My iPhone 3G Integrations Setup - LOTS OF PICS and EVEN ViDEOS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
you lose NavTraffic if you get the PIE X3
So this is confirmed Phil?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 518 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
So this is confirmed Phil?
Grrrr. I can't find where I read that, but apparently with that HON03 harness it uses, it doesn't pass the 'data' signal through which is used for navtraffic.

for an 07-08 here's my setup thread: Link. I currently don't have video setup, but it will be easy to add.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice and thanks for sharing...now, how do i get you to do mine? =]
Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by HyperVTEC
Very nice and thanks for sharing...now, how do i get you to do mine? =]
Haha.. I've done it for a few people so far, but its all dependent on time and location for me.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Me!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your set up relay Digital audio or is it analog still?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by koshia
Does your set up relay Digital audio or is it analog still?
Analog
Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Mine is Digital because I'm not using the Aux In jack like Phil is, I have mine connected directly to the radio using a PIE X3 module. The 07+ guys will have to wait till iSimple releases a new harness to accomodate the xm nav traffic and you guys can do the same. However, with the isimple you will not be able to get video.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha.. I've done it for a few people so far, but its all dependent on time and location for me.
It's all good. I might hit you up next time I am in NY. We usually just go to jackson heights and eat, lol! Got the new usa spec hon2 the other day and hopefully the weather will be good tomorrow so I can install it. Btw, was the door sills hard to install?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Me!

Mine is Digital because I'm not using the Aux In jack like Phil is, I have mine connected directly to the radio using a PIE X3 module. The 07+ guys will have to wait till iSimple releases a new harness to accomodate the xm nav traffic and you guys can do the same. However, with the isimple you will not be able to get video.
Guess i'll have wait on that new harness

Damn, that sucks. Oh well, can't have it all, but I rather have the digital sound quality over the video any day though .

Thanks for the information ETS !
Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
niceeeeeeeee setup/................ my girl goes to St.Johns
Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

I might be wrong on this, but I thought the back of the head unit only accepted analog audio inputs. I thought the sound from the xm unit was converted in the xml box into analog, and sent to the head unit that way. Usually the hint for Analog vs digital is having a left and right seperat wire. Digital can usually cram both signals through a wire. [ex coaxial audio or optical or hdmi]
My understanding was that, using the Aux jack or the PIE x3, you get the audio from the base of the iPod, which is un altered by the iPod's amplifier, but it is analog, not digital. I also looked around the internet, and I don't think the iPod natively comes with digital outputs, all analog.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Advanced

does the proclip work with iphone's with a case on?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading this post cost me $500, haha. Just ordered the Proclip and the cables for my 2G Touch. Waiting on the next NavTool Group Buy to get the final piece. Love this setup, nice work and thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by padway
does the proclip work with iphone's with a case on?
The adjustable mount is made to fit with the case on. Not sure about the difference in price for the iPhone, but for the Touch it was $100 for the standard tilt/swivel holder and $110 for the adjustable tilt/swivel holder. The price includes your choice of mount.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:03 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by whizzups
Reading this post cost me $500, haha. Just ordered the Proclip and the cables for my 2G Touch. Waiting on the next NavTool Group Buy to get the final piece. Love this setup, nice work and thank you for sharing.
Glad I got you to waste $500. LMAO .. The Devil is not the post.. the Devil is below!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Where to buy Dom's Nav converter?

Great stuff. Where can I buy this converter and how much does it go for?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

nice dude...what would i need if i wanted to add a rear camera to my 05 and also the same setup...ps my navi isnt working either...it says please check disk after my accident...do u know how i can figure out the problem b4 i do this setup?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Great set-up
I need to see this in person. I am in VA but I go visit my uncle in West Hemsptead NY I think is not far from were you live Elegant Type S.
Great job
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear

hi
in harness one part go in PIE X3 but where second part going. pls tell me
Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

hi i have acura tl 2006 and i fix everything but problem
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
'08 TL w/Navi

Elegant TYPE S - thanks for this informative post! Based on your expertise from reading all the inputs you gave to this already well put post, can I plz ask you:

What / How would you perform similar integration for iPhone 3GS and 2008 Acura TL (w/Nav and freakin DICE installed, which I admit is great but I'm like you - I'd rather utilize awesome iPhone's iPod touch screen instead).

Obviously, I'd like the video feature and I'd like the audio to still be digital (and not analog) along with the ProClip.

