Mounting Locations for PIE X3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Mounting Locations for PIE X3

I'm trying to get down to the details before I start my install this week and came across many pages on the PIE X3.

Many members are mounting the brain unit (the one where the RCA connections are made) somewhere behind the dash near the driver's side foot well. A few have placed it behind the glovebox.

I was planning to install it in the center storage console before I realized that the X3 Honda harness is too short to reach there.

As for the switchbox selector, I have seen it below the VSA switch, under the headunit in one of the compartments, and hidden in the top tray of the center storage bin.

I am trying to figure out a good location for the brain such that I will be able to add/change RCA connections without taking apart the center console. As for the selector, I know I won't be switching sources often, so somewhere thats easy to mount would be best.

SO, for all the members with the PIE X3:
  1. Where did you mount the brain?
  2. Where did you mount the selector?
  3. Pros and cons of the location (tapping to 12V power, overall convenience, difficulty of install)?

Comments and suggestions please!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm going to try and finish mine this weekend too. I want to try and copy DCC & put the changer in the tray. I bought a piece of that ABS plastic and want to mount the IR sensors next to it as well. I will have two remotes. One for my DVD changer and one for the Jensen video switch I bought. I'll also probably try and mount the rest of it behind the glove box. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I think I might be missing something here. By mounting the PIE X3 brain behind the glovebox, wouldn't you need to remove the glovebox to add/remove RCA audio connections? Is this correct? Unless the opening in the passenger footwell is large enough to reach up and change connections, I don't think I will be going this route.

I'm looking at mounting the brain in the driver side footwell. A little hidden, but accessible.

Good luck with your install! Mine goes in tomorrow!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
I think I might be missing something here. By mounting the PIE X3 brain behind the glovebox, wouldn't you need to remove the glovebox to add/remove RCA audio connections? Is this correct? Unless the opening in the passenger footwell is large enough to reach up and change connections, I don't think I will be going this route.

I'm looking at mounting the brain in the driver side footwell. A little hidden, but accessible.

Good luck with your install! Mine goes in tomorrow!
I second the idea on DCC's in the ash tray. Awesome location. And you don't have to worry about people trying to light up i the back.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
05 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the pie x3 unit installed in my car...

i also have the carputer installed so i had to move the stock lcd to the bottom portion where the stock two compartments were and actually put the pie selector box right under the lcd screen...looks great IMO

looks like this

ohh and the pie unit i stuck behind the ac vents! right there in the middle!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
DATMRMAN,

you've seen where I installed the pie brain...yes it does require removal of the glove box to add/remove inputs. You could install the brain over what I think is the abs control unit. There's a nice space down there. To access, remove the driver kick panel from the center console and pull the carpet away. You can velcro it there and you'd have plenty of access. Plus the honda cable will reach to the xm plug. Otherwise, if you mount behind the glove box, you could just attach rca's and mount those in a convenient location instead of always accessing the box.