Nav issue - intermittent lockup of tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
2015 Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav issue - intermittent lockup of tracking

Hi everyone-

I'm having an issue with my '05 TL navigation system. I've had this problem for maybe 6 months. It is very intermittent.

What happens is when driving, the nav will stop showing the forward motion of the car. It's like the system freezes, but if I make a turn the nav shows me turning. I can go into any menus.

After a few minutes, the nav will realize what happened and update my position and resume tracking the car on the map.

I've noticed that it seems to happen more often than not after making turns, but it does happen while driving on relatively straight roads like the I-90 here in western NY.

I upgraded the nav disk to the 2010 version with no change to this problem.

I've looked at the different diagnostic screens and the only one that shows errors is the F-CAN page. It says "Error Active" with the following stauts:

UNIT ID ID
ENG 12C 224
METER 0D4 1F4

I've seen other posts with that exact status but no resolution to if that really is a problem or not.

All the other settings in the diagnostics page have never been changed. Everything else indicates the car is working as it is supposed to - i.e. no errors.

The only other thing I've seen as a possible solution is to re-seat the connectors on the nav drive in the trunk.

Does anyone else have any ideas? If it is a hardware problem, I'd like to have an idea what it is before I take it to the dealer (way out of warranty).

Now that I have written this, the only other thing that changed about 6 months ago was that I got an iPhone. It generally works great with the handsfree system... perhaps I need to try driving with the iPhone off and see if that makes a difference. Could the wifi or bluetooth on the iPhone be interfering with the F-CAN network?

Thanks!

-Eric
Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If u did a navi upgrade... or the previous owner did they might have just shoved the gps antenna under the rear shelf... I did this for a day, before i got a bracket to mount it in the stock location. I also get an FCAN error so im thinking it was a conversion so wiggle the wires and check gps antenna location. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same exact problem.

Notably, the GPS diagnostic screen shows the position (latitude, longitude) changing while driving, as it should. However, the car's position on the map stays stuck until it become un-stuck and jumps to the correct current position.

Also, notably, the map user interface is responsive when the position is stuck. The map will scroll when moved with the joystick, which suggests the nav DVD is being read.

All of this points to a communication problem between the GPS receiver and the mapping system.

I presume the system uses a magnetic compass to determine the vehicle's heading, which is a separate input to the mapping system. As with your experience, no problems with stuck headings, just lat/long position tracking.

Have you had the problem solved (or at least diagnosed)?