Need recommendations for my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need recommendations for my sound system

I'm a new member here. I just bought a NBP 2008 TL Type S 6-speed w/Navi a week ago, after my NBP 2002 RSX Type S was totaled on Thanksgiving day. I came out fine, obviously the car did not (at least it was the other guy's fault). Anyway, I pulled my stereo equipment out of the RSX and was thinking about putting it into the TL. Here's what I'm hoping to do, and what I have ready to be used.

Wants:
  • Keep factory head unit
  • control my ipod with the wheel controls (want to see all the file information)
  • Audio definitely, Video would be nice (is a video ipod, that I'd like to hide)
  • XM Radio (want to see all the artist/station/etc. information)

Here's what I have from the RSX:
  • 1 set Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
  • 1 set Infinity Reference 6022SI
  • 1 Infinity Reference 475A
  • 1 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ
  • 1 Infinity Reference 1600A
  • 1 Farad Capacitor (I forget the manufacturer)

What else might I need to get the most out of this system, and keep my stock head unit and nav intact? I've read the threads about the different ipod options. I have had a hard time finding any reviews of the HONPD4, but it sounds like what I would want. Anybody got a good reason to go with or stay away from it? How much sound deadener should I get? Any other suggestions or things I should consider? Thanks for any help that is offered.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An oem integrated sound processor
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nick337
An oem integrated sound processor
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the 3SIXTY.2 for that, but wan't sure how much of a difference it really makes. Anybody else got any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It makes a big difference because you can control almost all aspects of the sound.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigThames
I'm a new member here. I just bought a NBP 2008 TL Type S 6-speed w/Navi a week ago, after my NBP 2002 RSX Type S was totaled on Thanksgiving day. I came out fine, obviously the car did not (at least it was the other guy's fault). Anyway, I pulled my stereo equipment out of the RSX and was thinking about putting it into the TL. Here's what I'm hoping to do, and what I have ready to be used.

Wants:
  • Keep factory head unit
  • control my ipod with the wheel controls (want to see all the file information)
  • Audio definitely, Video would be nice (is a video ipod, that I'd like to hide)
  • XM Radio (want to see all the artist/station/etc. information)

Here's what I have from the RSX:
  • 1 set Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
  • 1 set Infinity Reference 6022SI
  • 1 Infinity Reference 475A
  • 1 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ
  • 1 Infinity Reference 1600A
  • 1 Farad Capacitor (I forget the manufacturer)

What else might I need to get the most out of this system, and keep my stock head unit and nav intact? I've read the threads about the different ipod options. I have had a hard time finding any reviews of the HONPD4, but it sounds like what I would want. Anybody got a good reason to go with or stay away from it? How much sound deadener should I get? Any other suggestions or things I should consider? Thanks for any help that is offered.
1. Ditch cap...they're useless...replace OEM batttery with a much better aftermarket battery...ie....Optima Redtop,SVR,Odyssey,etc
2. save yourself some money and headache...don't buy a sound processor...direct solder a set of RCA's to the low level signal before the stock amplifier...the stock headunit provides a great signal and decent voltage to support almost any aftermarket stereo system...
3.sound deadener...use sparingly...basically use as needed...reduces weight on doors...believe me u park in a drive way or hill and nobody wants to open an extra heavy door not to mention they have a tendenacy to close unexpectadly on legs when trying to get out of the car...
4.iPods - Audio...i recommend the iSimple...I personally refuse to install my car...because the sound quality of an iPod is just shit...even AAC formats...just sound like ass...I still carry around 100's of CD's...eventually i'll end up putting one in just for the damn convienance...
5.iPod - video...I recommend the PIE pieces...www.pie.net or peripheralelectronics
6. XM - go buy the kit from the dealer...

best of luck

-Jason
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
1. Ditch cap...they're useless...replace OEM batttery with a much better aftermarket battery...ie....Optima Redtop,SVR,Odyssey,etc
2. save yourself some money and headache...don't buy a sound processor...direct solder a set of RCA's to the low level signal before the stock amplifier...the stock headunit provides a great signal and decent voltage to support almost any aftermarket stereo system...
3.sound deadener...use sparingly...basically use as needed...reduces weight on doors...believe me u park in a drive way or hill and nobody wants to open an extra heavy door not to mention they have a tendenacy to close unexpectadly on legs when trying to get out of the car...
4.iPods - Audio...i recommend the iSimple...I personally refuse to install my car...because the sound quality of an iPod is just shit...even AAC formats...just sound like ass...I still carry around 100's of CD's...eventually i'll end up putting one in just for the damn convienance...
5.iPod - video...I recommend the PIE pieces...www.pie.net or peripheralelectronics
6. XM - go buy the kit from the dealer...

best of luck

-Jason

When doing the direct solder, do you use anything for eq, active setup or time allignment?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM
3rd Gear

USA Spec PA15-ACUxl

I just installed the USA Spec PA15-ACUxl in my 2007 Acura TL Type S with Nav Traffic, Navigation, and Satellite Radio (all factory). This piece works great and interfaces with the XM 1 tuner displaying the ipod information. The only downfall i have found is it "slows" the XM tuner down. The songs switch instantly, but the data information is lagged to the console. Check it out.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the tips guys. Anybody else out there have other recommendations? It'll be a few weeks before I begin this project. I am loving the TL, so far. What an awesome car.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
I also have the PA-15ACUXL, works great. I have never been a fan of the PXAMG based isimples (for any car) just too many software glitches for my liking.

I do agree w/ Jason about the processor. Most people think they need it and have no idea how to use it. Now if you know how to really set it up that is a different story, but few people really "get" what the processor is for.

I have the PAC video interface and it works great.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
6th Gear

Thanks. I'll check it out. I wanna get my tax return before I do anything anyway, so I've got time.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

check out the Alpine pxe-h650 processor, supposedly much easier to set up. It has a microphone and the unit tunes the system automatically.