Motorola to release new v710 firmware that may solve our issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorola to release new v710 firmware that may solve our issues

It sounds like Motorola will be releasing a new firmware version for the v710 that should solve the problems with the v710 not passing battery and signal strength info to the TL. Here is a link to the article on HoFo:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=425371

And here is an excerpt:

---
I talked to Motorola software support this morning. Sorry if this is duplicate information...

The v710 currently does not support data transfer. There is no OPP - Object Push Profile - available on the handset. Motorola is releasing a software update for the v710 on 8/16, which will fix bugs related to BT headset and Acura/BMW car kit functionality. The rep told me that they are currently deciding whether to include OPP in the 8/16 software update. He told me to call back on 8/13, because at that point they'll know what the software update will include.
---

So perhaps BJ, Curtis, and the ice-cream truck don't need to mobilize just yet.
Andy W.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good find, Andy! Thanks, rep points given. Now if RS replaces my phone, all will be right with the world.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Instructor

When a new firmware version is released for a phone...how do the present owners get their phones updated?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TZVECL
When a new firmware version is released for a phone...how do the present owners get their phones updated?

Thanks!
With Verizon the customer just brings the phone in, and the techs upgrade the software. It just takes a couple of minutes. My only experience is with Verizon, but I expect the procedure is similar with other carriers.
Andy W.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Andyw2100
It sounds like Motorola will be releasing a new firmware version for the v710 that should solve the problems with the v710 not passing battery and signal strength info to the TL. Here is a link to the article on HoFo:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=425371

And here is an excerpt:

---
I talked to Motorola software support this morning. Sorry if this is duplicate information...

The v710 currently does not support data transfer. There is no OPP - Object Push Profile - available on the handset. Motorola is releasing a software update for the v710 on 8/16, which will fix bugs related to BT headset and Acura/BMW car kit functionality. The rep told me that they are currently deciding whether to include OPP in the 8/16 software update. He told me to call back on 8/13, because at that point they'll know what the software update will include.
---

So perhaps BJ, Curtis, and the ice-cream truck don't need to mobilize just yet.
Andy W.
Woo hoo!

Kitty is so excited about the news that she wants to meet you for some 'intimate' object pushing

If you can get the v710 to talk to the TL nicely, she's all yours. I'll even wash the ice cream truck too.

BJ
Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Is this awesome!! I can't wait.. When I started reading I almost wanted to take my phone back to RS, but it looks like verizon will flash our currect phones when they have them in stock.. Have to say this just made my day..
Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 PM
5th Gear

For my LG phone, I just enter *228 to upgrade the software/firware now (it only takes a couple of minutes, but i think it only has to do with recognizing cell towers). Something the VZW people told me to do every month of so.

To upgrade the firmware on the v710 do I need to only dial *228 or does something else have to be done? Also, do we need to go to a VZ store to get a firmware upgrade each time one is released?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by mgriffin128
For my LG phone, I just enter *228 to upgrade the software/firware now (it only takes a couple of minutes, but i think it only has to do with recognizing cell towers). Something the VZW people told me to do every month of so.

To upgrade the firmware on the v710 do I need to only dial *228 or does something else have to be done? Also, do we need to go to a VZ store to get a firmware upgrade each time one is released?
Yeah, the *228 is to update your PRL (preferred roaming list) and should be done monthly and only in your home area.

Something of the magnitude of a firmware flash like this will have to be done in person by your local VZ store.

BJ
Old 08-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mgriffin128
You will have to visit a VZ store everytime you want the firmware to be applied.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently Alltel also has the V710 available. Anyone heard of any issues with the Toyota Prius and this phone?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CPanther95
Apparently Alltel also has the V710 available. Anyone heard of any issues with the Toyota Prius and this phone?

