Navigation Screen Touchscreen controls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Screen Touchscreen controls?

Has anyone done any research into how the data from the touchscreen is sent to the Nav unit? I'm assuming it's probably USB since I've heard that the NAV system runs Windows CE.

What I'm curious for, is I am looking to integrate a carputer into the system, and would like to possibly hack into the exisiting touchscreen controls and possibly retain those controls for use with the carputer.

I've got pretty good electronics experience, so any scans of the wiring pinouts on the back of the front unit or the dvd-rom in the trunk would be extremely helpful.

I will post anything I find, as my research continues.

Thanks,
Tom Callahan
Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Instructor

I've been thinking about doing the same mod.

The connector on the nav computer that goes to screen has 2 pins for the data bus. These 2 pins may be used for touchscreen along with the other buttons and joystick on the screen. It may be USB, but even if it was, we wouldn't have the drivers.

But there is another alternative. A user over at mp3car.com posted a disection of tl nav screen. The touchpanel has 4 pin ribbon cable, so I think it may be a standard 4 wire resistive touchpanel. If this is the case, you could use any standard 4 wire touchscreen controller (usb versions available) to connect to the carputer. Using a relay, you could set it up to switch between the carputer touchscreen controller and nav touchscreen controller.

However, I'm more concerned that the screen resolution is too low to make a good carputer screen. If someone who has a nav/dvd adapter could post some pics of their laptop hooked up, I would appreciate it. AVelectronics has a nav/dvd adapter with Svideo which should give the best picture, but even then it may still not be that good for a carputer.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tejesh83
I've been thinking about doing the same mod.

The connector on the nav computer that goes to screen has 2 pins for the data bus. These 2 pins may be used for touchscreen along with the other buttons and joystick on the screen. It may be USB, but even if it was, we wouldn't have the drivers.

But there is another alternative. A user over at mp3car.com posted a disection of tl nav screen. The touchpanel has 4 pin ribbon cable, so I think it may be a standard 4 wire resistive touchpanel. If this is the case, you could use any standard 4 wire touchscreen controller (usb versions available) to connect to the carputer. Using a relay, you could set it up to switch between the carputer touchscreen controller and nav touchscreen controller.

However, I'm more concerned that the screen resolution is too low to make a good carputer screen. If someone who has a nav/dvd adapter could post some pics of their laptop hooked up, I would appreciate it. AVelectronics has a nav/dvd adapter with Svideo which should give the best picture, but even then it may still not be that good for a carputer.
I ordered my nav/dvd adapter this week, should be at my house today. I will post some pics once I get a chance. As for the reference on mp3car, do you have a link? The drivers wouldn't be too difficult, you could write some basic ones, or I could find someone to do it.

Thanks,
Tom Callahan
Old 12-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Cruisin'

Hey Tom,

Just wondering whatever happened with this project?
Was the quality of the stock NAV good enough to display windows?
Were you able to get the touch screen working with a carputer?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Holey thread bump!

Try this thread: IT WORKS!!! Use navi touchscreen on PC via USB!!!