Incoming text messages w/ bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incoming text messages w/ bluetooth

I had the V710 for a few days before returning it to Radio Shack because of the price.. I'll get it again later this week when it's released by Verizon..

I noticed strange behavior relating to text messages. When I would get a text message while driving, it would mute the stereo and the car would ring as if a phone call was coming in.. I'd see the phone number in the dash and everything.. When I would try to answer it, obviously no one was there and it wouldn't do anything. After hanging up the radio would come back on, but the word Phone would stay up in the display with the clock (I don't know the clever acronym for that display).

Is this normal? What is supposed to happen when a text message comes in? And finally, has anyone else seen this happen?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone have any info on this? I picked up the V710 today from Verizon but haven't tried it with the car yet. Does anyone else have this behavior when they receive an incoming text message?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

I don't have that phone. I have the Sony Ericsson T637 w/ AT&T Wireless service. When I get a text message, I hear the phone sound a notification but the car doesn't do anything. I figure this is how it should behave.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing here. I hear the phone when I get a text message but car does nothing- I havea Siemens S56 on Cingular
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

The same thing happens with the new V710 I bought today. When I get a text message, it rings in the car and it looks like a call is coming in. You can answer it but nothing happens, and it eventually disconnects. The radio comes back on but it's like the car still thinks it's on a call. It still says Phone in the top display by the clock, and the MID looks like it's on a call.

Can anyone else with a V710 confirm that this is happening too? Maybe it's an option to not send text messages via Bluetooth or something?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by mattyg30
The same thing happens with the new V710 I bought today. When I get a text message, it rings in the car and it looks like a call is coming in. You can answer it but nothing happens, and it eventually disconnects. The radio comes back on but it's like the car still thinks it's on a call. It still says Phone in the top display by the clock, and the MID looks like it's on a call.

Can anyone else with a V710 confirm that this is happening too? Maybe it's an option to not send text messages via Bluetooth or something?
Strange things happen with the 710 and the TL when you change your active ringtone or if you have it set to "vibrate" or "ring & vibrate".

Try setting it back to "Moonlit Haze" (the default) or "Alert" (a confirmed safe choice) and see what happens.

BJ
Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

I do have it set to Alert, but I had it on Vibrate.. I'll see what happens when it's not on Vibrate but that's definitely an annoying problem.

BoltJames, can you try it and confirm that it happens for you?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone?

Can someone else with a V710 try receiving a text message while in the car and report what happens?

Would be curious to know if it's a Bluetooth setting on the phone or just a bug. I don't get a lot of text messages, but it would be annoying to have it always think it's a phone call and mute the stereo when that Brittany Spears song is on.. Wait, what, who said that?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:44 PM
5th Gear

Well, HFL does the same when I get a text message on my V710.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

i get the incoming call on the dash, but no caller id, so that is how i know it is
a text message, so i just end the call and check the message on my phone,
but it would be nice to read text messages on the dash hahaha.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

I don't want to read the text message in the dash, I'd rather it just not do anything when a text message comes in. For me, I see the caller ID come up so I can't distinguish it from a regular call.

It's not the end of the world but it's annoying.. At least it's happening to other people too.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced

i have exactly the same issue.. in ALL modes (ring/vibrate) -- I get "you have an incoming call"- but its REALLY an incoming text OR a Voicemail rec'd when I had the phone off.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

This is a bit off topic here, but it says "you have an incoming call?" Mine just rings like a phone.. Is that something you can set in the TL?

Or were you just implying that and I look like a jackass? Either way I'm happy..
Old 08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

This is a bit off topic here, but it says "you have an incoming call?" Mine just rings like a phone.. Is that something you can set in the TL?

Or were you just implying that and I look like a jackass? Either way I'm happy..
no no, it says on the dash "incoming call" and rings. you can set it to ring or just flash on the display. it dosent actully say "you have an incoming call". but i dont see how yours
gives the caller id on a text message.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

It totally gives the caller ID on a text message. I haven't tried it on a Verizon to Verizon text message, but I don't see how it would make a difference. The message came from AT&T Wireless and showed the caller ID in the dash as if it was a phone call.. Very annoying. You can't distinguish it from a regular call, so you try to answer and no one is there, and then the display with the clock always says Phone.

I tried it on vibrate, ring, vib/ring, etc. All same result.

Like I said it's not a big deal but it's something we should report to Motorola as a bug.

And thanks for clearing up that bit about the incoming call.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

It totally gives the caller ID on a text message. I haven't tried it on a Verizon to Verizon text message, but I don't see how it would make a difference. The message came from AT&T Wireless and showed the caller ID in the dash as if it was a phone call.. Very annoying. You can't distinguish it from a regular call, so you try to answer and no one is there, and then the display with the clock always says Phone.

Like I said it's not a big deal but it's something we should report to Motorola as a bug.

no problem!, yeah i havent had a text message come in with caller id yet!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Advanced

I have added this issue to the letter being written to Motorola. If you would like to sign the letter, please see my thread on the topic in this forum.

Thanks.
Andy
Old 08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Advanced

umm-- hey kids.. y'all have to hit yer talk button and say SYSTEM. THEN, you can set a PROMPT or a TONE, or a BOY voice or a GIRL voice. Try it..
Old 08-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I can confirm this behavior. Also, if any of you use the included WAP browser in the phone, every time you hit a number key or the back button the stereo mutes, and the HFL displays 'PHONE'. Extremely annoying. Seems that the TL cannot differentiate an incoming call from an incoming text or the loading of different WAP webpages.

BJ
Old 08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
7th Gear

You are not alone . . .

It's nice (not nice, rather reasurring) that others have the EXACT problems I am having re: text messages, using the browser, etc. We can only hope Motorola is listening (or better yet, monitoring these incredibly informative discussion boards).

Bottom line for me is that I love the phone for how the phone performs its primary function. From zero bars in my office to 4 makes a huge difference for me. I believe, that over time, Motorola will do the right thing and make the necessary adjustments. I'll be patient and in the meantime will enjoy handsfree communication in my TL.

Mtalio
Old 08-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by matchjames
umm-- hey kids.. y'all have to hit yer talk button and say SYSTEM. THEN, you can set a PROMPT or a TONE, or a BOY voice or a GIRL voice. Try it..
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit ive been doing that since before i got the v710, id show all my friends how
i can talk to my car. hahaha
Old 08-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I have noticed is that the Caller ID displayed for this anomolous behaviour is the ID of the last call received by the HFL.

It makes the problem even more amusing.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
What I have noticed is that the Caller ID displayed for this anomolous behaviour is the ID of the last call received by the HFL.

It makes the problem even more amusing.
what you just said happened to me last night for the first time, i was in the car with
my friend and his id came up 2 times and im like yo stop calling me, hes like im not.
i checked the phone and i had 2 messages. but the other times it didnt give any id
for the text messages
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can set the TL to say ' you have a incomeing call' instead of a 'ring'.