need honest opinions/facts... new head unit or...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
need honest opinions/facts... new head unit or...

I'm starting to have problems with my CD player skipping or not reading. Want a new Pioneer double DIN unit. I also want to keep my factory speakers (I know the center may not work) and factory sub, and still use the factory amp. I also would like to still use the factory XM radio feed and steering wheel controls. Is this all possible or should I just buy an FM modulator and an iPod?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of what you say is possible, but expensive. Installation on our cars (assuming you aren't doing yourself) is very involved, and you'll need some more parts besides just the head unit to retain your steeling wheel controls and XM, plus custom brackets for mounting, etc.
I plan on keeping my car and driving it another 4-5 years, and it wasn't worth it to me at a price-tag of over $1,200 out the door to get a double din unit installed.
There are plenty of other options to an FM modulator. You can go with a BT45 from USAspec and have stock-ish (in the sense that you don't see anything, and can use steering wheel to skip/start over tracks) bluetooth right from your phone, and installation is easy (very DIY).
The fact that you're using CDs leads me to believe you're very concerned about sound quality, so maybe bluetooth isn't for you. That same unit ^^ will install an AUX cord (this will make things a little more involved install-wise, but still DIYable). No stock controls.
Things like iSimple can give you a lighting cable to plug into an iPod, and steering wheel controls. Even Best Buy can do this one for you.
Of course, if you want the added functionality of a new head unit (touchscreens, dvd, carplay, bluetooth, whatever), then maybe the price is worth it. But there are plenty of other options that will solve your problem for a third of the cost (less, even) and still retain your stock look.
If you're willing to spend on a new head unit, do yourself a favor and spend a little more than the 20 or so bucks you'd spend on an FM adapter and do a dedicated install.
The following users liked this post:
EvilJoker (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:55 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been burning the DVD-A discs for music. I dont mind doing my own install, or buying install kit for the new head unit. Just dont want to change more than I have to. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I will be installing an Alpine Double Din unit and using the dash kit from 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 ACURA TL DOUBLE DIN DASH KIT

I should be able to use the factory sub with this kit, i will report back once i get it all done.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
In my opinion the sound quality from the factory head unit is good. I dont know about tuebother HU's currently available. I would say if they dont support the dvd-a and you have invested considerable time creating duscs wuth this type format then stick witu factory unit. Otherwise it is a toss up IMO.