iSimple Installation Hints

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
iSimple Installation Hints

Hey all. I just installed my iSimple Gateway (ISHD571) and I wanted to toss this up in order to clear up some confusion for other people who might be in the same position I was in.

Before installing, I did a lot of research and found resources both on here and on YouTube, but I can't say they were very comprehensive. Even before opening up various parts of my console, I had a lot of unanswered questions, but I decided to bite the bullet and feel my way around. Luckily, I didn't break anything or lose any screws, fasteners, etc. in the process, and the module worked like a charm after being plugged in. Here's how I did it:

Note: No pictures yet, because I was hopelessly lost for 90% of the time; will snap some later when I feel like tackling all the plastic again.
  1. There are a LOT of clips that secure all the pieces together
  2. My wires connected to the head unit in the front console, NOT in the trunk/rear area as I have read elsewhere
  3. The only tools you'll need are those panel trim removal tools (the plastic ones) and a Phillips #2 screwdriver; a magnetic screwdriver helps because you definitely don't want screws falling into crevices
  4. Make sure to disconnect your battery; you'll find electrical connections going to places you didn't even think would need them
  5. Remove the aluminium trim that runs down the sides of the console first
  6. Take out the screws in the center glove box as well as the screws that are now exposed under the aluminium trim; doing so allows you to shift the glove box backwards, which allows you to manipulate the cupholders for easier access
  7. Before you remove the side panels that cover the head unit and gear shifter, you must remove the knee panel and glovebox because there are 2 screws that cannot otherwise be accessed
  8. When removing the knee panel, there is only ONE fastener, and that is by the center console near the bottom; otherwise, it is held down by only fastners; you only need to worry about the center console side, so you can hang the panel with the VSA & mirror adjustment connectors
  9. For the glove box, remove it in the exact same way you would if you had to replace the cabin air filter; take note that the trunk lock switch is electrically hooked up
  10. After loosening the 2 screws for each side panel, you will be able to take the side panels out by working the remaining clips
  11. Removing the storage compartments (I'll call them ashtrays even though I know they're not used as ashtrays) makes it easier to run the cables, so I'd recommend doing it
  12. But before removing the ashtray, you must remove the silver gear shifter bracket by prying it out; you may have to play with the shifter or remove the shift knob to take out the bracket; if you play with the shifter, then you better hope you're on a flat surface or that your parking brakes work
  13. Then remove the carbon fiber plate by prying it out
  14. All that's left is to pry the location where the top of the ashtray meets the bottom of the head unit (below the cassette player); there are no clips per se, but the ashtray sort of locks with the bottom of the head unit through very shallow tabs; take note that the DC jack needs to be disconnected; also take note that the seat heater connections need to be disconnected
  15. The port on the head unit you want to take play with is the white connector behind the cassette player on the driver's side; it's the outermost connecter
  16. I mounted the module on the passenger side because there seemed like more room on that side of the head unit than on the driver side
  17. I ran the iPod wire through the glovebox because it was so thick; it's not hard to do, but beware you don't use the holes that the glovebox will seal up
  18. I ran the AUX cable back to the driver side so not to interfere with the parking brake, but I snaked it into the center glove box through the parking brake adjustment cover; it's very easy if you have the ashtray, cupholders, and glove box unsecured
  19. If you choose to do the AUX my way, then you'll need to create a small hole on the edge of the parking brake adjustment cover in order to run the cable through
  20. For the RCA cables, I found they were too short, so I taped them to avoid shorting anything, and stowed them with the module
  21. Reversing the steps will put everything back together without any problems
  22. Make sure to test the setup before restoring the panels; this will mean reconnecting the battery, but be sure to disconnect it before messing around

Hopefully this can help others!