Navigation ROM DRIVE HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Navigation ROM DRIVE HELP?

I Recently purchased a 2005 Acura TL, Beautiful Car, NO NAVIGATION!! I wouldnt Dare put aftermarket, OEM is beautiful so I am in the process of doing so, there are 2-3 posts for DIY and NAV install however I am confused as to wether the 2004, 2005 DvD ROm Drives are interchangeable?? can I use a 2004 drive with a 2005 screen? and what about the harness ? The 04 and 05 part numbers are diffrent but read the same disc and the harness have different part #s , So before I purchase the RoAnym Drive I would like to make sure it WORKS! Anyone familliar with this or have a idea please help, im stuck in the middle of my project!!
A couple have people told me 04 wont work with the 05 screen and a few said it should ,,,I am puzzled, by the way the 04 and 05 Screen Part numbers are the same??????????????
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm sure they will work with no issues. the 04 and 05 read different bin's on the DVD if i am correct, but both use the same DVD
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Instructor

hmmmm....what about the harness part numbers being different, and the rom player being different part numbers??...because the screens for 04 and 05 are the same part number, and if parts are interchangeable the numbers usually superceed....Thanks for the help though, I guess ill see how many people say what about it

anyone else know anyhting having to do with the oem NAV Install and the drives?

also someone told me I have to change the speed sensor??? if I install navi , and heat sensors???
any input would be great

Thanks again rbf351 just want to be certain

Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM

the reason for the harness change was because they went from 2 harnesses(a 3 pin and 17 pin) to a single 21 pin harness

the 21 pin harness on the 05 uses 20 wires, and the 04 harness uses all 17 and all 3. what they did was combine them together. so there is your reason for the harness change

the navi drive must be a firmware change since the connectors are identical between 04-06
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Ah I see! however being a change in the firmware wouldnt that possibly conflict with the running of the nav in the 05? and what ure saying is that they have made a 21 pin but only 20 are active so its the same thing but are the plug in slots on the drives identical? or would mods have to be done?and thats on the end of the drive but what about the other end of the harness?
Thanks I really appreciate the input
Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by TLMAK
Ah I see! however being a change in the firmware wouldnt that possibly conflict with the running of the nav in the 05? and what ure saying is that they have made a 21 pin but only 20 are active so its the same thing but are the plug in slots on the drives identical? or would mods have to be done?and thats on the end of the drive but what about the other end of the harness?
Thanks I really appreciate the input

the plugs on the drive have not changed at all. neither has the back of the navi screen
Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Okay so basically, I can get parts mixed from a 04 and a 05 and setup my navigation in my 05 no problem for sure?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Okay so basically, I can get parts mixed from a 04 and a 05 and setup my navigation in my 05 no problem for sure?
Last time I checked, the major different navi change is on the 07 year... the 04-06 share similar parts...
Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Instructor

IS anyone 100% Certain ??? abount interchangeable navi parts !!!
Majority votes it is but there has been Skeptics....and IF I or anyone else were to follow advice that wasnt certain its not pennies! but dollars!!(hence the reason for being so presistent and annoying sorry just want to make sure
THANKS
Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM

schematics don't lie

not sure who you've been talking to, but i'm pretty certain they don't have the schematics, and are just guessing
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rbf351
schematics don't lie

not sure who you've been talking to, but i'm pretty certain they don't have the schematics, and are just guessing
I'll go with rbf351's advise... He knows what he's talking about He had helped me countless times thanx... I'm still waiting on the navi drive parts for the 07s... or the 06 mdx...
Old 08-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Instructor

RBF351 Youve given me hope!!!! Okay ill go ahead and pick up the drive from the 04
it is actually the guy whos selling the drive who told me he had once put the 04 drive in his 05 car and it didn t work ???? ans advised me not to buy it and the dealer says theyre not sure if its the same cause it has different part numbers...but ill go ahead and take yore aadvice I really appreciate it...thanks RBF351 and Psheu,,,,everyone

hmmm...anyhting else I need to know about this install?

am I missing any main parts , Iknow I need the 3 harnesses ,The drive , Screen, gps antenna, display above the vents and steerinmg controls

Is there anything else??
I keep hearing speed sensor and heat sensors??? whats that about?
THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME HELP
Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 PM

heat sensor? if you mean the one on top of the dash board for the sun, they are identical

i'm not sure the speed sensor, but if 28810-PPW-013 is the speed sensor part number, then they are both the same on the 04 and 05
Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
like rbf351 has said there should be no problem between 04 and 05 mixing parts they are the same. it's in the 07's that there is differences. no need for new heat or speed sensors. the only thing with the speed sensor is that you have to tap into the vss (vehicle speed sensor) out. this tells your navi what speed you car is traveling at. i've done this conversion twice before.

