Need some Speaker Help - Please !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some Speaker Help - Please !!!

I think I've got my sub (a basslink). since I'll have to remove the rear deck / seats I figure I might as well dynamat it and replace the rear speakers, and what good is it to replace the rears and not the fronts, and if we've gone that far why leave the tweeters and the center channels oem.

So here are the questions:

If all the speaker are 2 ohm, the infinitys (2 ohm) should be a direct replacement?
I'm leaning toward 6022 will the "i" fit in the doors or do we need the "si"? ,1011 or 1021 tweeters (1021 are alittle more efficient but infinity are usually bright sounding anyway) and a 3022 center.

Some (RJ and others) have used POLKS. Those are 4 ohm. What does that do to the factory amp? If you're using the polks in the door what are you dooing for tweets in the dash? If 4 ohms in door and 2 ohm tweeters, what does that do to the factory amp?

If anyone has replaced thier speakers with others and is still using the factory amp let's hear from them also. I don't want to do amps, just more presence and "maybe" a little more volume.

Thanks in advance:

Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I installed the Infinity Kappa 3 way 6.5" in the doors and the 1021 tweeters with the stock amp. The doors were a bolt in. Over time I ended up taping over the tweeters in the door because the Kappas are too bright for me. I chose the 1021 tweeters since they were a textile dome and not a metal dome and the Infinities already have a tendancy to be bright.

I'm very happy with the tweeters. If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten the 3 ways in the doors but instead just the 6.5" Kappa by itself. I do however like the "big tweeter" or whatever you call it with tape over the small metal dome tweeter.

The difference over stock was night and day. Clairity is much improved and you gain a little volume. Mid bass is a little lacking but no worse than stock. The 1021 tweeters don't scream at you but they are bright.

But...... When I added an amp, besides the fact that they now went 10X louder, the difference in clairity was amazing, the highs were higer and clearer, vocals are much more clear, and the midbass that was lacking is now there.

I have the stock speakers in the rear still and even those sound amazingly good with the JL audio amp.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I installed the Infinity Kappa 3 way 6.5" in the doors and the 1021 tweeters with the stock amp. The doors were a bolt in. Over time I ended up taping over the tweeters in the door because the Kappas are too bright for me. I chose the 1021 tweeters since they were a textile dome and not a metal dome and the Infinities already have a tendancy to be bright.

I'm very happy with the tweeters. If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten the 3 ways in the doors but instead just the 6.5" Kappa by itself. I do however like the "big tweeter" or whatever you call it with tape over the small metal dome tweeter.

The difference over stock was night and day. Clairity is much improved and you gain a little volume. Mid bass is a little lacking but no worse than stock. The 1021 tweeters don't scream at you but they are bright.

But...... When I added an amp, besides the fact that they now went 10X louder, the difference in clairity was amazing, the highs were higer and clearer, vocals are much more clear, and the midbass that was lacking is now there.

I have the stock speakers in the rear still and even those sound amazingly good with the JL audio amp.

Was 3022 a direct fit to the existing center mount?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thelinux
Was 3022 a direct fit to the existing center mount?
I'm 99% sure it bolted in but I can't quite remember. I'll sell you the other one NIB for $20.

But to be fair, unless you listen to DVD-As, you're probably wasting your money. The Navi does sound a little clearer though.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmt1

I'm leaning toward 6022 will the "i" fit in the doors or do we need the "si"?

Chris

I want to know this too. if 6022i does not fit, 6022si will fit?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm 99% sure it bolted in but I can't quite remember. I'll sell you the other one NIB for $20.

But to be fair, unless you listen to DVD-As, you're probably wasting your money. The Navi does sound a little clearer though.
Check your PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thelinux
Check your PM.
Got it!