Linear Song Notes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Linear Song Notes

There is a thread like this over at DIYMA that I thought was very helpful in regards to dialing in certain things like stage height, stage width, center, off center cues, tonality, dynamics, loudness, etc. What the thread was was someone would post up the Artist & Song Title and then give notes about each part of the song and how it sounded on their setup. It's mainly for the guys that think/know their setups are dialed in and tuned correctly and everything is like it should or very close to post up and help us that might have not heard many cars and/or know what to shoot for (aka..what might be right and what might be wrong in certain song).

If you're not sure yours is correct, then you might do more harm than good by having the wrong placement on the stage, etc. DIYMA gets WAY to technical at times and I think this is something that can everyone can have fun with by picking up the song that someone has given their notes on and seeing if they're getting the same reproduction.

Anyone willing? I was hoping guys like IHateCars, Niebur3, Busa, etc can chime in. I'm not sure if it's my place to give notes quite yet, but I believe my stage cues are pretty darn good right now!

Here is the thread example at DIYMA: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ner-notes.html
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Good idea since we have the same car (mostly). I can add one later. Make sure you baseline the track - same bitrate, quality, playing method (DVD-A, iSimple, etc.), etc. The guys with the aftermarket radios will have a tremendous advantage over us with the ELS HU.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Thanks. Yeah I figure it's even more of an advantage than over at diyma where the cars differ. Most everyone uses the stock placement, but if you don't then maybe describe how yours is a different in a short sentence or two.

Here's a good format to follow:

Artist:
Album: (if you want to include this you can)
Title:
Bitrate/Quality: wav, 320, mp3, etc
Notes:

After thinking about it, this could also help the people that DON'T know if they're settings are dialed in. You can post up what YOU heard and maybe someone that does know their setup is near perfect can say if they're getting the same cues as you. Win Win for everyone! I'll be posting up some notes on a few songs for Alice in Chains (mtv unplugged) soon. Also a few random songs that I enjoy

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It would be fun if more people contributed to this. I plan to over the next few days.

Kind of along the topic, I never noticed the sound of waves at the beach in the beginning of Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" until I fixed my phase issues. Now I can easily hear it even at low volumes.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah I made this thread and haven't had time lately. Just bought a new home and those of you that have done this know it's a PITA! Close on Sept. 17th!! Can't wait. It's incredible.

Once I have that nice large 3 car garage I'll be able to really play around. I feel IB in my near future lol

Matt, if you like rock have a listen to Alice in Chains (MTV Unplugged). It's seriously one of the best albums I've ever heard and sounds amazingly good live. I've got it in FLAC and WAV so I'd share, but I'm not sure how.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think threads like this are helpful. Although, I'm not confident enough to share, yet.

I'm so anal about the recording type that I have to actually buy the disc from the song recommended because I need to know its the best material possible.