View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this code?
Yes - I know Matlab and want to help Now!
8.33%
Yes - I would like C Source
8.33%
Yes - I would like Python Source
0%
Yes - I just want an EXE ASAP
25.00%
No - I don't need this
58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Navigation Log Decoded! (GPS data at 1Hz)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Navigation Log Decoded! (GPS data at 1Hz)

All,

I hacked my Nav screen a while back on my 06 TL, and finally got around last week to looking at the raw data logs you are able to create on the PCMCIA card. I never found anyone else that had worked with them, so I started messing with it. I found GPS messages that update at 1Hz, and include eveything from lat/long,altitude, velocity, heading... I've also found GPS stats like VDOP/HDOP, and tracked satellites. I've decoded about 100 bytes, of the 1Hz messages, but there are a lot of other fields to go. Including a large ~8000 byte field that repeates every minute, and ~ 400 bytes of what I think is Gyro data, but I haven't been able to decode / correlate it yet.

If you haven't messed with your nav before, in the dedug screen you can enable logging to a PCMCIA card. I have a CF card in a PCMCIA reader, and it just logs every time the car comes on, then I pull it out pull of the binary file, and run it through my decoder.

Right now I'm doing all the development in Matlab, but I'll port it over to C or Python and send it out for others. Right now if there is anyone who knows Matlab, has a TL, and wants to help try and figure out more fields, let me know, and I can set up a code repository someplace.

So if anyone wants to help, great... if others are interested in getting the code, let me know. If no one is interested, then I'll probably just mess with it myself, and eventually post some source once it isn't just hacked together.

Sidewinder
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know matlab and C.
I had actually tried to analyze the log data without success. I tried to read it as a text file, import it into MS access or excel, reading it in a C compiler and hex editor. Let me know what you got.
There's a guy that used to come by named AngryDad who has done a lot of work in hacking the navi. He was able to pull a different set of data which was much more useful and much easier to read. I believe they logged as text files. Here's his post on the subject: http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewtopic.php?id=32. I was never able to log text files.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I voted that I don't need this. I'm wondering...what would we do with this?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
10th Gear

Well, Depends on what you want to do with your car. Some of the reasons I wanted the data was.

1.) Looking at real trip data, for the car, and the hope that there is also some other performance / CAN bus type information.
2.) You could use it for tracking if you let anyone else use your car. i.e kids on the weekend, see how fast they went and all that.
3.) I actually wanted to be able to look at average speed over certain sections of road, look at average speed, what back road was faster / shorter and all that. Obviously you can do that with the trip OD, but it is a real pain looking at times and everything while you are driving. This logs everything to the card, and then you can look at it later.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zeppelin77
I know matlab and C.
I had actually tried to analyze the log data without success. I tried to read it as a text file, import it into MS access or excel, reading it in a C compiler and hex editor. Let me know what you got.
There's a guy that used to come by named AngryDad who has done a lot of work in hacking the navi. He was able to pull a different set of data which was much more useful and much easier to read. I believe they logged as text files. Here's his post on the subject: http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewtopic.php?id=32. I was never able to log text files.
The files I'm decoding are not text, they are binary. Basically I did some unknown data correlation tricks, and found how the binary was repeating, and then started associated the values with known values. I'll send you the 'hack' matlab code, and you can try it out.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by SidewinderTL
Well, Depends on what you want to do with your car. Some of the reasons I wanted the data was.

1.) Looking at real trip data, for the car, and the hope that there is also some other performance / CAN bus type information.
2.) You could use it for tracking if you let anyone else use your car. i.e kids on the weekend, see how fast they went and all that.
3.) I actually wanted to be able to look at average speed over certain sections of road, look at average speed, what back road was faster / shorter and all that. Obviously you can do that with the trip OD, but it is a real pain looking at times and everything while you are driving. This logs everything to the card, and then you can look at it later.
I see, got it!

I'll give you big props if you can figure out how to get rid of the "OK" nag button on '07 + TLs as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
froglosopher

Originally Posted by princelybug
I see, got it!

I'll give you big props if you can figure out how to get rid of the "OK" nag button on '07 + TLs as well.

BIG DITTO!!! I hate that having to push that "ok" button every single time I start the car. Most of the time I just dont bother.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by froglosopher
BIG DITTO!!! I hate that having to push that "ok" button every single time I start the car. Most of the time I just dont bother.
Sorry guys, I haven't been that motivated to dive into the code of the Nav... I'm sure it is possible, but the GPS data as been more fun lately.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
10th Gear

Update

Well, I think I have 95% of the GPS data pulled out, as well as the Yaw Gyro. The GPS message includes position, speed, altitude, heading, and all the satellite tracking information, (i.e. number tracked, az/el of each satellite, HDOP, VDOP etc)

I also have figured out the Gyro data, it appears to be the yaw gyro updating at 50Hz (50 times a second) Integration yaw rate correlates well with the heading. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is acceleration in any other axis like I was hoping. For any of you non controls guys, yaw is left right. It still makes for an interesting picture, but doesn’t give us acceleration when hitting the gas, or breaking which would have been nice for performance info.

I still have another field to decode, but it only updates every 5 minutes, so I assume it is slower vehicle state information, but we will see. It is much longer than the 1 Hz messages (~8000 bytes vs 590)

There didn't seem to be that much interest, so I think I will just code up the GPS, and yaw decoding in C and post and EXE someplace for anyone to use. Any preference in an output file format? I'll probably just do something simple like a CSV file so anyone can look at it in excel or something. And I think I’ll have a verbose mode… where I dump everything, and just a simple mode with time, location, speed, heading.

Sidewinder
Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I would love to have details on the format of this file, and am willing to help immediately. I had intended to decode it on my own, but this much easier!
I've used Matlab (years ago), but know C/Java much better. I can do the conversion to C or Java if you'd like.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

hey Sidewinder, good job on this.. sorry I've forgotten all my programming but I'm sure an exe with CSV export it would be pretty cool for the nerds here

Thanks for your work.