BTW: where are you getting the harnesses from? new? for the 3 harnesses thats a pretty penny. they are not cheap!! have you looked into a custom harness? would be alot cheaper if you could get the connectors and make your own. were talking like $600-$700 cheaper
Old 08-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Really appreciate all the help, as for harness im getting the dash harness for $150, the one harness is cheap anyway like $70, and the last im not sure where, display and steering controls so far prob the dealer unfortunately, Where can I get a custom harness> or do you mean make it my self, cause as it is i feel it will be hard for me to do the conversion 600, 700 cheaper is what i like to hear!! oh and for the speed sensor is that not all plug and play when I add the new harness ??
Many Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Bone stock tl-s

well if you get the oem harness it has a ton of connections and plugs on it, which your car already has. the only thing you are adding is the navi. so why would you change out all the connectors and plugs? yes, the vss out is plug and play but youll have to separate the corresponding wires and connect them. im just saying just connecting the cables/ wires that pertain to the navi would save you tons of time and $$ if you're having someone else do the install. not to mention all the headaches it will prevent.

here are two of my threads https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140796
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/people-fl-really-dumb-163028/
Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jptl04
well if you get the oem harness it has a ton of connections and plugs on it, which your car already has. the only thing you are adding is the navi. so why would you change out all the connectors and plugs? yes, the vss out is plug and play but youll have to separate the corresponding wires and connect them. im just saying just connecting the cables/ wires that pertain to the navi would save you tons of time and $$ if you're having someone else do the install. not to mention all the headaches it will prevent.

here are two of my threads https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140796
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163028
jptl04, do you know what the new 07 HFL/XM module look like? I think I'm gonna go with the entire 07 setup... thanx
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Instructor

Thanks very much JPTL, I checked out your Threads, wow thats alot of wires, great work by the way, and nice job on everything youve done love the S too, I looked up all your threads, tried to find somethng to pick at by loved it all, JUST wondering if you happen to know where I can pick up a custome harness ??? Or do I have to make it? Is it difficut?
I may very well have someone do It, I just have a feeling id take more precaution doing it myself, so im still debating....??? Please any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Thanks very much JPTL, I checked out your Threads, wow thats alot of wires, great work by the way, and nice job on everything youve done love the S too, I looked up all your threads, tried to find somethng to pick at by loved it all, JUST wondering if you happen to know where I can pick up a custome harness ??? Or do I have to make it? Is it difficut?
I may very well have someone do It, I just have a feeling id take more precaution doing it myself, so im still debating....??? Please any help would be greatly appreciated

i made the harness i used in about 4-5 hrs taking breaks, but i also new what wires went with what connectors. since i did it before i was familiar with the process. and the ETM manual is crucial! the hard thing is knowing what goes where. im sure if i had a custom made harness i could install the navigation in about 6-7 hrs easy.

i would find a wrecking yard that specializes in honda/acura parts and find the connectors you need. then make or have someone make the harness. the install will go alot smoother.

if you dont do it this way and decide to replace the entire wiring harness this is whats in store for you car https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134478

you tell me what would you rather do!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jptl04
i made the harness i used in about 4-5 hrs taking breaks, but i also new what wires went with what connectors. since i did it before i was familiar with the process. and the ETM manual is crucial! the hard thing is knowing what goes where. im sure if i had a custom made harness i could install the navigation in about 6-7 hrs easy.

i would find a wrecking yard that specializes in honda/acura parts and find the connectors you need. then make or have someone make the harness. the install will go alot smoother.

if you dont do it this way and decide to replace the entire wiring harness this is whats in store for you car https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134478

you tell me what would you rather do!!!
that is one awesome job you did... in my case, I just patch wires... trying to make the 07 HU work on the 04-06 TL... everything works fine except the dvd changer... I need the 07 navi drive and the new HFL/XM unit to make it work... the 04-06 navi drive gave a "EXTENSION" message when disk is inserted into the 07 HU...