Is my sub blown???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is my sub blown???

A few weeks ago while listen to one of my favorite songs, I started hearing an awful crackle/flutter from my sub. I turned down the sub bass and it seemed to simmer down but was still apparent. At that point I just left it turned down and never turned it back up. Now recently I turned it back up to listen to some music with some good bass and NOTHING!!!!!

I adjusted the fade to the rear speakers and heard no sub, then adjusted to the right and left of the rear speakers but still nothing. I can remember which direction, I think left will turn off the sub, but when back on again I hear nothing from it.

Can anyone suggest some other tests or is it just that and it is blown?? If it is indeed blown is there a replacement that can work just as good or better. I did want to do speaker upgrades but not in the budget right now. Can anyone of you guys give me some suggestions of what to do next as far as replacement or upgrades?? If I do upgrade it would be no more than $500 for the system.

TIA~Rod
Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I would guess that it's blown. You can remove the carpet from the top of the trunk and check the connector but I've never heard of one coming loose. You can unplug it and hook a 1.5v or a 9v battery to the sub and see if you get any noise from it. If not, it's the sub. If the sub does make noise with the battery hooked up, stock amp failures seem like they're becoming common.

As for aftermarket, don't waste your time trying to find a replacement to drop into the stock hole, I haven't seen anyone happy with the results yet. You'll need an amp and sub and box or infinite baffle depending on your preferences but there are a ton of choices out there.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would guess that it's blown. You can remove the carpet from the top of the trunk and check the connector but I've never heard of one coming loose. You can unplug it and hook a 1.5v or a 9v battery to the sub and see if you get any noise from it. If not, it's the sub. If the sub does make noise with the battery hooked up, stock amp failures seem like they're becoming common.

As for aftermarket, don't waste your time trying to find a replacement to drop into the stock hole, I haven't seen anyone happy with the results yet. You'll need an amp and sub and box or infinite baffle depending on your preferences but there are a ton of choices out there.
Good info here OP. You could get a sub that only requires a VERY small box, amp, and install it for about $200 I'd guess. Be quick and easy. That's what I'd do either way
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice......I guess I will look into one of those discrete subs that goes on the side of the trunk and doesnt take up much space and wire a small amp to it. Ashame that no one has any good results with replacements or upgrades. Will search a little more and see what results I come up with. Thanks I hate cars/Trunk Monkey