iSimple Media Interface Install Location (the box itself)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up iSimple Media Interface Install Location (the box itself)

Searching far and wide, not just on AZ, but also throughout the internet, I can't really find a straight answer to this question.

I'm on the verge of finally doing my long-procrastinated iSimple install. Haven't purchased it yet (I actually had to study this semester), but I know what I'm getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURA-IPHONE...item53e695d19e

I don't use any Apple products, so the goal was to use my Android phone, which I use as my MP3 player anyway. So I needed a regular, non-iPod audio jack.

The only questions I have are:

1) Where do I mount the control box for the iSimple?
I will have no need to switch to other inputs (I don't even plan on putting in the second set of cables), since I only plan on having the one input, the MP3 player.

2) If I can place it out of sight, will I need to drill holes/get a mounting bracket/etc to do this?

I've seen on most videos and DIYs that people put the control box into the cubby under the radio (in front of the shift knob), and one person said they mounted it behind the glove box. I'm more partial to hiding the box altogether, and just wiring the cable through the center console anyway. It's not a matter of getting the cabling done--I've removed and reassembled the radio/center console many times, so that's not a problem--it's just where I stick the box in the first place.

Thank you in advance for your answers. Once I get the answer, it's just a matter of pushing "click" on the order page and I'll install it this weekend.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm about to do the full iSimple install myself and have the same question. I've considered doing the drivers footwell install, but I'm not sure its actually much easier than just taking apart the dash. I've seen the photo with the iSimple box down by the accelerator pedal, but I'd be a bit worried for winter time. I don't want to knock the box while I'm wearing bulky, snow covered boots.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Take apart the dash and install it...

I put the module on its side mounted to the driver kick panel and to the left of the storage cubbys.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ I installed it in the same place. I got some industrial strength velcro and stuck it behind the driver side kick panel (to the right of your right knee cap).
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I installed mine passenger side under the glove box. There is a plastic tray I removed, and I zapped to a harness up in there and then put the tray back in place.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSMTL04
^ I installed it in the same place. I got some industrial strength velcro and stuck it behind the driver side kick panel (to the right of your right knee cap).
Where'd you get the velcro? How long as it been on, no issues with the adhesive failing under heat?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by duckedtapedemon
Where'd you get the velcro? How long as it been on, no issues with the adhesive failing under heat?
I actually used industrial adhesive velcro (you can get it in little patches an inch wide by 2-3 inches long for a few bucks) to attach the microphone unit that is near the map lights where the roof meets the windshield. It's been going strong since I did that last summer, and it hasn't failed under heat.

You can pick these up from any hardware section in a store. I specifically got mine from RadioShack, and the exact name (looking at the package as I type this) is "Dual-Lock-Hi-Temp/Hi-Strength SuperLock Fasteners. The back of the package gives these details:

20lbs per square inch tensile disengagement strength
Separation strength: 10 lbs/square inch
Sheer strength/tensile strength: 4 lbs/sq inch
Functional temp range: -20 to 200 degrees Farenheit

("A great way to hold 4-10 lb items in place, yet still be able t easily remove them")

Thank you guys for your responses! The only thing I think I would at this point is a picture of exactly where it was placed and how (in case you took pictures during your installation). The more info I have, the less I overthink it, which in my case, is always a good thing
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's mine mounted in the driver's footwell. I faced the USB out so all I have to do is drop the lower cover in case I need to update the software.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the iSimple gateway in my 2005 a couple weeks ago and I had the same question. I wound up installing it behind the A/C vents that are above the radio. I had to remove the vent assembly get to the top two radio/nav screws and found that there is plenty of room in there for the module. I just wrapped the unit in a piece of cloth (to prevent rattles) and ty-wrapped it to the A/C ductwork. I didn't have any velcro handy but that probably would have worked just a well. So far no complaints. I ran the cables for the iPod and the aux input into the glove box. Not sure about the cable length on the unit you are installing so can't say for sure that this location will work for you. I don't plan to access the usb port that often so I figure if/when I have to it isn't a big deal to pop off the vent assembly.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Death Before Dismount

So when I installed my iSimple, I didn't take anything apart. I weaseled my way behind the radio, unplugged the necessary harness with the help of a hanger and found the perfect spot to rest the unit. There is a sort of box shaped cubby between the radio and the back of the interior side firewall right at the drivers side foot-well. It works perfectly. Plus, this way you can get to it if you need to reset it for any reason.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva95teg
I installed mine passenger side under the glove box. There is a plastic tray I removed, and I zapped to a harness up in there and then put the tray back in place.
I'm doing the same thing, I already snaked the harness through to the other side and was wondering about that tray under the glove box. Is it just a snap on/off?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Donair_Eater
I'm doing the same thing, I already snaked the harness through to the other side and was wondering about that tray under the glove box. Is it just a snap on/off?
If i recall it just pulls down, it might have a screw in it but i dont think so.
The following users liked this post:
Donair_Eater (06-14-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
6th Gear

I just went with industrial velcro on the right side. Haven't knocked it down in several years.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Mine is in the glovebox for easy access.