Interior lights shorted

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior lights shorted

So I shorted my interior lights while dissembling my center console. All the lights on my center console that illuminate the HVAC, and Radio lights are off... On top of that I have a huge power draw probably from the short...
It happened when I shorted my accessory socket... Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? What fuses to pull to stop the power draw??
Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
This just happened to me as well. None of my HVAC light illuminate. Checked the fuses with for interior lighting is a 7.5A. How did you resolve?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While trying to fix the lights, I shorted out the circuits. By that, I mean there was a puff of smoke and smell of electrical burning. All light have gone out in the Nav unit. The Nav unit is still working with all the buttons and touch, along with the rearview camera, but the lights are gone. I'm looking into a replacement (used) unit.
What do I need to know before getting a replacement unit? Reset codes?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Ran into the same issue. Stupidly didn’t disconnect battery. Looking at the circuit they use FET’s to dim the center display backlights. Rather than tearing into the circuit board I jumped the lights to the center console armrest cubby light.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillMFD3
... I jumped the lights to the center console armrest cubby light.
Care to explain to a rookie how exactly you did it? thanks
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
I'd check all the fuses, bulbs and wiring first before doing what I did. My solution was really a hack at best. I took the NAV unit out and worked on it on my bench. The T3 LEDs are polarity sensitive and also very fragile. Took me a long time to get them to seat properly. To do my mod you need to remove the center console. The light you are tapping into is inside the armrest. It comes on when you turn the lights on (does not dim though). The wires are red/black + and black -.
You then would run a jumper up to the back of the NAV and tap into the Ill+ and ill - points. I would have to go back and find the wires I tapped into.
I tested this all on the bench before cutting into the wiring in the car...if you are not comfortable doing wiring I would not attempt this.
The following users liked this post:
typesdad (11-17-2017)