Make your Own DVD Audio! What?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 03:32 PM
8 Foot Asian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make your Own DVD Audio! What?????

I have read a couple of threads regarding how easy it is to make your own DVD-A discs. The only problem I have is the fact that in order to make a DVD-A disk you either need to:

A: Buy a DVD-A disk so that you can burn it (retarded option)
B: Borrow a DVD-A disk from a friend whom probably doesn not exist to anyone including myself.
C: Burn the audio track of a movie which is even lamer than option A.

So in conclusion if we cannot create 5.1 audio disks from the mp3 files that we burn from the net, and since you cannot download 5.1 audio mp3 files from the net, and since you cannot rent DVD-A disks from blockbuster. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU NERDS BURNING ON THESE DVD RECORDABLE DISKS !

Please help us all out b/c I have a DVD burner in my computer and want to start ripping DVD-A disks right away, I only want to know where you guys are getting the music from!!!!

PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced

1) Calm the frig down.

2) A normal compact disc can hold about 70 minutes of "cd-quality" audio. a DVD disc can hold about 450 minutes of "cd-quality" audio. If you want "dvd-quality" audio, that takes up more space so you can fit less - about 130 minutes.

When people talk about burning songs on a DVD-A disc around here, they're probably talking about burning "cd-quality" audio onto a DVD.

-Steve
Old 08-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Can't copy DVD-A

Originally Posted by cdkruaya
A: Buy a DVD-A disk so that you can burn it (retarded option)
B: Borrow a DVD-A disk from a friend whom probably doesn not exist to anyone including myself.

Please help us all out b/c I have a DVD burner in my computer and want to start ripping DVD-A disks right away, I only want to know where you guys are getting the music from!!!!

PLEASE HELP!
OK, for all of you who don't know:

A: DVD-A discs are not DVDs with music on them. A special program (not Toast or EZ-DVD creator, etc) is required to make them. On the cheap, your only real option is the discwelder series products. Beyond that you're into professional-grade software and trust me the cost is also professional-grade.

B: You cannot copy a commercial DVD-A disc. The byte structure of the disc is incompatible with any DVD-R, consumer or professional. For those of us in the industry, this is one of the great things about DVD-A.

Now that that is cleared up, yes, using discwelder software you can put quite a lot of stereo audio on a DVD-A disc and that is pretty cool. Thanks for reading, ric
Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

The Acura owners link web page specifically states that the DVD unit in the car will not read DVD-R disks.

Has anyone tried this successfully?
Old 08-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

As a matter of fact. The TL will ONLY read the DVD-R format. all others DVD-RW, DVD+R etc. cannot be read.

How do i know?

I have discwelder. And its FANTASTIC. 90 something songs on each disk. I could go weeks without hearing the same song twice..

Old 08-13-2004, 04:47 PM
VTEC HoooA

One source that is often overlooked are the DVD-Video concert releases. Most of these are recorded in 5.1 and are not available on DVD-A. So you can rip the concert 5.1 sound, then burn it out to a DVD-A format and PRESTO 5.1 surround!

I wish that they would release more DVD-Audio disks soon.....

Where is the Cure (Mixed Up in 5.1 would be simply stunning)??
Where is Depeche Mode??
Where is Orbital??
Where is Moby???
Old 08-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Moonwalker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have successfully used both Sony DVD-R and DVD-RW media. Sony DVD+RWs, however, did not work.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by telecomatt
As a matter of fact. The TL will ONLY read the DVD-R format. all others DVD-RW, DVD+R etc. cannot be read.
DVD-RW works fine too.

DVD+R appears to be a crap shoot; it works for some but not others.

Mike
Old 08-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
One source that is often overlooked are the DVD-Video concert releases. Most of these are recorded in 5.1 and are not available on DVD-A. So you can rip the concert 5.1 sound, then burn it out to a DVD-A format and PRESTO 5.1 surround!
This is true. U2's Go Home is particularly good.