I know its lot to ask but if you could list exact parts/products, so I can hunt them down precisely... so, those handy BestBuy guys can and get it installed Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear

DOM = $100
Dom's Nav Converter did u saling or no
Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM
DCP
Advanced

Elegant nice setup, I plan on doing the same soon, but have a question regarding the proclip. When you have a passenger, does the proclip get in the way? In other words, does your passenger accidently hit/bump the proclip with their legs? The reason I ask is because i'm afraid that the unit might break off if someone with long legs hits or bumps the proclip. Pls let me know so I can start on this project. Thanx!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

What do you charge?

OK, this is above my head except for the fact that I know I really would like this done. I have a 2005 TL. In the DC area. Has anyone local done this?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 PM
7th Gear

First of thank you Elegant for the pics, it really helped me confirm i received the right pieces and steer me in the right direction on doing what many of us would like to do to their TL.

Im almost done and just waiting for the dom when i encountered this..... Where does the red wire from the X3 wire harness go?

In the pic i can see it go behind the stereo console somewhere but where does it connect and to what?

The label on the package reads: Red Wire (to switched 12 volts) where is this power source? i dont want to be ghetto and connect it to the battery with a switch. I do understand from the pictures that there will be a switch from the dom in order to switch screens, can you post a pic of where you placed that switch as well? Any help would really be appreciated

one more: i am to understand that the pie will basically middle man itself in between the satellite wire harness and the back of the Head unit correct?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
7th Gear

newb here, but one question on this: do rca left and right channels deliver digital quality as well?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the PIE X3 takes analog inputs, so using the RCA into the 3.5mm jack doesn't really change anything. The only thing that you 'can' introduce i guess is alternator whine with using the 3.5mm input. I personally don't have it if a device is plugged in. Only if my apple connector is disconnected and the radio is on AUX input. As soon as i plug in a device (without playing audio) a ground loop seems to be created and no more buzzing..
Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
8th Gear

Wow. Sophisticated! I wonder if there is something out there for the Droid...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 AM
6th Gear

The proclip dock is totally optional and I don't even want to talk about the price I paid. LoL

I have to say, this is simply the most amazing install I've seen. This custom dock is by far the most impressive part of the whole thing. Makes it completely OEM looking.

Like you, I really want an OEM setup. I really don't care about the price. I talked to one of the engineers at ProClip and he said they know all about your photos of your setup, but don't know who did that for you. Did you do it yourself? If not, any chance you can share/PM me who you used to have that done?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by melvin2816
Great set-up
I need to see this in person. I am in VA but I go visit my uncle in West Hemsptead NY I think is not far from were you live Elegant Type S.
Great job
Not a problem... just hit me up... we can make it happen.

Originally Posted by donofvanesa
hi
The PIE X3 connects to the back of the head unit, into the XM port. You have to detach the XM connector you have plugged in right now and plug the PIE X3 in its place instead. However the XM cable that you removed gets connected to the PIE X3 in a piggy back fashion.

Originally Posted by Tapori
Elegant TYPE S - thanks for this informative post! Based on your expertise from reading all the inputs you gave to this already well put post, can I plz ask you:

What / How would you perform similar integration for iPhone 3GS and 2008 Acura TL (w/Nav and freakin DICE installed, which I admit is great but I'm like you - I'd rather utilize awesome iPhone's iPod touch screen instead).

Obviously, I'd like the video feature and I'd like the audio to still be digital (and not analog) along with the ProClip.

I know its lot to ask but if you could list exact parts/products, so I can hunt them down precisely... so, those handy BestBuy guys can and get it installed Thanks in advance!
For you to do it with the DICE I need to know, if your DICE unit accepts AuX inputs, which I'm sure it does, but you would need to confirm it. If it does, then all you will need is the Pro Clip setup and the Apple AV Cable. Make sure to purchase OEM Apple and not eBay stuff, because they have a special chip in there that will give you an error message. i know because I've tried.

Originally Posted by DCP
Elegant nice setup, I plan on doing the same soon, but have a question regarding the proclip. When you have a passenger, does the proclip get in the way? In other words, does your passenger accidently hit/bump the proclip with their legs? The reason I ask is because i'm afraid that the unit might break off if someone with long legs hits or bumps the proclip. Pls let me know so I can start on this project. Thanx!
LMAO... how fat are your passengers? The answer is no.

Originally Posted by 05 LORD-AKIRA
First of thank you Elegant for the pics, it really helped me confirm i received the right pieces and steer me in the right direction on doing what many of us would like to do to their TL.

Im almost done and just waiting for the dom when i encountered this..... Where does the red wire from the X3 wire harness go?

In the pic i can see it go behind the stereo console somewhere but where does it connect and to what?

