iPod Features & Function

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iPod Features & Function

I've searched and read about the different ways to connect an iPod to my 2006 TL. I've seen the posts about using a factory connection and all the different aftermarket ones.

I was actually thinking of using the factory one because of the wholesale price I can get but can't find what I am looking for as far as functionality.

If someone here is using this connector I wanted some extra info.

Exactly what can you do with it? Do the steering wheel controls work? Touchscreen? Does it display song title/artist/playlist/genre info? Can you switch between songs, artists, playlists, etc just like using the iPod when not connected to a car? Or does it only let you view and play ALL songs without switching between playlists? Also I heard the connector doesn't work with v7.0 of iTunes. This is ok

TIA,
Steve
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RuMIROCZ
I've searched and read about the different ways to connect an iPod to my 2006 TL. I've seen the posts about using a factory connection and all the different aftermarket ones.

I was actually thinking of using the factory one because of the wholesale price I can get but can't find what I am looking for as far as functionality.

If someone here is using this connector I wanted some extra info.

Exactly what can you do with it? Do the steering wheel controls work? Touchscreen? Does it display song title/artist/playlist/genre info? Can you switch between songs, artists, playlists, etc just like using the iPod when not connected to a car? Or does it only let you view and play ALL songs without switching between playlists? Also I heard the connector doesn't work with v7.0 of iTunes. This is ok

TIA,
Steve
I can speak to the factory solution. I had it installed and used it once.

I have the 2006 TL (new in Aug). NO metadata is displayed with the factory solution. It uses audio prompts that are built on your machine. If you have a large music library, it can take a VERY long time to build the audio menus. It LOCKS the iPod interface so you can't use the iPod controls.

The software uses the windows built in voices for creating the audio prompts. If you have a small library then this solution may be viable for you. However, I would recommend replacing the stock Windows voices with a pro series pack from Cepstral. I purchased "Diane", which really is much more tolerable in the car.

I hate the Acura solution. Hate. Period.

I use XM, disc changer, Bluetooth and navigation in mine and am not happy with the lack of "bulk" music options for the TL.

I have purchased and used Ulead Burn.Now successfully to create DVD-Audio discs. Remember that "audio-dvd" is not the same as "DVD-A". You can create audio-dvd's in almost any burning software using the "audio track" of the DVD. However, DVD-A is a different format altogether.

I've actually considered:
1) purchasing 2007 audio system components and swapping them out
2) trading in my 2006 for a 2007, just to get MP3 support

Insane I know, but other car manufacturers have gotten iPod integration down pat for years. We're talking GM here, too.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
RuMIROCZ, welcome aboard. I'm glad that you've searched and read old threads, but there is one thing you're missing: reading the sticky threads.

This one will answer most, if not all, of your questions: 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