Maybe crazy question -- Slingbox w/ Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 10:40 AM
3rd Gear

Maybe crazy question -- Slingbox w/ Bluetooth?

I don't know how many people are familiar with the Slingbox, but I'm getting a Blackberry (which will be able to support Slingbox very soon) and I have an '07 Type-S. I'm wondering if I'll be able to listen to my Slingbox via Bluetooth. I would think it's possible, but not sure. Maybe a crazy question, but would there be any way to watch my Slingbox on my navigation screen?
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:03 AM
now with four rings

wow, that is one crazy (and badass if it worked) idea...

i've only read about the slingbox once, but here's my thoughts from what i can remember about it...

to watch any content on your Nav screen through your slingbox, your Nav screen would have to connect to it using the specified address the slingbox gives you...and because the Nav screen doesn't have internet capabilities, you're out of luck...

can you imagine watching internet streaming videos thru the Nav in our car...?

unless you're talking about hooking up your slingbox physically to your car...that's a different story...

as for listening to your content, i don't think that will happen either, regardless if you hook up your slingbox physically or not...the bluetooth in our car only works like a phone...there's no command that will put our HFL in a mode to 'listen' to a connected bluetooth device (i.e. stream audio from a bluetooth device thru our sound system)...

i just thought of one way this could work: if you called your slingbox using the HFL and the slingbox played a specific media file (video or audio) depending on the phone number you called, then it would playback that media through your HFL just like you were actually talking to someone...but that's not possible, so don't worry about it...

i'm sure there's some crazy way to make this work using third-party hardware and software, but using our stock parts, it won't happen...

by the way, if i've misinterpreted what you were asking in any way, i apologize...this is just my two cents on what i think you're trying to do...
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Good info. I figured it was pretty far fetched, but worth dreaming about... Thank you.
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:42 AM
Acura Newbie

If your Crackberry has a headphone jack, you could plug that into the AUX input. As for video, as rimz said, not going to happen unless you did some physciall changes. At that point you might as well go the CarPC route and get everything.
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:47 PM
now with four rings

good idea with the headphone jack (if available) and AUX input...but you would still need to connect your phone to the slingbox, otherwise you'll have to fill up your Crackberry with the content and play it through that...

like blipszyc mentioned, look into the CarPC route...i THINK it has internet capabilities built into it...just have to find your own internet access...then you could connect to your slingbox IP, though you may not always get a clear connection...

just get yourself a TV tuner...
Old 01-07-2008 | 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

The bluetooth in our TL is only HFL. It doesn't have the A2DP and and AVRCP protocals. but i read somewhere that they make Bluetooth tape adapter that'll enable these functions (put some good use to the useless tape deck ). otherwise, I don't think you can use the slingbox via the berry phones via bluetooth to connect to TL...