NavTool Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NavTool Power Question

This is a probably dumb question, but I just want to see if there is any reason my thought process won't work here.

I ordered the NavTool unit and will be hooking it up to my iPod Video and/or Touch. I know most people run the power cable to the fuse box and ground in the trunk. My wiring skills are at about a 4 year old level, so I thought of a potential easier solution. I ordered a dual Jolt charger that has two usb ports to run power from. One will be used to power the docked iPod. I am thinking of using the other port to power the NavTool.

I am already running the video cable and toggle switch lines to the center console and would have to run power to the front anyway, so this would allow me to bundle all of the cables and run everything together to the same spot. The lower cubby in the center console armrest is going to be my convergence area so I can plug in my portable DVD player if I want to watch a DVD. A USB cable has 4 wires (red, black, green, white) 2 for data and 2 for power. By connecting the red and black leads from the USB cable to the ground and power from the NavTool it becomes a homemade USB power cable.

I guess my two questions with this are:
1. Is this too far from the unit (mounted by the DVD-Rom Drive) to run the ground?
2. Is there anything else I am missing in my logic that makes this a bad idea?

I am definitely new to all of this, so any advice from experienced installers is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I think this could work.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whizzups
This is a probably dumb question, but I just want to see if there is any reason my thought process won't work here.

I ordered the NavTool unit and will be hooking it up to my iPod Video and/or Touch. I know most people run the power cable to the fuse box and ground in the trunk. My wiring skills are at about a 4 year old level, so I thought of a potential easier solution. I ordered a dual Jolt charger that has two usb ports to run power from. One will be used to power the docked iPod. I am thinking of using the other port to power the NavTool.

I am already running the video cable and toggle switch lines to the center console and would have to run power to the front anyway, so this would allow me to bundle all of the cables and run everything together to the same spot. The lower cubby in the center console armrest is going to be my convergence area so I can plug in my portable DVD player if I want to watch a DVD. A USB cable has 4 wires (red, black, green, white) 2 for data and 2 for power. By connecting the red and black leads from the USB cable to the ground and power from the NavTool it becomes a homemade USB power cable.

I guess my two questions with this are:
1. Is this too far from the unit (mounted by the DVD-Rom Drive) to run the ground?
2. Is there anything else I am missing in my logic that makes this a bad idea?

I am definitely new to all of this, so any advice from experienced installers is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
did this ever work im about to attempt the install