I make "mixers" as well using the DTS or DD source from the DVD-V "side" of a DVD-A and standard stereo material from CDs. For example, I have a really great Queen mixer with material from the Greatest Video Hits as well as my Night at the Opera and The Game DVD-A's. The sound difference between my DVD-A's and the originals is minimal in the TL, and I only carry $1 DVD-R's instead of the $15 masters in the car.

Mike
Old 08-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Advanced

YES .. DVD-R disc do work .. I have converted my MP3s to waves (2 channels) ... I can put about 89 songs on 1 DVD-R .... plays just fine in the car and the RANDOM .. works wonderful........

also ripped a concert disc ... used the audio ... from it ..

DISCWELDER is the program I use to make DVD-As for the Acura ...
Old 08-15-2004, 02:29 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
If you have a soundcard that can record 4-6 channels simultaneously, you can create your own surround DVD-As from surround SACDs, DVD-A's, DVD-V's, and old quadraphonic records and tapes from the 1970s (check eBay). Just playback the disc or tapes from the proper player into your PC, clean up or edit the wav files, then make your own 5.1 or 4.0 DVD-A.

AFAIK, you can't rip the surround SACD tracks, but you can record them during playback.

:-jon
Old 01-18-2005, 12:39 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by svtmike
...and I only carry $1 DVD-R's instead of the $15 masters in the car.

That's a good idea, Mike. I might have to do that if I can figure all this ish out. lol
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM
8th Gear

Smile

I have been using Wavelab for months and burned a lot of DVD-A. The thing is you need some strong software to convert the bitrate and sample rate up. The quality is much better than cd quality. (anyone who has normal hearing WILL hear the clarity) I usually put @24 - 30 songs at teh highest bit-rate and sampling possible.

My $.02
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by telecomatt

I have discwelder. And its FANTASTIC. 90 something songs on each disk. I could go weeks without hearing the same song twice..

Which version do you have? Looks like the "silver" version can burn multiple directories, but bronze can only have one. Is bronze adequate for your applications?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by csmoore
Which version do you have? Looks like the "silver" version can burn multiple directories, but bronze can only have one. Is bronze adequate for your applications?
As the TL will recognize only 1 group (directories as u called them), there is no need for multiple groups, so the bronze is OK...

Also, only a max of 99 songs will the TL recognize (damn... I sound like yoda there...)
Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
As the TL will recognize only 1 group (directories as u called them), there is no need for multiple groups, so the bronze is OK...

Also, only a max of 99 songs will the TL recognize (damn... I sound like yoda there...)
The TL can play multiple groups. You hold in the RPT and SCAN buttons simultaneously for a few seconds to switch groups.

99 songs in a group is the max the DVD-A spec allows (in other words 99 songs is not a TL thing - it's a DVD-A thing), so theoretically you could get 891 very short songs on a disc (99 songs x 9 groups).

Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 12:29 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

This is true. U2's Go Home is particularly good.

I make "mixers" as well using the DTS or DD source from the DVD-V "side" of a DVD-A and standard stereo material from CDs. For example, I have a really great Queen mixer with material from the Greatest Video Hits as well as my Night at the Opera and The Game DVD-A's. The sound difference between my DVD-A's and the originals is minimal in the TL, and I only carry $1 DVD-R's instead of the $15 masters in the car.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I was just reading this post over and from what it sounds, you're saying that you can burn a DVD-Audio using DTS or DD streams? I thought a DVD-Audio wouldn't be able to decode a DTS stream?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

The TL can play multiple groups. You hold in the RPT and SCAN buttons simultaneously for a few seconds to switch groups.

99 songs in a group is the max the DVD-A spec allows (in other words 99 songs is not a TL thing - it's a DVD-A thing), so theoretically you could get 891 very short songs on a disc (99 songs x 9 groups).

Mike
NO WAY.... GREAT INFO! I had no idea! THANKS... (You'd get points if I could give them!) I stand completely corrected...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lore
Hi Mike,

I was just reading this post over and from what it sounds, you're saying that you can burn a DVD-Audio using DTS or DD streams? I thought a DVD-Audio wouldn't be able to decode a DTS stream?
I use my computer to decode the DTS stream to 6 mono .wav files.

