New SQ Install!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New SQ Install!

My friend Bing just got done with his third Acura TL SQ install...I think the 3rd gen TL is probably one of his favorite cars to work on now...
goals:

1. very good SQ with stock HU

2. stealthy and clean trunk install

the signal starts from the stock headunit, front and sub signals were tapped before the stock amp and sent to a Rockford 3sixty.2. since hte stock headunit's signal is pretty

flat, the 360 is set up just as a processor, no OEM integration/flattening.

the front stage consists a pair of Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" comps. the midbass are installed in the stock lower door location, and the entire door dampened. the stock

mounting holes had to be widened to accomodate the Seas.

the seas ref. tweeter are isntalled in the stock tweeter location on top of the dash, as it proves to work well in the TL, the stock tweeter grilles were filled in, sanded, and

painted with texture coat, andt hent he seas tweeter sunk into it. this is hte best shot i can get at them due to the window stickers hehe

the stock rear sepakres and stock sub was removed from the rear deck and the deck dampened as well:

moving on to the trunk. the customer supplied me with two relatively large amps and an idmax12. my delimma was this: the TL's floor is not flat, its acutally in three stages,

at the far front, its at a downward angle, in the middle, it gets slightly shallower, and in the back, it gets shallower still, hence the stock floor cover is in three foldable

sections. what this means it hat if i build a new floor, it would either have to be in three sections to conform with the stock floor, or, raise it up qiute a bit and makeit level. in

the end, wtih some careful measurements, i managed to avoid both.

so here is the trunk covered up, a side fiberglass box with a grille sits ont he driver side, and the stock floor is completely maintained, with the stock floor cover in place.

lift the stock floor cover, and pop off the grille and here is hwat you see. a Brax four channels is powering hte front stage fully active, and a zapco reference 1000 watt mono

amp feeds the idmax12. there is a new fake floor underneath the stock floor, with cutouts for hte two amps. what i did was to carefully build up the amp support so its

precisely at the right height ,did my first floor with cutouts out of 1/2" MDF for support, and then, bonded a very thin piece of 1/8" hardboard to the top and routed it to

match the openings, and shaped it and trimmed it so it slides underneath the stock carpet on either side, since its only so thin, it doesnt change the floor at all, and gives a

completely flat amp rack floor when you lift the stock cover the top is trimmed in silver CF vinyl.

a detailed prolly no one will notice but i know its there is the matching silver CF trim around the sub

and the amp board close up:

flick a swtich and the edge lit routed plexi boarder lights up blue:

and some night shots:

overall, it soundsquite good, the brax produces a lot of power and has a very smooth top end, thoughi dont think the RF 360.2 is quite as good of a proecssor as the zapco DC

reference stuff i used in the previous TLs. but very high stage, dead center, and very solid midbass impact and subbass extension. Thanks Leon for tuning the car!

a wiring shot below the floor:

and the subbox, whcih i got a rear mold from my freinds over at wickedcas.com, and bolded my front baffle to accomodate the idmax12. here it is finished from the front:

now some people have asked me why my boxes, you never see me lay glass ontop of the moldcloth, well, its because i do it from the back, i cut open the back mold, and

dampen from the inside, and then seal the back again wtih fiberglass fro the sub opening. it saves a ton of sanding time

and finished and ready to install:

Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Honda Noob

i really like the fiberglass enclosure, just wish i had the cash for it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NICE CLEAN INSTALL!!.....is the factory carpet cut out to see the amps??
Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced

not sureat oyu mean, the factory carpet board flips up in separate sections, i made a very thin piece of board, bonded to the main amp rack, and slide it betwene the metal and the floor carpet, so the stock floor board is retained and you see the routed openings with edge lit plexi below
Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
2005 WDP TL

where is his location? I would love to have him install a similar setup in my car if he is not too far away.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Might be a little bit of a drive, he is in San Jose CA...he did my set-up as well...does great work
Old 05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced

hey mike, you gonna make it to marvs? i am in thne middle of redoing my own car hehe cant have all my customers cars sound better than my own