Insert Pause in HFL phonebook

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insert Pause in HFL phonebook

Does anybody know how to insert a pause character in the HFL phonebook in the TL?? I'm paired to my V710 on Verizon and have a voicemail in the phone that has a code like:

(212) 123-4567 PP #12345#

Where the "P" is a pause and the #12345# is my access code. I can program all of these characters into the HFL phonebook, except the pause.

I saw another thread with a workaround: enter these as two different numbers, then say "Send 'Code' " or whatever as soon as it connects. I've tried this, but about half the time, the voicemail system times out before we (the car and I) negotiate sending the code and confirming that I want it sent.

I looked in the manuals and searched a little on HoFo, but saw no pause ideas for the HFL phonebook. Anyone with any success??
Old 08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
"pause" is never working in my system.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
10th Gear

The easiest way I found to insert "pauses" is.. after you have made the phonebook name entry, wait for the voice prompt "save or continue to add numbers" then press the control button and say "pause", wait again for the prompt and tell it the rest of the numbers.
HOWEVER, and here's a big however, when I use the HFL with a "pause" in the vehicle phonebook entry paired to a Motorola V710 the "pause" just shuts down the bluetooth connection with the phone. The connection re-establishes itself in about a minute, but the call does not go through. Motorola tech support told me that's because as the Bluetooth software in the phone is now, it cannot send or accept any data. (Hopefully they're working on it, rumor has it a fix is in the works ). Also, I spoke to Johnson Controls, the maker of the Bluetooth HFL in the Acura and was told that, at this time the V710 is being listed as non-compatible.
The phone itself works and sounds well in the car, and besides not showing the battery or signal strength on the MID, and for now, this seems to be the only "glitch with the system.

NYPete
Old 08-31-2004, 01:58 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I programmed a number this morning of the form "xxx-yyy-zzzz pause pause aaaa" and just said "pause" where I wanted one. The system had no problem recognizing it and inserted an underscore character where the pauses were; it said "pause" at those spots when repeating the number to me. I have not dialed the number to test it, however.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Didn't think of that, can't wait to try it!!

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I programmed a number this morning of the form "xxx-yyy-zzzz pause pause aaaa" and just said "pause" where I wanted one. The system had no problem recognizing it and inserted an underscore character where the pauses were; it said "pause" at those spots when repeating the number to me. I have not dialed the number to test it, however.
I'll try it as soon as I get out to the car tonight. I'll post results. NY Pete's comments worry me, though...

Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 03:58 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I can't get mine to work. I have to dial from the phone then transfer the call. I've tried using my phone# then a pause then my password but it the pause was to long and I ended leaveing myself a message.

Does anyone know if you can add a plus(+)? If I dial +1(xxx)-yyy-1234 from my phone on Cingular my call goes right into the voice mail system. I think if I get the HFL to accept a + it would work.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:57 AM

OK, mine would not dial the number in which I had inserted a pause. It PROGRAMMED ok, but it wouldn't dial the number. Oh well, I guess I can tell it to "send" the remaining four numbers on that particular number. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now, here's a separate issue--is anyone else having the problem that when you program a number containing more than one zero in a row, it always wants to enter extra zeros? I had this problem yesterday even when I parked and turned off the fan. Wound up entering the number one or two digits at a time.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Tried it, didn't work

Originally Posted by EduTom
I'll try it as soon as I get out to the car tonight. I'll post results. NY Pete's comments worry me, though...

I was able to (unfortunately) replicate NY Pete's experience exactly. My number with the pauses programmed in, caused the phone/car connection to crash. They reestablish connection again in about 20 seconds or so and work fine, but the pauses appear to make the V710/HFL choke big time.

Still trying to think of a workaround. Also wondering if this will be fixed in the revision that everyone is talking about that Verizon/Motorola are supposed to be releasing in Sept.?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Guys,
At this time the one workaround I've found is to have the HFL dial the number, hit the phone button again, say send "XX..", wait 'til you start to get the HFL confirm and say send. Do the same if you have to send other codes.
The other workaround is to have the number programmed in the V710 with the "pauses", use the phone to dial the number and then, hit the HFL button and say "transfer". This kind of defeats the purpose of having a HFL 'though.
Again, there is a rumor on the cell phone boards(depending on which you want to believe) that a Bluetooth update(firmware) is due from Motorola, to be available at Verizon Wireless tech service, with two dates...Sept. 4th or Nov. 4th. but we'll have to wait and see if it addresses the problems with the Acura HFL.

NYPete
Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by automata
Does anyone know if you can add a plus(+)? If I dial +1(xxx)-yyy-1234 from my phone on Cingular my call goes right into the voice mail system. I think if I get the HFL to accept a + it would work.
I called Verizon Tech Support to ask if there was some way to either:

1. Get the voicemail system to recognize the phone's caller ID so that a password (and therefore a pause) wouldn't be necessary. Answer: "uh... no."

2. Enter a code (like the + ) that would tell the voicemail system to let you directly in. Answer: "nope."

OR

3. Get Shania Twain to work as my personal assistant, dialing calls for me. Answer: "Shania who?"

So... still stuck on trying to figure out a workaround so that I don't crash while trying to check voicemail on the road and thus defeating the whole purpose of the hands-free-link.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:22 PM
5th Gear

VOICEMAIL using HFL

I do have Verizon and V710, I also figured out how to use HFL for voicmail. Forget about putting any P or paueses here I am doing it:

1. program in HFL phonebook the *86
2. program your passcode of voicmail plus a #

Then when you ask HFL to dial voicemail recording for your password ask you to enter your password, tell HFL to dial the passcode that you programed in phonebook. After that any other entry can be told to HFL ie: numbers to save or delete.

