My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
acones_ou, Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX if you don't care for iPod integration, USA Spec PA11-HON2 for iPod + 1 aux input, or PIE X3 for 3 aux inputs.
I would recommend the PIE X3 b/c the USA Spec has some quirks in it. Mine still doesn't work properly. I rechecked my installation today (removed all the silver trim, side panel, etc. removed the Y splitter cable, and it still isn't working right.)
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced

acones_ou, Welcome to the forums!

In order to add video input to the factory navigation system, you will need to purchase a video interface. Many are using Dom's TVandNav2Go module. He is currently running a group buy here.

In order to add audio input(s) to the factory head unit, you will need to purchase an audio interface. There are a few that will allow you to add iPod integration, aux-in, or both. Here is a summary of the popular ones. I would recommend Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX if you don't care for iPod integration, USA Spec PA11-HON2 for iPod + 1 aux input, or PIE X3 for 3 aux inputs.

Those are the two main modules you will need to add to incorporate DVD/PS2/XBOX/Carputer/Mediagate to the factory system.

There are a few threads around with details on each type of install. Just search and browse a bit. Here are mine:

Yes, Welcome acones_ou!! This is a great forum and I'd be lost/bored without it.

Datmrman,

I see alot of new people asking this same question. Maybe a sticky on audio and video integration and a list of the more common options? Just an idea.

Anywho, on monday I am going to call about that Gefen IR extender that I posted a link to earlier. If it looks all good I will order and let you all know how it goes. I am going to be installing my media player tomorrow so I can try the eye for the Valor iLink. If it works maybe we can contact Valor Multimedia and ask about parting with some eyes. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are 2 pic of the eye. Have no idea what brand it is. It does not work at all. I tried putting it in half way, all the way.... nothing. Plug is the right size.
You can see the size of it compared to the Avox.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hoTLanta
Datmrman,
I see alot of new people asking this same question. Maybe a sticky on audio and video integration and a list of the more common options? Just an idea.
Yea, I plan on creating a FAQ for Audio and Electronics. It's currently on my list of things to do. Theres just so much info that it might take me awhile.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

FADE, the IR sensor looks good and it meets the specs for the AVOX.

Did the local shop just give it to you free of charge? I'm worried that its faulty to begin with. Hopefully Crook can give you some ideas to try.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some pics of a remote eye that didn't work at all because there was a break somewhere in the middle of the cable. I matched the red, black and white wires back up after removing the bad section of the cable. I repaired the cable and plugged it into the MG-25 and the sensor still wouldn't work so I decided to experiment and swap the white and red wires (inverse them) on the repaired cable. I plugged it back into the player and sure enough, it worked.

Here it is taken apart. See if it's similar to what you find.

This is a smaller remote eye that I use in my car and it did not need to be rewired. I also took it apart to show how it is similar to the other remote eye but with a smaller circuit board.
This is the cover after I removed it from the sensor. It looks like a tiny mouse.

The inside of the smaller remote eye which is mounted below the steering column.

Both of these remote eyes were bundled with a mobile dvd player from the past. Does anyone else out there have a working remote eye similar to these or do they look like the one FADE has?

FADE, I have not seen a remote eye like that one you have. It looks like it has a red LED on it. If is was free, you might as well test it out by swapping some of the wires like I did above. You might have some luck with it then.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Thread Necromancer

Yes it was free

My Wife’s van has an I/O eye just like the one you repaired. It didn’t work for me either. Can’t take that one apart though :P

I will try out the wire swap thing on this one I got and let you all know how it turns out.

By the way the little silver eye in the repaired one is the part I got sent from Best Buy Part Search.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Thread Necromancer

I tried the wire swap. No go.

Here is a pic of the power adapter I found. I am going to make a box to mount the plug in under the passenger seat.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FADE
I tried the wire swap. No go.

Here is a pic of the power adapter I found. I am going to make a box to mount the plug in under the passenger seat.