Just did it last night with my Peter Gabriel "Play - The Videos" DVD as a matter of fact. I expect that to sound great when I author up the DVD-A tonight.

Mike
Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I use my computer to decode the DTS stream to 6 mono .wav files.

Just did it last night with my Peter Gabriel "Play - The Videos" DVD as a matter of fact. I expect that to sound great when I author up the DVD-A tonight.

Mike
Gotcha! Now that makes sense. Thansk
Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Gotcha! Now that makes sense. Thansk
Let us know what you use for conversions. That's the DVD I'm looking forward to somehow getting on DVD-A.

Carl
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmoore
Let us know what you use for conversions. That's the DVD I'm looking forward to somehow getting on DVD-A.

Carl
I listened to about 1/3 of it today to and from work; it sounds pretty darn good.

As for software, WinDVD Platinum ($70) has the necessary decoder. Everything else to extract the sound is freeware.

Figure out which chapter in the title set corresponds to each track. Rip the DVD to hard disk, and demux the correct DTS streams (I used vStrip for this). Use azidts, which takes advantage of WinDVD Platinum's DTS decoder, to decode the DTS stream to 6 .WAVs.

You can find tutorials that will teach you how to do this stuff (and much more) on doom9.org and hydrogenaudio.org.

Mike
Old 01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

Question

Figure out which chapter in the title set corresponds to each track. Rip the DVD to hard disk, and demux the correct DTS streams (I used vStrip for this). Use azidts, which takes advantage of WinDVD Platinum's DTS decoder, to decode the DTS stream to 6 .WAVs.
Mike,

When you convert DVD-V concerts, do you have problems with breaks between songs being at the wrong point? I use Chapter Xtractor after the demux process to break up the songs, but it seems like I spend a lot of time tweaking it to get every song to start and end properly. I know some people just skip the extract step. Any advice?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bzss7x
Mike,

When you convert DVD-V concerts, do you have problems with breaks between songs being at the wrong point? I use Chapter Xtractor after the demux process to break up the songs, but it seems like I spend a lot of time tweaking it to get every song to start and end properly. I know some people just skip the extract step. Any advice?
DVD layouts are of course far more complex (and flexible) than CD layouts. When you throw in multiple angles, they can get downright byzantine. I've seen everything from a single title set with all the songs in a single Vob/Cell within to one title set for each track, and not necessarily in any kind of logical order.

I've found a few things that work for me when converting:

1) Use SmartRipper and split by chapters on a single angle to get proper splits. If you are extracting streams, use stream processing in SmartRipper to rip to VOBs and then use VobEdit to demux the specific streams.

2) If using VStrip to extract streams, have it split by Cell-ID, then check each chapter to see which VOB/Cell(s) it corresponds to. The nice thing about streams is they generally can just be concatenated together, so if a chapter consists of multiple VOB/Cell IDs, you can just join them up with your favorite file concatenation method.

I've learned a lot more about DVD file structures and authoring than I ever intended thanks to owning this car and my new-found predilection for 5.1 music.

Mike
Old 01-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

I've learned a lot more about DVD file structures and authoring than I ever intended thanks to owning this car and my new-found predilection for 5.1 music.
I concur 100%. But all the hard work I invested seemed worth it the first time I heard Dave Matthews Band live in 5.1 while driving home from work.

Thanks for the good advice - I'm sure it will help.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
4th Gear

Burn.Now

I have used Burn.Now from Ulead to burn a compilation disk for use in my TL. I use a DVD-R. The player recognizes the disk as a DVD-A but then ejects it. I am assuming it is a CPPM issue. What am I doing wrong and why are others able to record compilation disks on DVD and play them in the TL? Any advice will be most appreciated.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

I believe you need Wavelab 5 or Disc Welder, Burn.Now only burns DVD-Vs.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 AM
4th Gear

Burn.Now

This program is advertised to burn to dvd-audio, however my TL does not like the disks and ejects them after identifying them as dvd-audio disks
Old 01-24-2005, 02:23 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

http://www.ulead.com/bn/features.htm

Burn DVD-Audio Discs

Get 6 hours of great, uncompressed-quality music on a DVD-Audio disc. Play on DVD-Audio players or on DVD players that support the DVD-Audio format. .

