Navi won't call from address book

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi won't call from address book

Anyone have the problem where the 'call' button is dimmed on entries in the navi address book or on searches for places? This used to work but I discovered that I can no longer call from the navi. I don't really know when it stopped working other than these things have happened that might have caused it (in that order)

a.) I installed the Dice w/text display (hence disconnecting battery)
b.) 1st A-service performed by the dealer (which reset some navi settings)

I have un-paired all phones and re-paired my phone but the 'call' button is still dimmed.

I have a 07 TL Navi.

I'll mention it to the dealer on my next service but figured I'd run it by the gang here as it will be a few months for that visit.

Thanks!
Rick
Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Instructor

I had this exact thing happen

It is because you disconnected the XM module in the Trunk. It actually handles all of the HFL stuff on the NAVI itself. As well as the AcuraLink functionality.

I have the dice, and because of this, I run it on CDC mode only (even though I dont want XM, and I do want Ipod text.)

I even went so far to look at the wires on the 2 plugs on the XM. I hoped that one was for XM, and one for NAVI stuff, but no luck, All of the wires are all mixed together.

If you want this functionality, you gotta plug back in the XM, and go to CDC mode on your DICE.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Another thought I did have.. which you may want to try, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

There are many wires coming off of the 2 plugs on the XM, not as many wires going into the plug on the radio where the dice plugs in.

I Think that some of the wires that handle the AcuraLink and NAVI HFL functions are going from the XM module to the Navi system, not to the radio.

It may be possible that you unplug the connector going into the radio, and just use the dice plug there (Eliminate the Y Cable), and that may cut XM out completely, but still allow all other functionality of the Navi.

Now I have read NICK@DICE say that you need the Y Cable back there or you will lose the NAVI, so this might do nothing for us.. But It might be worth a Try if you have the opportunity.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I had this handy, so I'll throw it up.

This is the plugs on the XM module. The smaller plug has the HFL stuff on it. The larger one has NAVI Communication lines..I think that is for AcuraLink, as well as the XM Text data and all that stuff.

You could unplug the large one, and leave the smaller one plugged in, and MAYBE the call button on the navi would work, but you will still lose AcuraLink.

Image LINK
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Thanks! Guess I'll have to work on it when the weather gets warm. I'll have to decide on whether to go cdc mode, live w/o navi-dial or hack a little with the wiring.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Instructor

If you figure something out, be sure to post it!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That doesn't sound right, the HFL unit is up by the homelink transmitter.. the XM unit is in the trunk; unless they completely changed the setup for 07-08, because 04-06 users have not reported this problem that I know of...

It wouldn't make sense to make that drastic of a change for a model that is on it's last year before a complete re-design, but eh who knows!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Instructor

I dont know if they completely redid it or not, but I do know that when I first asked about this problem last fall, I got no responses, So I figured it was a new thing with the 07's.

But as you can see in that link, the smaller connector is defiantly part of the HFL system. I noticed all the HFL functions still work except anything on the Navi. Its a very minor problem, that I dont care much about.
But I do care about losing AcuraLink. So to CDC Mode I go!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Hmmm, I guess I could try CDC, but the reason I went with Dice was to get ipod text. I have to think about which is more important. I have a month or two as it's pretty cold and I'm to old to work with frozen hands. Hey, I might even (finally) install my Basslink II that's been sitting in the garage for almost a year.

Nalek, I have a question about switching back. Knowing that there may be a firmware upgrade or something with the Dice, I installed it in a place easy to swap it out (was able to fit it between the gear shift and arm rest/cup holder so I only have to remove that side to swap or reconfigure it. My question is if I move to CDC do I have to fiddle with the y-cable plugs in back of the radio? If not I could switch to cdc mode relatively quickly.

I'm going to ping Nick on this to see if there is a workaround (maybe a customized harness for the xm module in the trunk. I think if not that they should mention in the documentation/specifications that one with navi will lose this functionality when using text.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

To swap to CDC mode, all you have to do is flip the first 2 jumpers UP (I believe)..

I also mounted mine in an easy swap location. Mine is under my driver seat, so I can switch back and forth.

Nick said that the development was done an 07 Type S. I would think they have to know what happens if you strictly plug the DICE into the stereo without the Y Cable. I would think that is the only possible way that this is going to get solved. Many people have asked for a different Y cable that could switch between XM and DICE with text. I dont think it's going to happen (due to limitations with the whole system)

I agree, I was shocked to find out that you lost more stuff than advertised. Im sure most people figured the whole system was the same, and the 07's wouldnt be much different than the 06's.

I have a question for you. When I did have the unit on TEXT mode, to switch songs, I had to press and hold the steering wheel CH+ button, with CDC, I can just press and release to switch songs.
Nick told me that my buttons were not getting remapped as they should, does youre function the same as mine?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Yes, in text mode I have to press and hold the up/down steering buttons to change tracks. It was also accomodated with an annoying beep. I tend to just turn the tuning knob on the radio one click to move around songs. If I just tapped the button it would change the mode (to playlist, etc. as if I were hitting one of the 6 preset buttons).

Actually, this being the 1st car with steering controls, I almost never use them for volume either. The knobs on the head unit are so close to the gear shift that I (after 1 year) still adjust the volume there (hard to teach an old dog new tricks)!

The other annoying thing in text mode, which I never called Dice about, was when in playlist mode (channel button 2), changing playlists is like Russian Roulette. It doesn't display the playlist name (it acually always says playlist), so as I move around I have to remember the 1st song of the playlist to figure out what playlist I'm in! Was your's like that?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Good, That means there is nothing wrong with mine then!

The good news is that in CDC mode, you just tap once, and it switches songs quicker than in TEXT mode, and no beep!. Its much more responsive I feel.

It seems to me that the changes in 07 were more than DICE tought about looking into. They should defiantly mention this on their sales info.

I wish it would work on TEXT mode as advertised, without losing the NAVI stuff.