NAVI, is a waste of money!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI, is a waste of money!

DISCLAIMER: I do like the way it makes the interior look.

but Seriously, Who really uses the NAVI for the mapping abilities. I can really count on one hand the last time i said, 'oh shit where is there a MacDonalds' in Seattle or 'where is the closest Holiday Inn to my house'

Yes, if I really felt like it, I guess i could ask 'NAVI' for directions. btw.. I don't have NAVI in my TL for the following reasons

1. Resale is better on Non-NAVI then NAVI.
2. you will end up paying more than $2500 for NAVI over the term of your financing or lease
3. Currently NAVI systems are relatively stupid to those in Japan obviously, so, don't feel like wasting money on it. In a couple years, they'll be able to do much more, like show you real-time traffic problem spots.

Now if i drove from Seattle to Iowa, then perhaps it may come in handy, but probably won't happen in my TL anyway.

You will probably be able to count on 1 (maybe 1.5) hand the total number of times you will actually really need it... unless you are someone who doesn't know where the hell you're going most of the time.

All it does it look cool, b/c yoos a fool riding around with screen glare at night. trying to feel important, hoping people will say 'Oh damn, check that guy out, he must have a whole entertainment system in there, or be watching TV'

1. You will never use or even care about the Solar sensing climate control, some may not even know they have it.
2. You may use the voice commands, but most of the time, I bet you'll find it easier to just push the #2 preset or #2 disc button or change tracks on the steering wheel, then use a voice command to switch stuff.

Why do most people want NAVI hacks? B/C they want to actually use the $2500+ screen in their car.

So lets think about the logic there. I buy a $35000 car with Navigation, only to get annoyed by certain aspects of it 3 months later, even wanting to reprogram it so it doesn't do what its supposed to. It looks cool, but then I realize this 8" is too cool to just show a map, so I try and get a hack so I can watch movies on it.

I ain't hatin on the peeps who have NAVI... im just simply stating the fact that its not used for its intended purpose most of the time.

BETTER SOLUTION IF YOU DON"T GOT MONEY TO WASTE:

Spend $3000 and upgrade all the speakers, b/c even even with our ELS 5.1 system, the sound is respectable, but still shit, if you compare it a BOSE systems of Acura old. Get a DVD system with an 8" mounted right above the clock unit, with headrest units (why the hell not) and maybe a separate sub, and maybe even throw in an amp.

Then when your car is bumpin off a true DVD-V, peeps will be like 'oh sh!t'

But, you probably paid a premium for you TL anyway, and it looks good inside. =)
Old 04-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Life is good.

Agreed. It just looks cool. The most retarded part is the voice command, it accually takes more energy to hit the voice swich, speak (hope it understands you), then it would to simply hit the climate control switches a couple of degrees. You are truly a lazy bastard to have to use the voice command, it is a step backward in time! It's only 17" away you fat ass! Same goes for the Hands free link, I had a better phone setup in my Mercedes, it had a telephone keypad along with a screen, much easier to use and you get like 20 presets for your radio!
Old 04-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Advanced

2004MT6TL,

Thanks for the reply... i made the mistake of submitting before actually writing so I have two threads with the same heading, but its jsut my opinion. I know most people have NAVI, and that I'll be getting mad flame mail.. but what the hell.

if you've got it, good for you, if you don't, i say don't need to have buyer's remorse over it.

There are better options.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the whole point of this post?

Sounds like someone wished they had Navi.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
321 whp SAE

w/o navi, interior looks and lights up like shit.. well worth it for cosmetics alone.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

man.... i had to find a way around 66 this past weekend because it was HORENDOUS! and i'm not from that area..... all i did was move the cursor around and find streets all around there and got around it in no time....

for me, that thing paid for itself right there!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
Agreed. It just looks cool. The most retarded part is the voice command, it accually takes more energy to hit the voice swich, speak (hope it understands you), then it would to simply hit the climate control switches a couple of degrees. You are truly a lazy bastard to have to use the voice command, it is a step backward in time! It's only 17" away you fat ass! Same goes for the Hands free link, I had a better phone setup in my Mercedes, it had a telephone keypad along with a screen, much easier to use and you get like 20 presets for your radio!

::in a very sarcastic voice:: BUT I like to be a safe driver and keep my eyes on the road at all times, and hands never leave the steering wheel at 10 & 2 !!! So the voice command is a dream come true! ::end sarcasm::
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

no wonder the suicide rate in Seattle is higher than anywhere else!

let it go man! the navi is worth it!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Advanced

I find NAVI to be very useful when I am in another City and I am looking for places to eat and shop. I live in Dallas, TX and I visit Austin, TX often. When I'm in Austin, I have no idea where to go to find shopping malls and good restaurants. NAVI is awesome for this purpose.

Also, when I'm driving on the Interstate going from city to city and I happen to spot a very big traffic jam ahead, I would exit right away and use NAVI to navigate me to another nearby highway that will take me around the jam. This to me is worth the price of the NAVI. It has saved me hours and hours from being on the road when I don't need to be.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by silvermullet
DISCLAIMER: I do like the way it makes the interior look.

but Seriously, Who really uses the NAVI for the mapping abilities. I can really count on one hand the last time i said, 'oh shit where is there a MacDonalds' in Seattle or 'where is the closest Holiday Inn to my house'
The real reason, is because you live in the pacific northwest. (At least that's my conclusion). I think the engineers that designed the Navi in the Acura didn't think anyone cared about the PacNW.