Believe me it works for me, don't mess with pauses due to lag-time of cell calls, it won't work most of the time.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:18 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by MTL04
I do have Verizon and V710, I also figured out how to use HFL for voicmail. Forget about putting any P or paueses here I am doing it:

1. program in HFL phonebook the *86
2. program your passcode of voicmail plus a #

Then when you ask HFL to dial voicemail recording for your password ask you to enter your password, tell HFL to dial the passcode that you programed in phonebook. After that any other entry can be told to HFL ie: numbers to save or delete.

Believe me it works for me, don't mess with pauses due to lag-time of cell calls, it won't work most of the time.
ummm.....maybe it's just me....but did that make sence to anyone else?... cuz it sure didn't to me.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM

Yes, it made sense to me.

What you do is create separate entries in the HFL phonebook. To give an example--if I dial my office voicemail, I have to dial the number, then enter my extension, then enter a PIN. So I have three entries in the HFL phonebook and I use them as follows:

(1) Hit phone button and say "Call voicemail."
(2) HFL confirms this, I say "Yes."
(3) Phone dials and voicemail answers. I hit phone button and say "Send voicemail extension."
(4) HFL confirms the send, I hold down the phone button until it beeps.
(5) Voicemail asks for the PIN. I hit phone button and say "Send voicemail PIN."
(6) HFL confirms the send, I hold down the phone button until it beeps.

Beyond this point, if there are multiple messages it becomes a nuisance to voice-send the various commands to the voicemail system, so I may pull out the handset and use the buttons if there are multiple messages.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Beyond this point, if there are multiple messages it becomes a nuisance to voice-send the various commands to the voicemail system, so I may pull out the handset and use the buttons if there are multiple messages.
At least on the Navi systems, Acura should put a up a keypad on the screen to allow simple commands to be entered.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by midas69
At least on the Navi systems, Acura should put a up a keypad on the screen to allow simple commands to be entered.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. Never thought of that.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:50 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy, this post was dredged up from the sands of time.

At any rate, with the new firmware (either the official Verizon or "SuperDave" version), pauses now work. So... the easiest way to fix this problem is to update the firmware, or -- even easier -- wait for the official upgrade to become available in your area, and have VERIZON update the firmware.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JT3
Boy, this post was dredged up from the sands of time.

At any rate, with the new firmware (either the official Verizon or "SuperDave" version), pauses now work. So... the easiest way to fix this problem is to update the firmware, or -- even easier -- wait for the official upgrade to become available in your area, and have VERIZON update the firmware.
So, you mean your V710?? could work with "pause" (with your new firmware)??

It will be great...
Old 12-14-2004, 06:35 PM
JT3
Instructor

Rets, if I understand your question correctly... Yes, with the new firmware, my v710 handles pauses sent through the HFL just fine. I've got them programmed into my "voicemail" entry. I say, "Call Voicemail," and the TL handles the rest... just as it should have from the beginning.

BTW, to be more precise, my "voicemail" entry is: *86, pause, pause, [my PIN].

So, the TL not only now handles pauses... it handles SEQUENTIAL pauses.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Advanced

I've become expert in programming and reprogramming voicemail pauses and scripts in the HFL in recent weeks.

My first mistake was thinking that HFL requires the letter P or some special symbol for a pause. Stating the word "pause" or better "pause pause" as the second part of your script after phone number, works fine. A common error is not realizing just how many pauses it takes to grab a second or two of delay. For my voicemail, I have to string together 4 paired "pauses" and one single pause to buy enough time.

Saving a voicedial phonebook entry and a separate "code" entry also works well. It was my next best solution to getting things right. Trouble is, my phone extension ends in "00", try as I might, the HFL would never get all the necessary digits transmitted.

My final solution was to put a single pause between the "*" symbol (recorded as "star") and each digit in my mailbox. Now it works like a charm.

So, now my working voicemail phonebook entry looks like this:
222-123-1234 -- -- -- -- - *-1-2-0-0
Old 12-14-2004, 09:16 PM
9th Gear

Pauses w 2005 tl HFL

I have successfully made the sequential pause thing work. I have the motorola v551 with cingular. I use it not only for voice mail, but also for paging people. I found the best way to enter is as previously described here by first entering the number, then hitting the HFL button again and saying, "pause pause pause" as many times as necessary. For example, for paging, I had to do trial and error with the number of pauses but eventually came up with:
xxx-xxx-xxxx pause ten times, then 123-456-7890#, and it works great. You just have to play around with the number of pauses. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
JT3
Instructor

I don't think everyone quite understands the issue here. The "pause issue" has ONLY been reported with the Motorola v710. The problem is that (with the original firmware) sending a pause through the HFL will cause the v710 to reset its bluetooth circuits, which causes the connection with the HFL to be broken, and the call to be terminated. In short, Pauses don't work through the HFL with this phone. It has nothing to do with HOW you program a pause in -- it's simply a bug with the firmware.

The new firmware for this phone fixes the issue. So far, I've not heard about this problem with ANY OTHER phone. The ability to send sequential pauses was never in question. I simply added that information in my last post to show that I'd tested that aspect. That way, people with the v710 would know that multiple pauses would work as well.

Oh... and btw... I simply entered my voicemail entry as "Star Eight Six Pause Pause" and my PIN, all in one sentence, all at one time, and it worked just fine. I didn't have to do anything special. You just have to be sure that you speak the complete set of numbers, characters (star or pound), and pauses without a lengthy delay in between.