Metallic Tint interfering with NAV!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metallic Tint interfering with NAV!!

Hi,
I just got my '05 TL tinted today at Express Tint in Centerville, VA
I went with 20% in the rear and 35% on all the doors using Lumar film. Initially they applied metallic film on all windows/rear even though I had specified that it will interfere with the NAV. I then drove around to test the Nav and the bearings were off by a couple of hundred yards or so..
I then had them strip off the rear and replace with a non-metallic film. We left the metallic on the doors to see how the Nav would behave. I am still off by a little bit at some destinations but not all, but will be testing more in the next day or so to see if it is bearable for me..

Couple of questions:
a) Where is the Navi sensor located?
b) Would having a metallic on just the doors cause interference even though the sensor might be in the rear?
c) Is a little deviation of the Nav normal?

If this persists, the shop has agreed to strip the doors as well but we are trying to figure out the origins and extent of the interference...

Any feedback/thoughts?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Location.

The navi antenna is located under the rear package shelf near the bottom edge of the rear window, it isn't part of the satellite radio antenna on the roof.

That's why the metallic tint on the rear window fouled it up - the tint attenuated (weakened) the GPS signals.

Some variance is normal, which is why there is position correction adjustments provide on one of the menus.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azobairi
Hi,
I just got my '05 TL tinted today at Express Tint in Centerville, VA
I went with 20% in the rear and 35% on all the doors using Lumar film. Initially they applied metallic film on all windows/rear even though I had specified that it will interfere with the NAV. I then drove around to test the Nav and the bearings were off by a couple of hundred yards or so..
I then had them strip off the rear and replace with a non-metallic film. We left the metallic on the doors to see how the Nav would behave. I am still off by a little bit at some destinations but not all, but will be testing more in the next day or so to see if it is bearable for me..

Couple of questions:
a) Where is the Navi sensor located?
b) Would having a metallic on just the doors cause interference even though the sensor might be in the rear?
c) Is a little deviation of the Nav normal?

If this persists, the shop has agreed to strip the doors as well but we are trying to figure out the origins and extent of the interference...

Any feedback/thoughts?

There is a warning in the manual that tells you not to use metallic tint. It also explains why and where the GPS sensor is. I went one step up with formula 1 ceramic tint, which is specifically sold for this reason. It looks great, as good as the metallic and it has not inteferred with the GPS at all.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My metalic tint hasn't interfered at all with my Navi. However, it seems that certain brands cause more of a problem than others.

Maybe it's time for another poll?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Just had mine tinted, but went with Ceramic based tinted for this very reason. Earlier discussions in this Forum talked about the interference problems that metallic based tints can cause. No issues at all with the Ceramic film.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
This is tint, and it is navi, but it is more navi so I am moving it to Navi