Isn't that alittle overkill for the application? The way datmrman explained it to me is we only need 20watts for the avox. I just got the cheapest one from radioshack $29.99
Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lembowski
Isn't that alittle overkill for the application? The way datmrman explained it to me is we only need 20watts for the avox. I just got the cheapest one from radioshack $29.99

I don't think it is overkill. It is nice to be able to plug in any small appliance to it in the car: i can think of PS2, laptop, and other devices. I think new car should just come with a build in power inventor the first place.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the way the little silver eye in the repaired one is the part I got sent from Best Buy Part Search.
FADE, do you mean the part you order from Best Buy for $5 was for this circuit board ? If so, maybe we just need to soldier 3 wires from the circuit board to a 2 ring stereo jack, then it is good to go. Do you have a pic of the part?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Power Adapter For Dummies

I was getting tired of looking for both a power adapter and a working IR sensor so I just made my own adapter. Here are some pics:

Shot of the XM ADAPTER and household adapter side by side with the phono plugs installed. The little pigtail is the connector that plugs into the AVOX unit. It has a female phono plug and the adapters are terminated with male phono plugs. It works like a charm.

Closeup of the connectors I put on. This way the car adapter can stay hidden in the car and I can still pull the media player plus the pigtail out of the car with me and plug it back into the 120volt AC adapter.

Enjoy!!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Oops, I forgot to add these.

Here are the parts I used for the post above:

Male 1/8 mono connectors

Female 1/8 mono connectors

Cheers!!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Thread Necromancer

Originally Posted by waacow
FADE, do you mean the part you order from Best Buy for $5 was for this circuit board ? If so, maybe we just need to soldier 3 wires from the circuit board to a 2 ring stereo jack, then it is good to go. Do you have a pic of the part?
Yeah it was just the little silver eye, looked exactly like the one in the first pic.. I sent it back all ready.

I did not want to cut holes in my car at all. I liked the idea of having the rca connectors mounted so you could quick connect / disconnect. So that’s why I got the break out box / power converter. I am making a small wooden box to mount it in under my passenger seat. So I can just plug the Avox in and hook it up to the rca right there. Makes it very portable. I can also plug in a ps2 or any other console I want with this set up with out having to tear the car apart again. I only want to have to do that once. So I have all my parts but the eye now. It is keeping me from doing my install. Really starting to get aggravated about it.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Yeah it was just the little silver eye, looked exactly like the one in the first pic.. I sent it back all ready.

I did not want to cut holes in my car at all. I liked the idea of having the rca connectors mounted so you could quick connect / disconnect. So that’s why I got the break out box / power converter. I am making a small wooden box to mount it in under my passenger seat. So I can just plug the Avox in and hook it up to the rca right there. Makes it very portable. I can also plug in a ps2 or any other console I want with this set up with out having to tear the car apart again. I only want to have to do that once. So I have all my parts but the eye now. It is keeping me from doing my install. Really starting to get aggravated about it.

I totally understand, my aggrevation level is off the charts. :angryfire

I went ahead and installed it(AVOX) anyway today and removed the iLink. I will just open the center console when I go to use it. Until we find an eye that works that is. I tried the IR sensor from the iLink and it did not work. In fact it disabled the IR sensor on the front when it was plugged in. My guess is that it shorted some of the pins out.

Anywho lets give it our best effort. Im ordering one tomorrow to try out. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Oops, I forgot to add these.

Here are the parts I used for the post above:

Male 1/8 mono connectors

Female 1/8 mono connectors

Cheers!!
hoTLanta, That was pretty creative and a good work around for those who can't find a replacement tip for the XM adapter. That XM adapter works great, doesn't it?
Here's a shot of where I put my player, under the driver's seat. I can access it from the front or rear of the seat. The floor A/C vent under the seat keeps these components cool during long road trips. My front seat is moved all the way forward to take this picture.

It's simple to access and remove, only 3 plugs.

