overpower the speakers. It's ALL ABOUT THE BOX with JL subs though so make sure you go to a place that knows how to build them. Don't get one of those prefab POS's.

that should be fine. Should total no more than $600. Sub can probably buy it for $100-$150, box $250 and a couple hundred for the install MAX.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

BTW you can use the Low pass from the stock sub to get signal.

Or you could just replace the stock sub with somethign else, but that won't add MUCH, just sound BETTER.

Ryan
thanks for the response, one querstion though- when you say it will go to the line to acess the spare, do you mean if i am looking in teh trunk from the back, if i push the box all the way towards the front of the car, i will still be able to acess my spare? thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Racer

Yup that is exactly what I mean. from the back of the car looking into the trunk youan access the spare and it folds in two places. Well the one FURTHER towards the front of the car should still be able to be used. The box should not come any further back that line. 1 -12" sub or even 2-10's should fit in that space NO problem. I am getting 2 -12's to come REALLY close to that line.

Ryan