Looking to do a sound system upgrade for my 04' Acura, opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man. I have already designed the box for 1.05 cu. ft. I was just wondering if there were wiring diagrams/install instructions for aftermarket hook-ups to the stock system for signal wires, AUX channel availability, and stuff like that. I just want to wire for an amp, hook up the subs so they can be controlled using the sub control in stock unit, and possibly have an AUX wire somewhere to hook up an MP3 player. Is that too much? I wouldn't mind having someone installing for me, just want to take on a project but don't want to do it blindly.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Advanced

OK, I have decided I am willing to spend more to get the system done right in the TL. I definatly want to keep my stock radio but I'd like to replace all the speakers, the subs and add amps for them. What will I need so that I can keep my stock radio/navy and also complete use of controls on the steering wheel for the radio with the new upgrades. Also as far as the upgrades, I'm thinking I want JL audio subs, if I go with 2, which should I get, the W6's? Also as far as speaker replacements and amps for the subs and speakers, what does everyone suggest? Should I go with JL audio amps as well?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Hmmm, I noticed I will definatly need a rockford fosgate 3sixty now. Does anyone have the 360.2 ?? What's the difference between the 360.1 and the 360.2 if any?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is not a stereo system.... but I like like what this guy has done here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dMGpudWLk6s
Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thedeadmanx
Hmmm, I noticed I will definatly need a rockford fosgate 3sixty now. Does anyone have the 360.2 ?? What's the difference between the 360.1 and the 360.2 if any?
Go check the Rockford Fosgate website for a detailed comparison... http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_compare.asp?cat_id=1&locale=en_US&comp=(10 6185,106187)

Basically... you have more EQ possibilities and an actual crossover with the 3sixty.2...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by JMags
Thanks man. I have already designed the box for 1.05 cu. ft. I was just wondering if there were wiring diagrams/install instructions for aftermarket hook-ups to the stock system for signal wires, AUX channel availability, and stuff like that. I just want to wire for an amp, hook up the subs so they can be controlled using the sub control in stock unit, and possibly have an AUX wire somewhere to hook up an MP3 player. Is that too much? I wouldn't mind having someone installing for me, just want to take on a project but don't want to do it blindly.
If you want to do a simple sub install while leaving the remainder of the system factory then what you'd do is disconnect your factory 8" sub in the center of the rear deck and extend the factory speaker wires to an aftermarket amplifier with "high level" inputs or speaker wire inputs. From the amplifer you'd install whatever subs you decide on. To keep it even simpler you could install an amplified sub such as a bazooka or similar. These options would all allow you to control your sub level with your factory level controller in the head unit.
As far as the MP3 input well that can get a little more complicated. I have a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty installed immediately downstream of my HU that cleans up my signal before sending it along to the amplifiers. This unit has an AUX input that I have an IPOD hooked up to. I'm sure there are other ways... I suggest asking a local shop for advice on that one.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
distrutt,

You write that your 3sixty is immediately downstream of your HU... does that mean you spoke to your installer?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by thedeadmanx
Rodneyc77 is correct, the 3sixty.2 has a crossover and a 1/3 octave EQ for each of your channels. I can't stress enough that this unit (especially the .2) is very tricky to install. The set up is kind of involed for a beginner and it's prone to system noise and alternator whine. Not to mention that very few... and I mean VERY FEW installers can properly tune a 1/3 octave EQ let alone a 1/3 EQ for each channel separately. What I did was contacted Rockford through their web site and found out the regional rep. I then contacted him and asked him for suggestions on local shops that he felt were up to the task and that he felt confident with. HE was very friendly and didn't seem to mind helping me out. He even offered to put my car on their site... although I turned that down.
As far as the JL equipment goes, you can't go wrong with that although there so many other good quality brands out there. I have a 13W6 and a 500/1 powering it with a 450/4 on four BA PRO 6 1/2"s. The W6's will definately sound great! The W3's won't need quite as much power and from what I hear are a little better sound quality... W6's lean a little more on the SPL side. If you put enough power to a 13W6 and fire it backwards I don't think you'll need much more bass than that!
I have pics of my system now but can't figure out how to post them... Help???
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by zax123
distrutt,

You write that your 3sixty is immediately downstream of your HU... does that mean you spoke to your installer?
Wow zax123... you pounced on that one eh??? lol. No I haven't spoken with him yet although I'll be leaving work early this Friday and I'll be headed over there to talk shop. I was being general about the "immediately downstream" comment and didn't think anyone would catch it.
Say, do you know how to post pics on here?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyDee
I'm not into 'big boom' sound... just clean crisp sound quality, so here's what I did... not too huge, but sounds fantastic!

1. Left the center channel and sub - stock.
2. Added a 4-channel Rockford-Fosgate Power amp # T400-4
3. Changed the door speakers, front tweeters, and rear speakers to Focal components # 165V2.
4. Dynamat the doors and the rear deck.

The amp and Focals completely drown-out the stock sub and center channel.
Plus they have AMAZING bass punch... the best I've ever heard in a 6" driver.
Granted, they are expensive as hell... but they're worth every cent.

Jimmy
Did you have to use interconnect cable to hook up your amp to your factory stereo