Just got a 6 channel amp. Tweeters or center channel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Just got a 6 channel amp. Tweeters or center channel?

I just got my JL Audio 6 channel in. I was planning on running the center speaker off of it but I thought of a different idea for two of the channels. I was thinking of using two of the channels for the dash tweeters so I can control their level separately. There are times I really wish I could adjust their volume independantly of the rest.

If I do this, center will remain hooked to the stock amp so I don't lose NAV. My center channel is always off when listening to music anyway. For some reason it sounds much better this way. Has anyone out there done this before?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:43 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
yes you can do that, what are you planning on doing for speakers? if you simply want to be able to controll the power a bit more you could biamp them through the passive crossover that comes with component speakers, or you could run them "active" through an equilizer....that would give you best results, but could be a headache if you dont know how to tune a stereo. Spend some time looking through some car audio forums to give yourself a good idea what youre getting into.

Check out DIYmobilaudio.com there is alot of knowledgeable people on there and there are some good "active vs passive" threads you can search for and read through.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

I have the Infinity Kappa 3-ways in the doors. After disabling the tweeter but keeping the "midrange tweeter", they sound very good but lacking midbass. No worse, probably a little better than the stock speakers so I'm hoping it's just the stock amp that is causing the lack of bass. I have the 2-ohm silk dome reference tweeters in the dash and a Kappa 2-way for the center. Stock rear speakers because if I don't like the Infinity doors after amp install, they're going in the rear.

FWIW, the amp I bought has a 3 crossovers and gain controls so I should have decent control over each set of speakers. I have an active crossover for the W6s which also has a high pass crossover but if I ran that to the new amp I would lose front/rear adjustability.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
all work and no play

Im assuming that you just replaced the door speakers with coax's and are still running the factory tweeters?
infinitys are ok, not something I like but thats really irelivent, Id say put better power to them and see what you think. Sealing your doors with sound deadener will also greatly improove your midbass, but you might be plenty happy with the results of just feeding them higher, cleaner power. If you still arent happy with the way the infinitys sound then move them to the back when you replace them.

If youre going to replace them find a high end stereo shop and listen to what they have and see what you like. It all comes down to personal taste. Then go home and find them online for a fraction of the cost. Many of the serious audiophiles on some of these forums are constantly swaping speakers in and out of their cars, and thus you can find extremely good component sets that have little use, and werent hammered on for pretty good prices.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the help.

Just finished the install and all I can say is WOW! I thought the Infinities made a big difference over stock. The amp probably made the same or a bigger difference. Even the stock speakers in the rear sound good now. I'm not talking just loudness, but the quality and detail is amazing. I can finally feed the W6s some juice now too. Midbass is great so not getting rid of the Infinities yet.... They are a little "bright" with the amp though.

I crossed the stock speakers over at 120hz so hopefully they will handle the extra juice for a while. If I had it to do over again I would've done the amp at the same time as the speakers.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
all work and no play

no problem, Im glad you like. You would actually be suprised what you can accomplish with the stock speakers given proper tuning and a whole lot of tuning. Kirk Proffet who is on here won the sound quality world championships in I believe the amatuer class in a TL with the stock woofer and tweeters as part of his setup.

Give the infinitys some time to break in, they may change and you could end up liking the outcome even more. Or the brightness might drive you nuts LOL