Navi Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 01:10 PM
Racer

Navi Question

Just bought a 2006 TL A-Spec off of craigslist out of state and had it shipped up here to Alaska. Obviously the Nav doesn't work up here but I wanted to know if you guys know of a way to get it to work. I called into the Acura dealer and they said that there is no way to get it to work up here. The guy seemed like he didn't really know what he was talking about but I don't know that for sure. I just find it hard to believe since Audi, BMW and the like can get theirs to work just fine but not Acura.

Anybody know of a way?
Old 10-30-2008 | 01:24 PM
once you go black....

Ummm...have you seen the car yet? Have you put any money down on it? I'd be careful, craigslist is known for scams, and I wouldnt ever buy something off of craigslist without seeing it in person first. Just make sure its a legitimate source. Im sure youll be OK, but id be cautious....
Old 10-30-2008 | 01:36 PM
Racer

Yeah I know about the scams and I did a ton of research. Had it checked out at a local Acura dealer. I actually have it in pocession right now. I absolutely love it!!! I never saw it in person until I picked it up in Anchorage last week. It was a little weird but everything worked out great. It's pretty easy to figure out what is a scam and what isn't. Thanks for the warning though. I know a lot of people that have almost fallen for them.
Old 10-30-2008 | 01:49 PM
Team Anthracite member

Your answer is NO. This is right from the Acura.com website.

* Acura Navigation System available only in the 48 contiguous United States (lower 48) and Hawaii. See your local Acura dealer or the vehicle’s navigation system owner’s manual for current navigation system area coverage.
Old 10-30-2008 | 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Welcome to the TL family.

I would check with the software provider. I don't have their name, but I'm certain you can find it here, at Acura's website, or check on the disc located in the hardware in your trunk.

When you say "doesn't work," do you mean that map details don't appear, or do you mean that the actual position/location of your car on the map is not indicated? If the map details (roads, rivers, locations) do not appear, then it may be that the software provider has not included this information on the disc. You can find out what map information is on your disc version by checking with the provider's website. If your car position/location does not appear on the map (indicated by the Acura symbol in the middle of your navi screen), then it may be that communication between your car and the satellite (providing positioning) is not occuring. I suspect your location on Earth (Alaska) in relationship with the satellite used for positioning may be the problem in this case.

Just a guess...good luck.
Old 10-30-2008 | 02:22 PM
Racer

Well, I bought a TL-S 08 AT and I live un Puerto Rico and the Navigation doesn't work. But the acura dealer told me that on Feb-09 the disc will arrive. So maybe go to an acura dealer and ask for it.
Old 10-30-2008 | 02:29 PM
TL SL ML :)

codeman I see you're from Wasilla aka where Sarah Palin's from...you have any input on her work there etc? just curious
Old 10-30-2008 | 02:49 PM
Safety Car

^^^^ .

Please don't turn this into another political thread! The guy just wants his nav to work!

OP - Welcome, congrats on the new TL! that really sucks if you won't be able to use the navi, and BTW you have a lot of balls to buy a car from Craigslist, glad it all worked out for you!
Old 10-30-2008 | 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by blazinginder
codeman I see you're from Wasilla aka where Sarah Palin's from...you have any input on her work there etc? just curious

Of course I do, she goes to our church and is my in-laws neighbor. Although I don't want this to be a political thread either. PM me if you want information.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will have to call corporate or something because the guys that work in the parts dept. at the local dealer don't seem to know much. They told me that it won't work and that it never will. Not saying they are wrong but just doesn't seem like they cared at all. To answer one of your questions, the nav screen just doesn't come up. I can get the audio screen to come up but when I press the map button, nothing happens.

I love the car though. I have wanted one for a long time. Spent a ton of time on craigslist and ebay looking. You just can't find one up here. Especially an A-Spec. There are from what the dealership told me 2 A-specs in the state. Well, now 3. Mine is black on black with tinted windows. I put black wheels on it for winter. Didn't want to pay the higher price for winter 18" tires.
Old 10-30-2008 | 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

call up alpine and see if they make a alaska disk for the TL
Old 10-31-2008 | 01:47 PM
Intermediate

If it works in Canada....you may have a shot. Then again, coming from craiglist, it might just not work due to a malfunction. Do all the voice commannds and audio screen, HFL screen come up?
Old 10-31-2008 | 04:49 PM
Racer

Sorry, I am still a little new here. HFL?
Old 10-31-2008 | 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by codeman
Sorry, I am still a little new here. HFL?
hands free link, its basically the bluetooth system to hook up your cell phone to the car.