The label on the package reads: Red Wire (to switched 12 volts) where is this power source? i dont want to be ghetto and connect it to the battery with a switch. I do understand from the pictures that there will be a switch from the dom in order to switch screens, can you post a pic of where you placed that switch as well? Any help would really be appreciated

one more: i am to understand that the pie will basically middle man itself in between the satellite wire harness and the back of the Head unit correct?
So as I mentioned prior, the adapter gets connected to the back of the HU in the XM port and the XM cable gets piggy backed. The 12 volt connection gets connected to the fuse panel by the driver kick panel to the Radio Acc fuse, so that it only turn on when the radio is on. To do this u can buy a 5 dollar add a fuse and wire it up. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the PIE X3 takes analog inputs, so using the RCA into the 3.5mm jack doesn't really change anything. The only thing that you 'can' introduce i guess is alternator whine with using the 3.5mm input. I personally don't have it if a device is plugged in. Only if my apple connector is disconnected and the radio is on AUX input. As soon as i plug in a device (without playing audio) a ground loop seems to be created and no more buzzing..
Yes, if you are going from the RCA jacks to headphone jack you are correct. But the way I've wired it up and the way I recommend wiring it up, is to use the Dock Connector output so that it is stereo sound being outputted by the iPhone.

Guys I'm sorry I didnt realize you guys were still asking questions... I don't have much time to come on azine anymore, but I'll try my best.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by zimmy6996
I have to say, this is simply the most amazing install I've seen. This custom dock is by far the most impressive part of the whole thing. Makes it completely OEM looking.

Like you, I really want an OEM setup. I really don't care about the price. I talked to one of the engineers at ProClip and he said they know all about your photos of your setup, but don't know who did that for you. Did you do it yourself? If not, any chance you can share/PM me who you used to have that done?
This is funny.. I should give them a call. LMAO
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, if you are going from the RCA jacks to headphone jack you are correct. But the way I've wired it up and the way I recommend wiring it up, is to use the Dock Connector output so that it is stereo sound being outputted by the iPhone.
I didn't express myself correctly. If you hookup the iPod or iPhone with the dock connector at the bottom, all you're doing is skipping the build in amp of the device (either iPhone or iPod) but the signal will be analog (atleast that's the case with using the apple cable/connectors i used, which are the same you used with your PIE X3 setup).
A quick way to check, is to hookup the dock connector to your iPod, and if you have an rca to 3.5mm cable converter, and then plug that into some pc speakers or something. If you hear music (could be pretty quiet) it's analog, if you can hear some stuff but it's definitly not music, the signal is digital.
Also, if I remember correctly, the HON harness connects between the xm radio converter, which takes the satellite signal, converts to analog audio, and then goes to the headunit for amplification.
further more, if the signal really was digital, you wouldn't need seperate left and right channels, the digital processor would split that accordingly. Such is the case for my sound system at home, from my dvd player to home theater, i have 1 single coax cable connecting them. It's digital, so no need for seperate left, right, front, or back.

p.s. no i don't use the 3.5mm out of the iPhone or iPod, i use the dock connector
Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ You maybe right Phil.. I am not aware of this. So have you been able to accomplish stereo sound out of the iPhone and if so .. please share.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well stereo sound you achieve with the dock connector no problem (2 rca outs) but not digital outputs. There are companies where you can send your iPod to get modified to output digital audio, one is MSB which costs $199 for the mod, or 2k for an ipod already modded, and a base that taps into that modified output. I assume they don't just convert the current outputs because your ipod would then be incompatible with every dock available now. But if you mod your iPod, you'l need an external DAC to conver the outputed digital signal into Analog, so you can use it in your car. I don't think the car has any digital transfers between devices [cd player to amp, or xm to amp]. So you'd need to crack open the cd player tap in there somehow, let it do the Digital to Analog conversion, then output to the amp. However, i think an external aftermarket DAC would give you far better performance than the cd option [if that's even fesable].

btw, congratz on the really popular thread ...
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
6th Gear

This is funny.. I should give them a call. LMAO

LOL! So I take that as a "NO" you won't share your source!

Actually the proclip I installed was the adjustable one since I have Speck candy shell on my iPhone, so it doesn't have the carpeted/felt look to it. There is a ProClip sticker at the center on the bottom which I have removed. I actually ordered white letter tape for my P-Touch 2500pc printer today, and have downloaded the Acura font, so I am confident that I'll be able to make a pretty darn good looking OEM dock here by tomorrow. I'll snap some photos once I do it.

BTW - Hello everyone. I just got my 2007 TL this past weekend. 25K miles on it, looks in mint condition ... So I'll be joining you folks for the ride now as I get involved in pimping out my TL.

