Navi resetting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi resetting problem

I just wanted to share a problem I had with my navigation. It started resetting itself every time I started the car. It would ask for the navi code and then download the software. This happened ever time I started the car.

Luckily, I bought the extended warranty from Acura when I bought the car. Unluckily, my dealership is a bunch of thieves. I brought the car in and told them I think the navigation unit in the trunk needs to be replaced. They tell me that they think that it's not covered under the extended warranty. I told them I'm positive it is and they need to double-check it.

They keep the car overnight to check the navi and do a couple of minor recalls. They call me and say they are not reading the right voltage at the battery and this was due to an amp I installed. They wanted to charge me $400 to replace the battery and battery cable. I said NO, I'll come pick up the car. I didn't believe them, but I replaced the three old battery and cleaned the battery terminals myself.

So, I went back to the dealer again, told them I replaced the battery and the navi is still resetting itself. This is another service rep, and he tries telling me it's not covered. Now I'm furious, yelling, making a scene at the service counter. He says they'll look at the navi again and double-check the warranty. Finally, they determine the navi unit in the trunk needs to be repaired and it's covered under the extended warranty. They had to take the unit out and send it to alpine for repair. I had to come back two weeks later (my fourth trip to the dealer) and they installed the repaired unit. Now it's working fine.

I probably could have argued to get the $100 back for the battery I bought, but I was just happy to have my navi working again. I won't be going back there for any more service work.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So which dealership was this, so that we can avoid them?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn
So which dealership was this, so that we can avoid them?
McGrath Acura of Morton Grove