IPOD for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPOD for Dummies

Hey guys... I'm getting ready to start negotiating with the dealer for an 06 TL with NAV (6MT). I'm trying to decide if I should order the IPOD hookup (Musiclink) when I buy my car, or wait until later and get one of these other IPOD systems.

I'm an IPOD novice...I was given the video IPOD as a gift but currently haven't used it at all. Can someone give me a comprehensive overview of the Pros/Cons of getting the dealer-installed IPOD hookup? My main concerns are sound quality and functionability with the steering wheel/stereo controls. I want to be able to load a bunch of songs in the IPOD, throw it in the glove compartement, and then not have to deal with it for a few months. I want to hear virtually NO sound degradation compared to a CD. Am I asking too much?

Thanks!
Rob
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pros: sound quality and under warrantee.

Con's: more expensive than other solutions, ackward navigation.

I've got one, the tts acura software is hit or miss, sometimes i get the exact selection i want, sometimes not. You can just use the suffle mode or pre-select want you want and then connect. Sounds great though and was able to slide it in past the wife, easier than a separate purchase later on. (for me)

Dave
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

Hah! Loved the wife comment. Fortunately, it was my wife's parents who got me the IPOD, so she wants this feature too!

So it sounds like it is just not the most user friendly interface. Is that just with the voice, or buttons too?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

I just installed the USA Spec interface (it's got several threads on the board) into my '06 TL and it is wonderful. It's also cheaper than the Musiclink, although you have to pay and have it installed separately. I paid about $120 for the interface (it's now cheaper) and $120 for a very professional installation.

Music Link doesn't let you use the iPod to see what's playing or to control what you are listening to. This was a showstopper for me - there's no way to find out what I'm listening to? And some exec approved this as a product?

The big advantages over Music Link are that you can set it so that it leaves the iPod intact and running, so you can see and select music, and that there are more flexible installation options. It also includes a jack for non-iPods.

There are a couple of minor bugs on the TL, so you may want to wait a month or so until they upgrade the firmware. I didn't though, and will have my interface box upgraded when update the software.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:15 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I thought about adding the link when I purchased my '06. Then I keep reading that it wasn't a true integration.

When I use my ipod, I use the cassette adaptor, it works fine for me. And sounds pretty damn good.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I thought about adding the link when I purchased my '06. Then I keep reading that it wasn't a true integration.

When I use my ipod, I use the cassette adaptor, it works fine for me. And sounds pretty damn good.

I do agree with you. With my last car a Volvo, i tried various fm transmitters, and the cassette solution was by far the best, and inexpensive too. The musiclink does have great sound quality though.

I wish that acura would mount the ipod in the console. If you disconnect the ipod, make a selection and let it start, plug in the ipod, it will play the album/playlist/artist that you selected.

Dave
Old 06-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

I bought my car last weekend (black/black interior/exterior with 6MT and NAV). The dealer actually talked me out of getting the Musiclink! Don't know what to make of that, but I think I'll wait to see what changes come in 07 and maybe try to get that or another aftermarket version.....

In the meantime, there's more than enough bells & whistles on this spaceship to keep me occupied :-)

Thanks for the advice!
Rob