I don't see the V710 on the Alltel website yet, is it in the Alltel stores or where did you get the info? I have Alltel and they seem to have the best coverage for me but don't have any bluetooth phones yet.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by CPanther95
I was on HoFo earlier and someone with a Prius said that what is displayed on the Prius is exactly the same as on the TL. What's displayed is likely a limitation of the phone.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I was on HoFo earlier and someone with a Prius said that what is displayed on the Prius is exactly the same as on the TL. What's displayed is likely a limitation of the phone.
Definitely a limitation of the phone. The V710 isn't sending all the information it can to the HFL system. The TL's HFL system supports it, as my S/E 610 worked fine.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

What's the status of Firmware upgrade

I think I read on these pages that a firmware upgrade to fix all TL v710 problems was due last week. Did it happen?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not yet.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Not yet.
First week of November has been told to me by Verizon and Moto CS reps. While likely not accurate, at least its consistent.

BJ
Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
First week of November has been told to me by Verizon and Moto CS reps. While likely not accurate, at least its consistent.

BJ
Hate it that you just can't ever get a straight answer from Verizon or Moto on anything. I emailed Moto concerning a firmware update, here is the reply for what it is worth.

Regarding your question, I apologize for the inconveniences. For the moment there are no new firmware for the V710. When these are ready to be released they will be announced by Verizon the carrier of the V710.

For further assistance please contact our Software Support division at 1-877-331-6456 directly at ext. 2237. Our operation hours are from 8 am to 7 pm CST.

Sincerely,

Frank
Motorola Internet Correspondence Team
Old 12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by georgeny
Hate it that you just can't ever get a straight answer from Verizon or Moto on anything. I emailed Moto concerning a firmware update, here is the reply for what it is worth.

Regarding your question, I apologize for the inconveniences. For the moment there are no new firmware for the V710. When these are ready to be released they will be announced by Verizon the carrier of the V710.

For further assistance please contact our Software Support division at 1-877-331-6456 directly at ext. 2237. Our operation hours are from 8 am to 7 pm CST.

Sincerely,

Frank
Motorola Internet Correspondence Team
I just called this number and was told firmware is just about ready to be released the middle of December - beginning of January.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
August, September, October, November, December, now maybe January ?!?!?!

And we thought pinning down a phone release date was hard
Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

It's out already in Texas, so it's coming soon to a Verizon store near you.

Or, you could be adventurous (like me) and use the new Verizon version that's been slightly modified by Superdave over at the Howard Forums. It's great.....

BJ
Old 12-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Once the phone is updated, do you have to re-link or will the changes automatically be recognized by HFL?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Quick question to anyone: If I go to a Verizon store today to get the V710 will the new phone have all the updates regarding battery and signal strength??
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:36 AM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by MSF2
Quick question to anyone: If I go to a Verizon store today to get the V710 will the new phone have all the updates regarding battery and signal strength??
Thanks!
I am interested in this myself as I would like to purchase one.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
It's out already in Texas, so it's coming soon to a Verizon store near you.

Or, you could be adventurous (like me) and use the new Verizon version that's been slightly modified by Superdave over at the Howard Forums. It's great.....

BJ
Really? That's interesting because I went to 2 Verizon stores yesterday after being told they had the update. Their tech dept. both told me that no - not available yet. Don't know when it will be. Motorola will notifiy them about a day or so before it's released and when it is, all Verizon stores will have it.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:50 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Once the phone is updated, do you have to re-link or will the changes automatically be recognized by HFL?
You should not have to re-link it. It should still work after the update.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:23 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It works just fine after the update. No relinking necessary. Signal strength and battery indicators simply start working, as does the ability to use pauses through the HFL when dialing (which resets the phone on the old firmware).

