iPod Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Question...

I've read through the various threads on iPod integration, but having NO iPod experience I need an answer to a question which to my knowledge hasn't been discussed.....

That is, IF I install the new Nano I just got, HOW will it sound using Acura's Music Link? Will the sound quality be equal to my CDs? Will the sound be as powerful? The reason I ask is that I primarily listen to CDs in the car because I don't like the sound quality and realitively weak signal of the XM music channels. XM is "supposed" to be digital/CD quality sound but I just don't hear it. If I'm going to pay to install an iPod connection, I'm going to want at least the sound quality and volume that comes from my CDs.

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a thread that might help you:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sale-spc-camber-kit-rear-only-148564/

Its not really the connector that makes a difference, its the mp3 themselves. If you have good quality songs ripped from cd's then it will sound good. If you have downloaded music its hit or miss. I'm personally happy with the sound through my USAspec with a mix of downloaded and ripped music.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

iPod/XM

Incidentally, I totally agree with you on XM radio quality - it is a bit disappointing. I once had the luck to hear Aerosmith Dream On on XM - and then play a CD in the car immediately afterward - I think the difference was very noticeable.

Also, btw, I record all my mp3s only from CDs that I own at 320kbps. The quality is very good. Everyone has an opinion on this - and many think you can get away with a bit less - say, 256kbps or even 192kbps - but I would venture a guess that if you record at 320kbps and you have a direct connection the Acura stereo (*not* FM Transmitter) then you will not be disappointed.

Finally, I was talking to my Acura dealer the other day - the Acura Music Link was not well received and they actually stopped selling it. But a redesigned/improved model will be out soon - I think he said January.

Good Luck,

Kevin
Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by klkitts

Finally, I was talking to my Acura dealer the other day - the Acura Music Link was not well received and they actually stopped selling it. But a redesigned/improved model will be out soon - I think he said January.

Good Luck,

Kevin
What do you want to bet that it will actually be cheaper than the current crapy version. Ipod integration is getting to be common and some competitors even have HD based headunits. The $5 cable they sell should not retail for more that $100.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Racer

Incidentally, I totally agree with you on XM radio quality - it is a bit disappointing. I once had the luck to hear Aerosmith Dream On on XM - and then play a CD in the car immediately afterward - I think the difference was very noticeable.

Also, btw, I record all my mp3s only from CDs that I own at 320kbps. The quality is very good. Everyone has an opinion on this - and many think you can get away with a bit less - say, 256kbps or even 192kbps - but I would venture a guess that if you record at 320kbps and you have a direct connection the Acura stereo (*not* FM Transmitter) then you will not be disappointed.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Thanks for the info! Since I'm new to my iPod and haven't had much time to research it, how can you control the number of kbps? Is this done through iTunes? I've only put two CDs on my iPod so far, but when syncing through iTunes I didn't recall seeing how to control the throughput rate.

Also, I'm happy to hear Acura is coming out with a better Music Link as I'd prefer to go OEM. My dealer recently told me Music Link wasn't currently available, but didn't say it was being upgraded. Good news!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

iTunes

Go to the Edit Menu->Preferences->(Advanced Tab)->

Select Import MP3 from the "Import Using" Drop down box - and then select "custom" from the "Setting" box and fill in the dialog box with 320Kbps.

Good luck and have fun.

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to the Edit Menu->Preferences->(Advanced Tab)->

Select Import MP3 from the "Import Using" Drop down box - and then select "custom" from the "Setting" box and fill in the dialog box with 320Kbps.

Good luck and have fun.

Kevin
I agree, just remember that when you go to a higher bit rate, the file size of the song becomes larger. Meaning that you will not be able to fit as many songs on your nano as Apple advertises. I typically encode at 220kps and I can get around 1200-1300 songs on my 8 gig nano, still quite a few songs. And the sound quality will be the same no matter which method you use to connect your ipod to the stereo. Hardwired that is, an fm transmitter will sound terrible.

Dave
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Advanced

I do my MP3s at 160kbps/variable and find the sound to be just fine. I listen to a lot of serious and instrumentally-intricate jazz/fusion, and in my experience I've found 160 or 192 kbps to be an excellent compromise between quality and keeping file sizes under control. I can still pick out all the solos, drum cymbal-work, etc., with no problem at these bitrates.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Racer

Nice! Thanks guys!