Moto V710 for your TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:52 AM
What's a TL?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moto V710 for your TL

I'm sure the mods are going to move this, but I thought this was the best place to start this post...

For those of us waiting for a Verizon Bluetooth phone, the following link actually gives an official release time for the Motorola V710... http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040720/cgtu033_1.html
Old 07-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Racer

IS this real?? Very hard to believe anything on this damn phone now..........but if its real
Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Shift_faster

This Motorola has made me so cynical to product announcements. Hopefully it is coming in August. My verizon dealer still has no idea what is going on.

The price at the bottom states $249 WITH a rebate and a TWO year contract. I guess I'm screwed either way...
Old 07-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Racer

I agree DopeTL04, but this article looks real. Hope the stores stock plenty of them, I don't want to go on a waiting list for the phone too, *L*.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Here is more info on the release.
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...786_23,00.html
Old 07-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I waited long enough for the 710... I went with Cingular and a T637 and couldn't be happier... especially since after rebates, I received $50 back on the purchase.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Halleluja!!! It's about time! I just hope they've got enough to go around. This is obviously for real THIS time!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh Happy Day
Old 07-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Just when I was all set to get a Moto V80 and switch to AT&T Good news, because I really didn't want to switch from Verizon. I'm doing the happy dance.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Racer

I emailed Verizon to get status on the V710 and this was there response..........

We appreciate your interest in the Motorola v710 wireless phone, and we
would be happy to assist you.

At this time, Verizon Wireless does not support the Motorola v710. We
are always testing new products to ensure that we offer the latest
technology. Currently, there are no plans or timeframe availability for the
Motorola v710 on the Verizon Wireless network. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause you.

You may wish to consider another one of our Motorola handsets, such as
the v60s or Motorola C343. To view a complete listing of current
Motorola wireless phones that are available on the Verizon Wireless network,
please click on the following link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/p...tion=EQUIPMENT.

We encourage you to receive these notifications if there is a product
we may not currently offer. Also, we suggest periodically visiting
www.verizonwireless.com to view the latest additions to our product line.
To view currently offered equipment, please choose the "Products" icon
located at the top of our home page and then choose "Phones" from the
dropdown menu.

Please remember, as part of our Worry Free Guarantee if you ever have a
problem, it becomes our problem the first time you contact us. Feel
free to contact us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any
further questions.

Sincerely,

Moe
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

"We never stop working for you!"

So its very confusing on who to believe. If this is coming out, why the hell are Verizon Reps so clueless!!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by DopeTL04

So its very confusing on who to believe. If this is coming out, why the hell are Verizon Reps so clueless!!
Verizon reps are always clueless, but through no fault of their own. I was talking to a guy taht works at my local Verizon corporate store and he let me know that he is not supposed to discuss upcoming phones with customers. The company fears that if people are aware of upcoming phones, they will not purchase the current stock on hand and will wait only for certain phones to come out. This is why the phones are not even shown on Verizon's internal computers (at least the programs used by stores) until two weeks or less before release. No one has much advanced knowledge, and, if they do, they are not supposed to share it.

I would believe a big press release before some shmuck sending you a form letter that he probably used to respond to 500 other people that day too.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Verizon reps are always clueless, but through no fault of their own. I was talking to a guy taht works at my local Verizon corporate store and he let me know that he is not supposed to discuss upcoming phones with customers. The company fears that if people are aware of upcoming phones, they will not purchase the current stock on hand and will wait only for certain phones to come out. This is why the phones are not even shown on Verizon's internal computers (at least the programs used by stores) until two weeks or less before release. No one has much advanced knowledge, and, if they do, they are not supposed to share it.

I would believe a big press release before some shmuck sending you a form letter that he probably used to respond to 500 other people that day too.

That makes sense! No wonder he asked me to consider other phones! hmmm, so maybe the article is correct! thanks!!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I called stores in Massapequa Park, NY and downtown NYC. The Massapequa Park store rep told me it would be two to six months. The NYC store rep said that she had no time frame.

I'll wait a few weeks and try again.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:35 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by leeherman
I called stores in Massapequa Park, NY and downtown NYC. The Massapequa Park store rep told me it would be two to six months. The NYC store rep said that she had no time frame.

I'll wait a few weeks and try again.

The store people never have any clue. Why even bother with them?? My local Verizon store guy first told me July, then, when that date passed, he said maybe December. These people are not into the stuff they sell so they don't keep up with the current and correct information. The correct information is in the initial link.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I sent the press release to my corporate purchaser. He in turned forwarded it to our National Acct. Rep at VZW..... SHE WAS EQUALLY CLUELESS. All she would confirm was mid August. She wrote something really stupid like "Motorola was jumping the gun" with the press release.

