Mod to keep Power Outlet Always On

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod to keep Power Outlet Always On

Is there a trick to keeping the power outlet in the storage area under the armrest between the front seats always on, even when the ignition is off? I would like to have my phone charge overnight. Any help would be great.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
why not charge it in your house?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:48 PM
9th Gear

Once you are almost 40, like I am, you tend to forget things... I'd more often than not either forget to bring it in, or leave it at home if I brought it in.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha your old . It would require a decent amount of work to overide it. My advice would be to get an add a circuit thing and put a plug in the glove compartment, and just keep your phone in there(does it lock?).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
zigurat, it seems people haven't found the good way to enable one of power outlets after the ignition is off. If your car isn't properly setup, the current may flow or feed to other devices and drain your battery fast.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:12 PM
10th Gear

You can try this...should only take an hour or so.

In the fuse panel, there are a couple of open fuse slots that remain powered all the time. I guess they are spares. Use your meter just to be sure and add a fuse to be safe.

You can easily hide the wire going across from the left to right side near the pedals until you get to the plastic covering that runs from the front section back to the storage bin. At the bottom of the storage bin, pull out the rubber membrane and you will see a little plastic hatch. With a screw driver you can pry it out and get access underneath. Back to running the wire...tuck it under the plastic until you reach the storage area (You need to move the seat forward and back to reach most spots), and when you reach the storage area then just push it under the plastic and it will pop right through where you removed the hatch. I cut a notch on the plastic hatch so the wire could come out. Now just wire up your female adapter and you are done.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Team WD Member

I had the same problem in my G35 ... excuse I heard was "it's a European thing" even those the car is made - well, elsewhere!

I had both the Infiniti and Acura dealers (on my TL) run the circuit for about $100. Remember, your mileage may vary.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesnt bluetooth drink batteries?(my mom is on the cell 2-5 hours a day, she is a social worker, special needs school placement person).
Old 07-20-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've done this on a bunch of cars, it's not the smartest thing to do, but all you need to do is find a constant 12V wire behind the dash (the radio has one) then run that to the oulet under the armrest, make sure you disconnect the switched 12V wire that is attached first
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Doesnt bluetooth drink batteries?(my mom is on the cell 2-5 hours a day, she is a social worker, special needs school placement person).
Bluetooth, when enabled on your phone, will increase the rate in which the battery is drained. I get half the talk time on my v710 than I would with it disabled. If you're busy and out of the house a lot, you'd want your phone to charge in your car. Granted, you'll be driving when it's charging, you may wish for it to charge in your car while you eat lunch somewhere or what not.

Part of me is glad that the power outlets are disabled (my S2000, as I don't own a TL), because it'll save the battery in my car if I'm a dumbass and leave something plugged in. However, sometimes I wish it'd stay on.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by jefffree
I had both the Infiniti and Acura dealers (on my TL) run the circuit for about $100...
...i hope that included an EXTRA outlet and a dedicated fuse slot, if not, i will gladly wire up anyone elses vehicles for $25 cheaper... $15 cheaper with a dedicated fuse... full price for the works w/ extra "Acura genuine" outlet... all with a lifetime warranty (i`m 28, so that`s a long warranty)
Originally Posted by rbf351
...all you need to do is find a constant 12V wire behind the dash (the radio has one) then run that to the oulet under the armrest, make sure you disconnect the switched 12V wire that is attached first...
yup... extremely easy... once you get to the back of the outlet, of course... with a voltmeter or even one of those 12v lights with alligator clips, it a simple changeout... as stated, disconnect and CAP OFF the switched 12v wire (power on when key is turned to run) on the back of the socket (do not just use electrical tape to cover the end)... then use solder or a butt connector to attach the a new wire, run over from a constant source (always on) in the fuse panel, to that spot... ***once you`ve selected the fuse (preferrably under 20A) you want to use; it`s best to remove the fuse, then check which side of the fuse DOES NOT have power and run the wire from that side (this is to assure that you still have fuse protection for your outlet)*** you may also run straight from the battery with an inline fuse, but it`s not suggested... as long as you drive daily, the phone will not kill the battery on standby (but best to shut off the phone)...