Thanks for all the wonderful info Elegant, and everyone here for that matter!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
6th Gear

SIDE NOTE ON MY INSTALLATION

I am using the OEM Apple cable and running in to the 3.5" jack in the glove box. When I have no phone connected, I definitely get ALT wind in the audio. When I am not on AUX, and on Radio, CD, XM, or Hands Free, I can definitely still hear it. It is very weak but definitely still there.

I am going to try to install one of those ground isolators from Radio Shack and see if it makes a difference. I don't want to always have to make sure my iPhone is plugged in to stop the wind sound.

Anyone have any better thoughts on how to accomplish this?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zimmy6996
SIDE NOTE ON MY INSTALLATION

I am using the OEM Apple cable and running in to the 3.5" jack in the glove box. When I have no phone connected, I definitely get ALT wind in the audio. When I am not on AUX, and on Radio, CD, XM, or Hands Free, I can definitely still hear it. It is very weak but definitely still there.

I am going to try to install one of those ground isolators from Radio Shack and see if it makes a difference. I don't want to always have to make sure my iPhone is plugged in to stop the wind sound.

Anyone have any better thoughts on how to accomplish this?
Hey man, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you saw my thread down in my sig regarding my version of Elegant TypeS's install. But I too have noticed that if no divice is hooked up I get some buzzing. I didn't however notice it when i'm not in AUX [i'm not saying it doesn't exist, just saying i didnt notice].
For me though, I always have an iPod connected. I bought a ground loop insulator, but ended up not using it.
Do you have a video hookup too? I wonder why there is feedback only when a device is not hooked up.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
'08 TL w/Navi

For you to do it with the DICE I need to know, if your DICE unit accepts AuX inputs, which I'm sure it does, but you would need to confirm it. If it does, then all you will need is the Pro Clip setup and the Apple AV Cable. Make sure to purchase OEM Apple and not eBay stuff, because they have a special chip in there that will give you an error message. i know because I've tried.
Yeah, but what about for Video? COuld you list all the parts and sources?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Elegant -
Great install, honestly have to give you props for such a cleam oem looking setup. I am new to AZ and I am looking to do the same setup with my 05 TL with navi. I have read this, and most of the posts about the tvandnav2go install, along with the pie X3 install and i have a few additional questions for you...But first, you should know I havent really ever worked with any electrical stuff on my car before so try to keep it elementry (sorry in advance)

1) what do you mean by ground loop when it comes to the red wire comming from the tvandnav2go, that is snaked to the driver side footwell? Where do I connect it to?
2) in regards to snaking the wires from the trunk to the passenger side dash - is that difficult to do? Any suggestions to make it easier?
3) In order to hook up the PIE X3 - how much of the dash needs to be dismantled inorder to hook the wiring harness upto the back of the xm connection, just like you mentioned you did..
4) WHat happens with the blue wire that comes from the tvandnav2go unit that is ment for a back up camera - seeing as I dont plan on installing a back up camera, I am at a loss as to where it goes.
5) How do you suggest I supply power to the tvandnav2go? Is splicing into the cigerette lighter in the center console the only way to go? If so, how do I even go about splicing the wire and adding length to it?

Lastly, the most extensive work I have ever done to my car is installing fog lights haha. With that being said, I would hate to pay someone 500 or so dollars to do this install for me...but - at the same time I want my car to still function when I am through with it! What are any pointers you could give me? Do you suggest I have someone else do any part of the install for me - maybe the tvandnav2go part of the install, or the pie x3 part of the install? I was even thinking about seeing if we could set something up so I could get you to help me with it directly (I am from the philadelphia area) Sorry for the long post... Since I am new to AZ I cant send messeges yet, but feel free to shoot me an answer at cicacci2190@yahoo.com is that is easier for you instead..
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
6th Gear

I am trying to get my account boosted here enough so that I could ask you some questions but I just bought an '07 TL and I have an iPhone and I am interested in getting that ProClip but when I went to go order it I don't see where I pick for it to read ACURA across the base. Is that something that you did custom?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TotallyLegit07
I am trying to get my account boosted here enough so that I could ask you some questions but I just bought an '07 TL and I have an iPhone and I am interested in getting that ProClip but when I went to go order it I don't see where I pick for it to read ACURA across the base. Is that something that you did custom?
He mentioned earlier in the post that he customized the base. I just puchased the pass through adjustable proclip mount for my 05 Acura. I can tell you from just having it for a week or so that it is the best holder you can get. Also, I suggest you get the griffin cigertte charger - which allows you to use any house iPhone charger in your car. This way you can snake the cord from the mount, through the emergency brake area into your center console so you can plug it into the griffin charger. The setup is as close to oem as you cab get it!!

Quick Reply: My iPhone 3G Integrations Setup - LOTS OF PICS and EVEN ViDEOS!