Navi Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry Navi Bulbs

So, after a long three weeks of having my dash completely disassembled due to the wrong color bulbs around the navi display, I finally got it all back together. I tested it all and everything worked. I get it all reassembled and cleaned up. Then I go to move the car, I turn on my lights. Two bulbs that I put in stopped working! WTF? Not happy.

Any case, I do have a question. Do all base TLs with navi have dimmer “Setup/Info” and “Zoom” buttons? Mine seem to be very dim. I ordered the bulbs from the dealer and put them in the holes specified by the dealer’s schematics. Any ideas? I have to take it apart now anyway!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Dimmer control use the + and - that is located to the bottom right of the steering wheel.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the OP meant if the Setup/Info and Zoom buttons are more dim than the rest of the buttons.

I've never noticed. I'll check and let you know.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

I've read a lot of dash lighting issues but nothing about different voltages. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. From what I remember, there were a lot of people asking how to get to the bulbs. No questions about certain buttons being dimmer than others.

Thanks for looking into it for me. Would anyone know if the 07 and the 08s use different bulbs? Or if the TL-S uses different bulbs than the base model? It shouldn't be this hard to change the bulbs.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug
I've read a lot of dash lighting issues but nothing about different voltages. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. From what I remember, there were a lot of people asking how to get to the bulbs. No questions about certain buttons being dimmer than others.

Thanks for looking into it for me. Would anyone know if the 07 and the 08s use different bulbs? Or if the TL-S uses different bulbs than the base model? It shouldn't be this hard to change the bulbs.
the bulbs are the same, its just the bulbs condoms that affect the color of the bulb. the base has blue ones and the TL-S has red ones.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

csmeance:

I had the red bulbs and covers, I ordered the blue ones from the dealer. I've attached the sheet the dealer gave me to make sure I put the right bulbs in the correct hole. Notice the voltage and "MA" difference between the part numbers. I'm having issues with bulbs 5 & 6.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got like 10 bulbs out on my 05. I've never seen it this bad in a car before. Thank god it only took me a week to memorize where all the buttons are or else I'd be ripping apart my dash to change em out just like you.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Now that I've been driving it for a few weeks, two more bulbs have gone out. I was thinking about it and wondered if anyone knew if there was a difference between the TLS screen and the base screen. This all started because I had the red bulbs. I'm going to call my dealer to see.

Another idea I had was that maybe the above parts schematic is wrong. Maybe they have the bulbs in the wrong hole. If one of the buttons was too bright, and the others were too dim, wouldn't that mean that one bulb was getting too much power and the other not enough?

I'm going to order new bulbs today so I have them when I tear the dash down again.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I would like to see pictures when you getter done.. =) sounds nice. I wonder if blue would look better
Old 02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Well, I'm not putting in blue covers. I'm just trying to make it stock. I bought a TLs screen, and the buttons below the screen were red. They were red because of the covers over the bulbs. I purchased new bulbs so that those buttons would match the rest of the dash, but they aren't working correctly. I've seen some members here put LEDs in their dash lights. Those actually make the buttons blue. Looks sweet, but right now I just want those six buttons to match the rest of the dash.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

*update*

So I tore my dash apart again to see if I could fix my bulb problem. I found that I did in fact install the bulbs as per the diagram. However, two of the bulbs actually fell out of their sockets and that is why they stopped working. That didn't explain why my outside buttons were brighter and the inside buttons were dimmer. I put bulb 5 where bulb 6 was and bulb 6 where 5 was and it worked. In fact, the bulbs fit nice and tight so they won't fall out again.

When I ordered a second set of bulbs (in case the current ones burned out), I also checked the diagrams for the TLs and an 06. These diagrams also show 5 and 6 in the wrong location. I'll let the dealer know that their diagram is wrong when I return the second set of bulbs.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
8th Gear

I am having the same issue with my new 08 TL. The 2 buttons on the bottom left of the nav screen (map/guide and menu) are not as bright as the others. I am wondering if they put the wrong bulb in at the factory. I am wondering if it's worth having the dealer replace the bulb and risk scratching the dash and creating rattles when they put it all back. Is this something I can do myself and how difficult is it to access the bulbs?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

There is no easy way to get to them. You have to remove everything under the dash on both sides to get to the screws that remove the deck and screen. You have to take the silver trim pieces off too which is really scary. I've removed them many times and I've read that others have removed them countless times without damage.

I haven't driven my car enough since I've taken it apart. I've disassembled it three times now and I'm really fast now! But start a thread on it here and see if others have had any issues with rattles after they've taken their dash apart. I scratched one panel with my finger nail so you are taking a risk. You just have to determine which bothers you more: Messed up dash lights or the possibility of scratches/rattles. The lights drove me crazy and I haven't really put any miles on the car!

Here is the link to pics of my install:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...TL/Navigation/

If the dealer messes anything up, they will most likely replace it as long as you put up a stink. Just look the car over really well (clean the crap out of it) prior to dropping it off. Cleaning it serves two purposes. The first helps you identify damage prior to leaving it in the dealer's hands. Second, it helps illustrate to the dealer that you love your car. They will most likely know that you will come back if you find damage.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, nice you did a navi conversion. Where did you source the 07-08 parts? I was thinking of getting a type s HU I found one for a good deal,but I could not find the 07-08 player. I think I might stay with the 04-06 if I dont find one.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

I did it the easy way and bought the package from Martin. I can get you his contact info if you want it. It was hard enough tearing apart the car and I didn't want to fry anything.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug

Wow!!!

I really want to change out all my LEDs from green to blue but I'm too scared to pull everything apart..
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Mug - I'll take that contact info for Martin please. Can you PM me?

Anyone have any pics of their dash with the color change?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Martin: acurahondatech@comcast.net
Old 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info. I have seen the schematic you posted for the 06. Do you know if the schematic is wrong for the 08? Are bulb 5 and 6 reversed? I just want to be sure and inform the dealer so they dont tear everything out and replace it with the wrong bulb! Also do you have to remove the navi screen entirely from the car in order to change the bulbs?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Yeah, you have to remove the screen and the CD player. Just print out my schematic and take it to the dealer and compare it to what they have. I had the dealer look up three different years. Even the TLs and they were all the same. Unfortunately, I was in the same boat. I had no idea what was wrong and hated to tear the whole dash apart again in fear that I wouldn't be able to fix it.