Here's a screenshot of the video folder, a little out of focus though.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

we should all e-mail Vantec and whine about the IR extenders hahaha. Maybe they'll do something about it! The squeaky door gets the oil...so it might work.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Instructor

I totally understand, my aggrevation level is off the charts. :angryfire

I tried the IR sensor from the iLink and it did not work. In fact it disabled the IR sensor on the front when it was plugged in. My guess is that it shorted some of the pins out.
That's what happened to me when I plugged in that eye that I had to later rewire. It disabled the IR sensor on on the front of the media player. Once I rewired it, both sensors worked while the remote eye was plugged in.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crook
That's what happened to me when I plugged in that eye that I had to later rewire. It disabled the IR sensor on on the front of the media player. Once I rewired it, both sensors worked while the remote eye was plugged in.
I would love to try and rewire the sensor to find out if it would work but I am sending my iLink back to DCS, along with the sensor. I dont think they would appreciate it being chopped up.

I really hope we can all find a compatible sensor soon.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Trucki!!

Here is another retailer that sells the Myron & Davis AMT-202
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...ng1202a32.html
Old 07-23-2006, 08:55 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ it looks like they link back to the wholesale place?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
^ it looks like they link back to the wholesale place?
Hum.....didn't notice that. Man I feel kinda bad for you guys. Has anyone tried to call myron & davis direct?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:07 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

^ i am going to try to find one of those locally @ electronic stores or work.

or...i'll try to make one

yeah yeah...i'll pretty it up when i have 100% functionality
Old 07-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Trucki!!

looks good Malayalee King, I'm still debating if I want to use one of those wall adapter things. I want to find a black one, painting it just seems strange to me.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Advanced

^ i am going to try to find one of those locally @ electronic stores or work.

or...i'll try to make one

I was considering trying to make one myself. I wonder if an infrared mouse could be used?

If you find one locally would you be willing to ship to other AZ members?

I am going to pull one of those mice apart tonight and see whats going on in there. If I am successful I will post results and maybe a DIY.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

looks good Malayalee King, I'm still debating if I want to use one of those wall adapter things. I want to find a black one, painting it just seems strange to me.
i don't know if you'll find a black one. Just spray paint it. The easiest way (er...the way i did it), was after dremeling it to make it smaller and sanding it down, I used tape to cover up the RCA jacks, then spray painted two coats on it.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

yep, i'll probably take it apart one day and bondo it in nicely and flat black the inside as it was really hard to hold a flashlight and keep the drill bit steady haha -- there are scratch marks everywhere on the inside. i couldnt get the dremel in there either.

I was considering trying to make one myself. I wonder if an infrared mouse could be used?

If you find one locally would you be willing to ship to other AZ members?

I am going to pull one of those mice apart tonight and see whats going on in there. If I am successful I will post results and maybe a DIY.
you can probably use the IR mouse sensor. I think if you goggle IR eye or IR receiver DIY you'll find some info. It doesnt look too bad, I'm not 100% sure about the plug end yet.

I'll post whatever info I end up with.

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
i don't know if you'll find a black one. Just spray paint it. The easiest way (er...the way i did it), was after dremeling it to make it smaller and sanding it down, I used tape to cover up the RCA jacks, then spray painted two coats on it.
yup, flat black is what i'm going with. did you know that there is a nut holding each rca plug in that you can just unscrew to pull each plug out? no need for tape

i like the cable i used too. no need for right-angle jacks even though i bought them
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Trucki!!

Yeah datmrman did his at my place, so I know how he did it I wold just perfer a black one for some reason. I guess I will just go buy one and try to make it look perfect.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

did you know that there is a nut holding each rca plug in that you can just unscrew to pull each plug out? no need for tape
What?? hahaha oh well, the tape worked fine for me
Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

I was very close to picking this up at Fry's. It is a very nice solution for a car install. I recommended this to lembowski, but he didn't (and probably still doesn't) know where Fry's Electronic is.

Looking forward to seeing that in your completed install FADE!

Malayalee King, nice install there! That doesn't look like the center console of the 3G TL. Where did you install the AVOX?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Safety Car

Yeah datmrman did his at my place, so I know how he did it I wold just perfer a black one for some reason. I guess I will just go buy one and try to make it look perfect.
Good luck with THAT dude! I've seen your patience.. or lack thereof.

What?? hahaha oh well, the tape worked fine for me
You're not alone. I almost did the same thing until I notice the bolt. Unscrewing the plugs was a time saver though.