I had the same complaints with the navi in our TL. However, it was only our TL that suffered that problem. The Navi in my G35 is exactly the opposite.

It seems like 99% of the time, when I enter something in on our TL, it's not in the database. Whereas, I don't have that problem with the G35. There were times, when I met the wife somewhere, and she'll call me on the phone while we en-route, because she wants me to look up the address in my G35, so she can manually enter it into her TL.

and it's not just us. This even happened on company off-site meetings. On of co-workers would ask me for the address so they can manually enter it into their TL.

Edit: I just re-read your post, and I think I misunderstood your complaint. Maybe you just need to get out more I use our navi all the time to go exploring, or meet friends at places I've never been. Heck, I've even found new/quicker ways to get home from places that I thought I knew like the back of my hand.

Personally though, I mostly use the Navi as a phone book, as I enter in places, just to get the phone number so I can call ahead, make reservations, ask if they have something in stock, etc. However, that's where my main complaint about the TL's navi came from. The database of stuff in the PacNW sucks on the TL.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:08 PM
TL in the IE

I've used my Navi like 10 times in the one month that I've owned my TL. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

I figure you dont travel a whole lot that why you don't think its worth it. I just picked up the Garmin Nuvi 350 and it's the next invention akin to the iPod imo.

Don't abuse it till you really use it
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Wow, there are actually people with sense here. If you get lost in your own city and/or can't follow directions when going elsewhere, you have some serious problems. Of all the people I know who have navi, I've only seen one use it...we were going to lunch and this chick was driving (a 2G), she got lost trying to find a shortcut and instead of listening to any of the three men in the car, she used the navi system. We got back to where we needed to be, but could've accomplished it without the navi.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM
|AM.UA6|

Damn, this thread is hella old, started on 4/04.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Navi is worth its weight in gold.

Some people just can't appreciate technology.So be it.If you don't like it

don't buy it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acb45
Damn, this thread is hella old, started on 4/04.
talk about back form the dead

anyway, i do sales and use navi at least twice a week.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced

I do have navi and yes it makes the interior much easier on the eyes. $3000.00 canadian may be a bit much to pay for simply looks but I do use the navi from time to time. I usually know where I'm going and do not need to be told by some women how to get there, but there are times that I really don't know the routes and the navi can really be helpful, especially in a different town than where I live.
I will relate a story where the navi indeed came into its own just the past week. I had rented a cottage up in northern Ontario and was looking for a golf course that I had played the following year. The mapping really comes in handy to find routes on your own but the best part about this story was that the roads that the golf course were on were not digitized and hence the navi puts in bread crumbs. (a great feature that doesnt work if roads are digitized) I could find my way not only to the golf course from a year earlier , but also the strange shortcut route back to the cottage from the golf course was also still in the system saving me from taking the long way back. I suppose that still doesn't cover the expense of navi, but lets face it. Half the crap we buy these days have bells and whistles we rarely use or need at all, take cell phones and digital cameras, tv's etc...

Just the other night I wanted to hit the driving range and the traffic was a little heavy, so I used the navi to find a route through residential areas bypassing most of the traffic. Many times before owning navi I would ponder if certain roads would short cut or save time, but never tried in case they were dead ends or curved the wrong way farther ahead.

I don't think my next vehicle could not have navigation. I'm to used to the convenience of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
If you get lost in your own city
Give me a break'. You tellin me you can go down a series of any random street in say, Los Angeles, and not get lost?

Originally Posted by chill_dog
and/or can't follow directions when going elsewhere, you have some serious problems.
You telling me that your friends always give you impeccable directions? I've had friends give me the wrong street name, or get their compass directions mixed up. Nevermind if there's a detour.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by avs007
Give me a break'. You tellin me you can go down a series of any random street in say, Los Angeles, and not get lost?

You telling me that your friends always give you impeccable directions? I've had friends give me the wrong street name, or get their compass directions mixed up. Nevermind if there's a detour.
^^ BINGO

Not to mention MapQuest / Yahoo Maps are a SURE SHOT way to get lost.... the only online Mapping DB that I've had any sort of luck with is Expedia.

And to "assume" that people use their Navi's only in their city AND end up getting lost is seriously an un-thought of answer. Not trying to diss you but I'm pretty certain you don't know your city roads like the back of your hand. You need to know what you need to know and the rest remains "informational".
Old 07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I thought this thread was locked and buried? wth? Somebody dug up ANOTHER "navi is a waste of money" thread?

jesus.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

You should have spent your money on the Magellan portable Navi system. I went on vacation to France this summer and took mine with me. It was great for finding all the little back roads and nooks and crannies, and wineries for wine tasting etc etc.. iIt was only $500, and I didn't have to fit my whole car in the suitcase !!!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:07 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

thread is old and whoever pulled it out could get flamed and should be flamed.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Shift_faster

Someone take this thread out back and euthanize it.

This topic will always be discussed. It is as old as the G35 vs. TL debate. Can't we just say its debatable and leave it at that?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Racer

The poster is obviously lost.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Someone take this thread out back and euthanize it.

This topic will always be discussed. It is as old as the G35 vs. TL debate. Can't we just say its debatable and leave it at that?
Man...that makes too much sense for this place! lol Good suggestion!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Old 07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The OP's username says enough ... silvermullet. It's long been established that people with diminished mental capacity have hair that grows abnormally long in the back.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Thread closed just like the other one was. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78370