Navigation and Voice Command audio not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda CBR1100XX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation and Voice Command audio not working

my 2005 tl navi has a problem, and i'm trying to see if anyone else around here might have experience with it.

one day, i was using the system, no problems, and the next poof!

i can no longer hear any audio prompts from the nav system. instead of words, the speakers just emit short, loud "cha-chunks". the "cha-chunks" typically last about as long as the phrases that the nav system would utter would last.

for example, a 15-second nav phrase would translate into a 15-second series of "cha-chunks".

voice commands don't work either. hfl continues to work like a champ.

just now getting off the phone with my acura dealer, i was informed that their fix is a replacement dvd unit- which retails for $3100-ish.

so here, i turn to you for help.

suggestions?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
do you get a beep when you press the button? Does the system do what you tell it to?

IF it does what you say, it might be a bad center speaker. If it doesn't, then you will need a new drive or repair. A new drive is 2800 from tim @ hondaacuraworld.com

OR
for 180 dollars you can send your unit to alpine and they will fix it.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

I'm sure you did this already but if you didn't, go into the nav setup screen and make sure that the guidence volume is turn up and that feedback is turned on. good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

I just had something similar happen. I bought a 05 TL last week from a dealer up north. I noticed the disc in the nav was a 2003 disc but it still worked fine. Today I changed the battery and of course that reset the radio/nav and I had to enter the codes. When the nav first booted it said downloading software (from the disc). Now - my voice commands do not work (HFL does still) and it says HONDA nav when the system boots. Under the SOUND screen when listening to audio I no longer have controls for Sub and Center channels.

My best guess is the dealer had put an old Honda disc in my nav box to make it work but the system had already downloaded the newer interface (that controls voice commands) from a different disc. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I want to buy a new nav disc but they should be releasing the 2009 updates this "fall" whenever that may be.

This is my best educated guess as to what is going on with yours too. Pull the battery (if you have the nav and radio codes) for about 10mins. Plug back in and the system will reset and re-download from the disc. Also check the version of the disc you have. Anyone else have any ideas?