Need help with DVD/navi and I-pod integration

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with DVD/navi and I-pod integration

I'm currently planning to add DVD to my navigation system and an I-pod interface to my audio & video system. I've been searching through the threads and I've found so many options. There really is a lot of great information on here. Unfortunately, there is so much information that I'm a bit torn as to what direction I should go, so I thought I would post my questions here and see if anyone could help me out. I've basically narrowed down my options to two configurations.

I love the AV Electonics Audio-Video switcher system with the builtin TV tuner. The system can easily handle the A/V inputs from the DVD system that I will be installing. However, I have a few questions about it. First, does the unit have PNP power capability, or do you need to tie into the vehicles power by splicing wires? Second, does anyone know of a good I-Pod adapter to integrate with this unit. I know that I could connect the I-Pod directly, and have both audio and video, but I would have to control everything from the I-Pod itself. I was really excited about the Neo ProLink I-Pod adapter, but since this plugs directly into the stock radio, this isn't an option with the AV Electronics system. The other option I'm looking at is the Valor iLink. I don't like the fact that steering wheel controls and radio controls will be lost, but at least I'll have a video interface and remote control to operate this interface and it appears that I can connect it directly to the A/V inputs on the A/V switcher. Does anyone know if the Valor iLink will integrate with the AV Electronics system? Also, some people have stated that an AUX unit will still be necessary. I don't see why since this unit has 4 A/V inputs and 4 A/V outputs. Another question I have is about the AV system's interface with the stock radio. Is this plug and play? Finally, if I plan to wire multiple inputs with a single output to the radio/nav, how do I accomplish this?

The other option I'm looking at is purchasing the Neo ProLink I-Pod adapter which includes an AUX input that I could use for the DVD system and the TVandNAV2Go system to connect the DVD video feed to the NAV system. The problem with this setup is that the cost wouldn't be much cheaper, I wouldn't have I-Pod video, and I wouldn't have a TV tuner.

I anyone could help me, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
My recommendation: Dom's TVandNav2Go, PIE X3, Valor iLink, and TV Tuner (Dom has a TV tuner that he packages with the TVandNav2Go module).

Perform a search for threads by vandido626. He has a very similar setup.

Personally, I can't see myself watching TV in my car and I would go with USA Spec PA11-HON2y for simple iPod integration.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlingo2001
The other option I'm looking at is purchasing the Neo ProLink I-Pod adapter which includes an AUX input that I could use for the DVD system and the TVandNAV2Go system to connect the DVD video feed to the NAV system. The problem with this setup is that the cost wouldn't be much cheaper, I wouldn't have I-Pod video, and I wouldn't have a TV tuner.
Well, you could just get a dvd player that has a built in tv tuner and a/v inputs (most have these inputs). You will then be able to watch videos from the iPod on your nav. Essentially, you'll be using the dvd player as a passthrough. This is pretty much how I have my system setup. The only difference is that I'm using the UsaSpec adapter instead of the Neo ProLink (not to mention that it's also cheaper than the Neo).