I think we all know it was more like Motorola sticking the gun to Verizon's head and saying "get off your bloomin' a$$"
Old 07-22-2004, 12:17 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by jastor3759
I sent the press release to my corporate purchaser. He in turned forwarded it to our National Acct. Rep at VZW..... SHE WAS EQUALLY CLUELESS. All she would confirm was mid August. She wrote something really stupid like "Motorola was jumping the gun" with the press release.

I think we all know it was more like Motorola sticking the gun to Verizon's head and saying "get off your bloomin' a$$"
LMAO... Verizon is good for coverage and sometimes customer service, but as far as getting the consumers what they want, it is a joke.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
LMAO... Verizon is good for coverage and sometimes customer service, but as far as getting the consumers what they want, it is a joke.

Abso-freakin-lutely. Good thing I'm not a customer too bad my employer is :'(
Old 07-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

Who knows if the Motorola V710 (with Verizon Service) that is coming out in the first week of August will DEFINITELY work in the TL?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

I've read that not all available features work with some phones. So, ditto to Nicki's post - anyone heard what the compatability will be like? I've read everywhere I can think of, and haven't seen anything.

I DID stop by a Verizon store in San Diego today and ask a sales rep when they'd have "Bluetooth" phones. He was very busy, and only said, "I'm not sure. Soon. August I think." I asked if it was the Motorola phone. He answered, "Yeah. 710." I have NO idea where he got his info (coulda been from this forum for all I know).
Old 07-26-2004, 09:38 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by Nicki
Who knows if the Motorola V710 (with Verizon Service) that is coming out in the first week of August will DEFINITELY work in the TL?

Someone on one of the cell phone forums was able to post a link to the manual for the v710 in which the hands free profile feature of the bluetooth was discussed, so it does have the right technology to link with the Acura. I also had a conversation with a Verizon store employee about the fact that it will work, but a conversation with a verizon employee is usually worth poo (for those Verizon employees that actually have a good knowledge base on the products and services your sell, a coversation with you would be worth more than poo, at least slightly more)
Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Intermediate

I called Verizon Wireless today, both purchasing (national), and stopped in at ANOTHER local store. Both confirmed the V710 is suppose to come out in August, but nothing more specific.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:33 AM
Instructor

*crosses fingers and continues to badger corporate account manager for ETA updates*
Old 07-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Cruisin'

Someone had posted in another thread about a problem with the V710 not displaying the Caller ID in the MID. I don't care about signal strength or battery level, but not seeing the caller ID in the dash would suck. Does anyone know if that's the TLs problem or the phones problem? Can it be fixed in a firmware update?

Thanks.. If it can't be fixed that would certainly put dampen everyone's excitement level for this phone..
Old 07-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mattyg30
Someone had posted in another thread about a problem with the V710 not displaying the Caller ID in the MID. I don't care about signal strength or battery level, but not seeing the caller ID in the dash would suck. Does anyone know if that's the TLs problem or the phones problem? Can it be fixed in a firmware update?
It's definitely a phone problem - the phone is not programmed to send over those values to the HFL. A firmware update can certainly fix it; the question is, will that firmware update actually be implemented? A firmware update could also fix the Timeport 270C by adding the hands free profile, but even after several years there's no sign of such an update - apparently at Verizon's explicit request (Motorola is prohibited by Verizon from flashing Verizon-branded phones with new firmware, including a version which fixes some of the phone's Bluetooth bugs).

Bottom line, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any firmware updates for the V710...
Old 07-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Why would Verizon be so against Motorola implementing software that they use successfully on their other phone (V600)? If that implementation of bluetooth can transfer the number, why shouldn't the implementation on a similar phone do the same?

I just can't imagine Verizon not allowing Motorola to fix a bug like that.. Adding the hands free profile to an older phone like the 270 is probably a much bigger upgrade than this would be.

The person who tested it was using a pre-release phone without the latest software, so who knows.. This might not even be an issue. I don't care about signal strength or battery, but not seeing the caller id in the dash would really be a let down.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Advanced

My guess is that, as soon as Verizon allows Motorola to flash their phones with any old firmware, Verizon will have to start supporting multiple firmware versions. They probably would rather have one phone with one firmware that has already undergone extensive testing and modifications, than have one model phone with 5 or 6 different firmware versions. Either Verizon would have to devote more money and effort into testing and modifying each one of these firmware versions, or they can just say, "We're going to use firmware version 1.1 and no others." It's easier for them.

That would be my guess as to why they won't allow Motorola to update the Verizon branded phones.

Matt