Installing a 12 Volt Accessory Power Outlet

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a 12 Volt Accessory Power Outlet

I'd like to install a new 12 volt power outlet in my 2008 non-navi TL. While I've seen bits and pieces of the info I need in the forum, I can't seem to tie it all together.

It looks like I should use a fuse tapping gizmo like this one and install it in slot 32. Is that right? What's the best way/place to connect the ground wire? Once I get that part done, do I simply connect the wire from the fuse tapping gizmo and the ground wire to a 12 volt socket like this one? If so, will that (a.) be switched, and (b.) give me enough juice to charge a phone and other accessories I might use it for (one at a time, of course)?

Thanks, and sorry if I'm missing the obvious.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Where you plan to install it, and how much power you want to draw? Why not use splitter or tap into existing outlet wires?

Also why fuse #32? Seems like #9 would be better idea, as it's existing power outlet fuse
Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peter6
Where you plan to install it...?
Under the dash.

...and how much power you want to draw?
Enough to charge a phone through a smart charger.

Why not use splitter or tap into existing outlet wires?

Also why fuse #32? Seems like #9 would be better idea, as it's existing power outlet fuse
Well, that's why I posted -- I'm not sure about any of this. Just going by what I've read in the forum.

Tapping into the fuse box seems like a cleaner approach, and it's also a lot more accessible. I've read a few posts suggesting #32 for this kind of thing. But again, I'm just going on what I'm reading.

How would you approach this project?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't like those add a fuse things. I've seen many cars like that and it's just ugly. Getting directly into hidden wires is cleaner approach, and you can keep one fuse for all outlets.

​​​​​​Smart charger... Seems like you are in area of 20w. Stock outlet is rated to 120w (12v 10a). So you are safe here.

Good thing about this fuse adding is that you can easily experiment. Tap into fuse that is originally for power outlet and see if power goes out if you remove key.

And for how I would approach it...

Theres list of fuses, pick one and test :
Spoiler

Last edited by peter6; 07-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
You should consider tapping into the power seats circuit because that circuit is rated at the higher end of the amperage scale, on at all times or on a timer after key off, and is seldom use- passive on... less chance of blowing the circuit fuse.