Navi Joystick Continues to Aggravate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Navi Joystick Continues to Aggravate...

I purchased my 2006 TL in March, and from the beginning the navi joystick has been a problem. While trying to move left, right, up or down, the system frequently registers a "click" (when you press the joystick in to select something) even when I'm trying very very hard not to press it in. Most of the time this happens, when I release the joystick after moving in a direction. While I can just live with it, it's annoying when I'm trying to scroll around the map and it thinks I've clicked and pauses to look up an address. Happens constantly.

I already brought in the car a few months after I purchased it and asked them to look at it, but they concluded it was "functioning normally". My wife picked up the car so I didn't have the chance to press them on this issue. Of course, they also responded to my request for a screen calibration with a note on the reciept that said "no calibration function exists" even though we all know that one does (I've used it several times). Typical.

I'm due for my first service interval this weekend, and I plan to really press the service manager to address the joystick this time. It is so incredibly sensitive that I'm sure it's not normal. And I'm worried it will get worse over time. So if I want this addressed under warranty, now's the time. But I know fixing it will probably require them to disassemble the dash, pull the entire screen unit, and replace it. I'm sure they will work hard to avoid that.

Advice? Suggestions? Similar experiences?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem but I'm honestly not sure there is anything they can do. It truly does seem to be the way it is designed so unless Acura redesigns the navi joystick, there is nothing a dealership will be able to do.

The touchscreen calibration also annoys me slightly, especially since I know I can calibrate it myself but don't know how. No matter what I do on that screen, it doesn't seem to improve the calibration and no one here seems to really know either.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Yes, I've had the same problem on the calibration screen. I've used it but don't seem to be accomplishing anything. Perhaps the function doesn't actually work, or perhaps it requires something to be plugged in (a tool that only the factory would have).

When I take the car in this weekend, I will ask to try a joystick on another new car on the lot, to see if it's any better. I've heard different things from different people on this forum in the past about what is "normal" for the navi joystick.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I took it to the dealer today and spent considerable time showing the service rep what the problem was. Of course, he had "difficulty replicating the issue". I clearly showed him how it happened and while he acknowledged it was occurring he kept trying to say I was pressing down on the stick, when I was doing my very best to move it sideways only. He was good enough to bring another car over so I could compare. In that car, it was much less of a problem, though it still did occur.

So it's kind of a tough call whether to press for a replacement, since the new one might not work any better. But I suppose there's a good chance it will. My service rep couldn't approve the repair today. He said I'd have to see the dept. mgr next week when he's working. So I have an appointment for Wednesday. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I found that the best way to manipulate the joystick is between my thumb and forefinger instead of placing a fingertip in the recess on the top. By pinching the joystick I can easily manipulate it without pressing it by accident.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Instructor

You must have small fingers to get them in that space around the joystick.

Well, maybe I'm beating a dead horse. I don't know. Pursuing this further is going to take a lot of my time and energy, and I could very well end up back where I started.

I wish someone sold an extension to the joystick that you could more easily pinch. I'm sure that would help. Something with adhesive on the end. I've seen such a thing for certain PDA thumbads that would probably work well.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

It doesn't require small fingers. The joystick protrudes from the surrounding bezel, so there's plenty of room for even the most ham-fisted person to nudge it side to side without pushing in on it.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue,

I try the same thing and while it makes it better, I still find myself pressing it in by accident from time to time. This method is also a little bit harder while driving.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:03 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I used to try putting my finger into the recess on the top of the button, but I ended up pushing it all the time. Now, I just nudge it from the side. It takes a little getting used to, but it works fine once you get the hang of it.

That said, I don't really use the joystick much anyway. Maybe someone will come up with a mod for making it harder to push. Perhaps a rubber O-ring around the center ("OK") switch will provide just the right amound of resistance.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Instructor

I went back and spoke with the service manager this time. He agreed the sensitivity of my nav joystick was far greater than normal, so he has placed an order for a replacement unit. We tried another car again and it was much less of a problem in that car.

It's great that he didn't debate it with me. Looks like I have a good dealership.