I guess you are correct!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:07 PM
H.T.Chien

Question

Dear Alberta:

Can you tell me the player model you use to play the Burn.Now DVD-A disc??

Can you use the software player InterVideo WinDVD 6 to play the Burn.Now DVD-A disc on a PC??

How do you know it's related with CPPM??

Regards,
H.T.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

Angry Burn DVD-Audio Discs

Originally Posted by htchien
Dear Alberta:

Can you tell me the player model you use to play the Burn.Now DVD-A disc??

Can you use the software player InterVideo WinDVD 6 to play the Burn.Now DVD-A disc on a PC??

How do you know it's related with CPPM??

Regards,
H.T.
I am not sure what the player model is in my Canadian purchased 2004 TL. I can play the disks I have burned with Burn.Now on my computer using Cyberlink Power DVD 6. When I first try to play the disk I get the message "CPPM must be activated before playing CPPM protected content" It is only when I press "cance" and get the message "CPPM not activated" that the disk plays on my computer. I am presuming that the dvd audio player in my car is having the same problem and there is no "cancel" to press. The disk is simply ejected after having been identified as dvd-audio disk. Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:12 PM
H.T.Chien

Red face

Originally Posted by happyalberta
I am not sure what the player model is in my Canadian purchased 2004 TL. I can play the disks I have burned with Burn.Now on my computer using Cyberlink Power DVD 6. When I first try to play the disk I get the message "CPPM must be activated before playing CPPM protected content" It is only when I press "cance" and get the message "CPPM not activated" that the disk plays on my computer. I am presuming that the dvd audio player in my car is having the same problem and there is no "cancel" to press. The disk is simply ejected after having been identified as dvd-audio disk. Any ideas?
I guess the car player you have should be a Panasonic?? So far as I know, Burn.Now DVD-A disc does not make the CPPM feature to be enabled. When I use InterVideo WinDVD 6 to play the DVD-A disc I burned from Burn.Now, I can play the DVD-A disc without any problem. I do not know if this CPPM issue is the reason you cannot play the disc, but I will check with Ulead to see if it is.

Thanks for your answers, and best regards,
H.T.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:29 PM
H.T.Chien

I think the car player you use is Acura ELS Premium Sound System and is made by Elliot Scheiner based on the technology from Panasonic ( http://www.surroundpro.com/articles/...icle_200.shtml ). Is this correct??

H.T.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by htchien
I think the car player you use is Acura ELS Premium Sound System and is made by Elliot Scheiner based on the technology from Panasonic ( http://www.surroundpro.com/articles/...icle_200.shtml ). Is this correct??

H.T.
Yes, that is correct.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
E-Xtraordinare

So what you guys are saying is that, btw I have Nero, basically I can burn songs to a DVD-R disc and actually play them in my TL?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Advanced

I think one of you guys that have successfully made the transfer of DVD-V's to DVD-A's should start your own little business of selling homemade DVD-A's to unsavy computer illiterate guys like myself
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
did anybody ever make a How to guide with pictures for discwelder. I think it would help a lot of newbies out. I was going to, but i always get distracted and still havent made one disc yet.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Computer Techie Geek

this thread should be usefull enough on making a DVD-V -> DVD-A
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110542
Old 03-16-2005, 03:44 PM
E-Xtraordinare

this thread is not helpful. Re-vamping this with some instructions, recommended softwares would be quite beneficial
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM
7th Gear

Has anyone had any problem with their burned DVD-A discs skipping to the next track before the current track is finished?

This does not happen with every track, but while listening to some tracks the disc suddenly skips to the next track. This seems to happen randomly. Sometimes 5 seconds into the track, sometimes 2 minutes in.

I am using DVD-R media.

Quick Reply: Make your Own DVD Audio! What?????