I started cutting and trimming the wall plate at lembowski's place, but I did some additional sanding and shaping before I painted it black. Rotary tool: Wonderful invention! I think this was all I did at lembowski's place.

Looks like the hunt for the IR sensor has turned into a group effort. Awesome! Good luck with it guys! I'm still keeping my eyes out for other possibilities.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Advanced

No luck using an infrared mouse.

The mouse uses an infrared diode and not a transistor. This would make the circuit a little more complex. The only schematic circuits I could find online were designed for connecting to a COM port on a PC. Im sure it can be done but its a little more R&D than I am looking for. Plus the sensor looks likes it is made for small precise amounts of infrared. I dont think it would have any kind of range to it.

I did find this however. It may be applicable.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERPVIRT

The search goes on......
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Cruisin'

As for my original plan to mount the Mediagate in the top compartment underneath the headunit, that fell through as stated in an earlier post. Here are the reasons why:

It is difficult to move the original cig adapter/power outlet anywhere since it is connected as a single piece of plastic to the lower compartment.

The Mediagate sits right against the edge, so making a cut out should allow more room for it right?

Nope! There is a metal bar that I believe the top compartment either sits on or wedges against when it is mounted.

Therefore, even with a cut-out for the Mediagate, any extra room is dependent on where that metal bar comes into contact with the top storage compartment.

Questions/Comments?

I did my install over the weekend and wanted to let you guys know that the bar doesnt rest against the compartment its a littlle higher so if you make a cut out you can install the media gate in the top compartment and not worry about having to find an ir sensor.

for power i installed an extra cig adapter from radio shack, and left it underneath the the right side of the compartment so the original cig location stays and the extra one is still accessible from the right console panel if i ever need to get to it.

sorry i didnt take pics...........
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Malayalee King, nice install there! That doesn't look like the center console of the 3G TL. Where did you install the AVOX?
hehe yeah its a 2G console

i'm going to keep avox where it is. i am 2 wires from throwing that thing back in -- IR and power. I've got an inverter but it would annoy me way too much to have to turn it on everysingle time i wanted to use anything powered to it so i'm still working on a relay for it to turn on when i turn the car on without an extra switch.

No luck using an infrared mouse.

The search goes on......
Worst case scenario, I'm going to desolder the receiver eye on there now, put in pins, use the twisted pair in cat5, crimp them to a connector and extend it out to the case to a female pin 3 pin connector and reverse the process on the outside lol.

where teh junks is my desoldering tool...
Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Advanced

......i'm still working on a relay for it to turn on when i turn the car on without an extra switch.
Definitely keep us posted on that, I would be very interested in doing that as well. Maybe the same relay could acknowledge the "OK" button on the NAVI?

Worst case scenario, I'm going to desolder the receiver eye on there now, put in pins, use the twisted pair in cat5, crimp them to a connector and extend it out to the case to a female pin 3 pin connector and reverse the process on the outside lol.

where teh junks is my desoldering tool...
Thats a good idea you have there. That wont work for me though as I still like to bring mine in and hook it up to the TV. I am addicted to LOST and I have a bunch of the episodes loaded on it now.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

do we have any groupbuy for this?

I want to buy MG-35 for the home.. but not sure where I can do a group buy
Old 07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by convenientstore
do we have any groupbuy for this?

I want to buy MG-35 for the home.. but not sure where I can do a group buy

I dont think there is one, at least not on the AZ forums. Try the search feature for "mediagate groupbuy". Hope you find something!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Well I just ordered the one I posted a LINK to earlier in this thread.

I really hope it works. They killed me on shipping there. $9 for the cheapest shipping solution.

I figure if it doesnt work at first I will try to swap the red and white wires like crook did. I guess I will really be SOL if that doesnt work either. I also hope its not a sub mini plug so I dont have to put the 3/32 to 1/8 adapter on it. Im limited on room in the back of the AVOX unit.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Trucki!!

I really hope it works. They killed me on shipping there. $9 for the cheapest shipping solution.
Killed I don't think so......check out what AlTech quoted me to buy and ship their car charger to me........
Old 07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Thread Necromancer

WTF!

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P