Mini DVD Audio.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mini DVD Audio.

i remember back in the days people created mini-dvd(aka dvd movies on cd) when dvd-burner was so expensive.

anyway i think theoratically dvd audio is also possible for tl. make dvd-audio files less than 700mb you can probably burn them on regualr cd-r and should be playable on tl.

benefit of mini dvd audio is 5.1ch support on regular cd and various bit rate instead of just one 16bit 44khz on CD.

if i successfully play mini dvd audio on my tl i'll let you guys know.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
now with four rings

don't waste your time trying to burn something that's not gonna happen...

there's no such thing as burning dvd-audio files onto cd's...it's called dvd-audio for a reason -- the dvd has a structure to it allowing uncompressed audio to be played in multiple channels...

the dvd-audio file format cannot be played on cd's...period. if that was possible, you would need 6-channel WAV files on your cd AND it would have to be playable by the TL stereo, which it's not...

that's like trying to rip a DVD and putting it on a floppy disk, expecting it to play in your computer...besides the fact that the floppy doesn't have the capacity, there's also no DVD structure to it...odd analogy, but you get it...

don't waste your time...
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by rimz

there's no such thing as burning dvd-audio files onto cd's...it's called dvd-audio for a reason -- the dvd has a structure to it allowing uncompressed audio to be played in multiple channels...

the dvd-audio file format cannot be played on cd's...period. if that was possible, you would need 6-channel WAV files on your cd AND it would have to be playable by the TL stereo, which it's not...

that's like trying to rip a DVD and putting it on a floppy disk, expecting it to play in your computer...besides the fact that the floppy doesn't have the capacity, there's also no DVD structure to it...odd analogy, but you get it...

don't waste your time...
Not so fast.. you would be surprised as to what you can do. On the video side I've had some pretty non standard burns (odd bit rates and resolutions) play on players. Usually the cheaper the player the better luck too. So anythings possible.

dhkkim, I absolutely remember playing with mini-DVD (DVD-V on CD), SVCD and VCD back in the day when DVD was more expensive. But now that DVD-5 is so cheap and DVD-9 is getting even more affordable why bother with a DVD-A on CD experiment ?

I guess I'd speculate you could work outside the DVD-A specs but you'll probably be burning a lot of coasters and spending oodles of time. And if you did get a DVD-A on CD to work it probably will play on very limited DVD-A players. Your choice but I'd hunt other dogs.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rimz

don't waste your time...
dvd video worked on cd so i guess dvd audio could work too. im little lazy havent tried this yet. like many single albums only contain 4 songs, so i was thinking maybe convert them to 5.1 channel(virtually) and burn them as a dvd audio (but using a cd-r).