Motorola v551 vs SE T637

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorola v551 vs SE T637

I just replaced T637 with v551 and wanted to share my experiences.

I got the T637 only about 2 months ago with new AT&T Wireless GSM service. It's a decent phone but it does have a number of significant enough flaws that forced me to pay $75 to get a new v551. Here are some of them:

1. Terrible battery life! I'm only in my TL a total of 20 minutes a day so it can't be the Bluetooth connection dragging it down. That is unless the phone consumes too much juice just having Bluetooth turned on. Regardless, two days of standby with barely any talk during these two days is NOT acceptable for a GSM phone.

2. Candy bar form factor is not what I like. You can only have it on your belt, if you get a horizontal leather pouch (which I did), which looks stupid and is inconvenient.

3. Low sound volume coming through the ear speaker, when not using any handsfree devices. Plus, this phone has a tiny "sweet spot": you have to hold it against your ear just right in order to hear anything. Shift it half an inch and you hear NOTHING.

4. Pretty bad user interface compared to Nokia and even Motorola phones.

5. Lack of speakerphone.

6. Bluetooth crackling.

The plus of this phone is that it give you battery meter on the MID. The other plus is that it has better RF reception than v551.

On the other hand the v551 has 4-5 days battery life, has great form factor, interface, sound volume from ear speaker, shows no sign of Bluetooth crackling or any other sound distortion. All in all it's been a perfect phone in the two weeks I've had it so far.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Hi Modeler,
I just got my Motorola V551 as well. I'm having a hard time pairing my phone. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tlmom
Hi Modeler,
I just got my Motorola V551 as well. I'm having a hard time pairing my phone. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.
I had trouble too at first, until I read the HFL instructions again. When you get to the stage in the setup where you have defined the PIN and TL goes into a search mode, you need to to Settings/Connection/Bluetooth/Handsfree menu on the phone and choose Look for Devices command. It's then going to tell you that it found HandsFreeLink.

Good luck.