New phones you get in Verizon stores will still have the old firmware... for now. I'm sure that will change, but it will likely take a couple months. the firmware flash itself isn't even available in all areas. Right now, it sounds like it's limited to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just came back from a verizon store asking them the same question...they said that the firmware scripting is in its BETA testing stage and they said that they will release the new firmware within the next 2 months....im excited....its the little things in life that matter :-p
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Instructor

I've heard that the firmware update disables some of the abilities of the trans flash card, like the ability to transfer ring tones.....leave it to Verizon!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

actually...that was part of the superdave firmware update...i think that its different with the upcomming verizon update...i mean if you pay so much money for a phone...and then for a transflash card....and not be able to use it? i think thats pretty messsed up...
Old 12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Hey,
Actually he is right. Verizon did disable transfer of the ringtones off the card. However with the superdave fix you can once again transfer. I have the superdave software on my phone and it works perfectly. It is a dumb move for verizon do do this but thats verizon. They want you to pay for your ringtones. The only positive thing to come out of the new verizon software is the camera is better.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 00accordtyper
The only positive thing to come out of the new verizon software is the camera is better.
I don't think I'd go that far. The Verizon update fixes the two major problems we Acura owners have had from the beginning: The lack of signal and battery indicators on the MID and the inability to send pauses through the HFL. (Of course, there's still the inability to synchronize phonebooks, but we're not talking about what ISN'T fixed here.)

I also like how the exterior LCD doesn't QUITE turn off when charging anymore. I got sick of having to open the flip to see if the phone was fully charged yet. Judging from the threads I've seen regarding this update, there were quite a few bugfixes too.

Remember, the SuperDave version added NOTHING that wasn't in the ORIGINAL firmware (well, other than a couple new graphics). He simply reenabled features that Verizon turned off for this new update. ALL of the improvements and enhancements over the original firmware came from the Verizon update.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

well also....i would have to say...verizon probably has one of the best services with free nights and weekends...and free long distance...etc....i barely use any of my day time minutes...only when i really need too...but on the other hand they have the shittiest phones you can buy...but the reasoning for this is because verizon tests all of their phones for 2 years minimum to try and work out all of the bugs and things of that sort thats why the RAZR isn't coming out till next year...but the V710 i was very disappointed with..the only reason for me getting it was the bluetooth and im kidna thinking it wasn't worth the money i paid for it because i would have rather gotten a crappy phone for free and then bought something better when bluetooth was in its prime....but verizon does get you on almost everything...with their get it now and the games and programs with the ringtones..they get u on almost everything...
Old 12-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
well also....i would have to say...verizon probably has one of the best services with free nights and weekends...and free long distance...etc....i barely use any of my day time minutes...only when i really need too...but on the other hand they have the shittiest phones you can buy...but the reasoning for this is because verizon tests all of their phones for 2 years minimum to try and work out all of the bugs and things of that sort thats why the RAZR isn't coming out till next year...but the V710 i was very disappointed with..the only reason for me getting it was the bluetooth and im kidna thinking it wasn't worth the money i paid for it because i would have rather gotten a crappy phone for free and then bought something better when bluetooth was in its prime....but verizon does get you on almost everything...with their get it now and the games and programs with the ringtones..they get u on almost everything...
Well I went with the Verizon V710 because I was able to get the phone for FREE! (after mail in rebates).
Old 12-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

bah...humbug....what kind of contract did you sign?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Racer

bah...humbug....what kind of contract did you sign?

1 Yr contract and went with the American Plan - $40/Month.

P.S. Someone expressed concern with the rebates. I paid $300 (which is exactly what Verizon is offering for 1 yr contract) and have 2 $150 mail-in rebates to do. Even if for some reason something goes wrong with them, I still paid the same amount.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

i paid 169 for my v710 and a 50 dollar mail in rebate. final cost $119 (w/ a 2 year contract)
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

blah!!!! THATS NOT COOL! i paid like 300 with a 100 dollar mail in rebate and like a 20% discount...thats crap! :-\
Old 12-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Racer

blah!!!! THATS NOT COOL! i paid like 300 with a 100 dollar mail in rebate and like a 20% discount...thats crap! :-\

1 or 2 yr contract??
Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
8th Gear

I hope its ok to drop website names. I was on buy.com last nite and they have the 710 for free with contract. I searched all over trying to find out if it is 1 or 2yr but I doesn't say. Deal is good through the 31st.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Superdave firmware rocks! I flashed my phone and it works great. I can now see my signal strength and battery meter in the MID.

Quick Reply: Motorola to release new v710 firmware that may solve our issues